The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,696 of 4,580
I got my K7XX today. I'm very happy with my purchase. 

I'm pretty surprised at how balanced these are. Their description had me thinking I was going to get something with more bass, and some impressions were leading me to believe that the upper midrange and treble would be harsh. That isn't really the case either way. All in all these are pretty balanced IMHO.

Bass is close to linear with just the slightest boost, and without being intrusive to the rest of the spectrum. Midrange is a little bit dry compared to my HD600, but resolution is world class. Treble is spot on in my opinion. It's crisp without being harsh. Using my Cayin C5, I like to use these with the bass boost feature because it not only brings the bass forward, it also adds a touch of warmth to the midrange.

Build quality is decent but not spectacular. I'm not a fan of the stretchy strings that keep the tension on the band. Comfort wise though these are excellent. I can wear these for long sessions with no problem.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,697 of 4,580
  I got my K7XX today. I'm very happy with my purchase. 

I'm pretty surprised at how balanced these are. Their description had me thinking I was going to get something with more bass, and some impressions were leading me to believe that the upper midrange and treble would be harsh. That isn't really the case either way. All in all these are pretty balanced IMHO.

Bass is close to linear with just the slightest boost, and without being intrusive to the rest of the spectrum. Midrange is a little bit dry compared to my HD600, but resolution is world class. Treble is spot on in my opinion. It's crisp without being harsh. Using my Cayin C5, I like to use these with the bass boost feature because it not only brings the bass forward, it also adds a touch of warmth to the midrange.

Build quality is decent but not spectacular. I'm not a fan of the stretchy strings that keep the tension on the band. Comfort wise though these are excellent. I can wear these for long sessions with no problem.

Just wait, listen to these puppies as much as you can and the bass extension and mids open right up. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,698 of 4,580
Can someone help me with this? I'm not as knowledgeable regarding preamps... This is about a K7xx setup integrated into a speaker setup with the Magni/Modi Uber amp/dac combo... Here is my Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/756007/help-with-amp-dac-combo-rec-regarding-audioengine-n22-p4-setup-and-akg-k7xx

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,699 of 4,580
Uber Bifrost and Asgard 2 with these headphones is effing cream in my pants. They kind of make me frown at my HD 598, these K7xx can get pretty damn deep O_O

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #1,700 of 4,580
Is there anyone with these and the K712? Is the headband on the K7Xx as saggy as the K712?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,701 of 4,580
Man oh man, its a toss up between these and the HD600. Both are pretty balanced. 

K7XX is more comfortable, open and airy sounding.

HD600 is more smooth and creamy with that beautiful midrange. I prefer the build quality on them also.

Both are excellent and get a big thumbs up from me.

You can't go wrong with either one.

For $200 these K7XX are definitely worthy of their asking price, and even a bit more. MSRP of $650 is ridiculous though and nothing more than a gimmick to sell headphones, just saying.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,702 of 4,580
  Man oh man, its a toss up between these and the HD600. Both are pretty balanced. 

K7XX is more comfortable, open and airy sounding.

HD600 is more smooth and creamy with that beautiful midrange. I prefer the build quality on them also.

Both are excellent and get a big thumbs up from me.

You can't go wrong with either one.

For $200 these K7XX are definitely worthy of their asking price, and even a bit more. MSRP of $650 is ridiculous though and nothing more than a gimmick to sell headphones, just saying.

Yeah i agre THe MSRP of K7XX is a Joke , they quoted the old MSRP of K702 65th anniversary edition , and advertised it has the K7XX MSRP price , BUT the K702 65th was made in Austria ...

Funny i thought my HD600 airier than the K702 65th Anv
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,703 of 4,580
I just received mine yesterday as well. Is amping absolutely necessary with the K7XX? My first test with them was connecting them to my MixAmp Pro 2013 and played Call of Duty. I had to turn the MixAmp volume to almost maximum to get decent game volume. Should that be happening? I know with my X1 connected directly to the MixAmp, I get good game volume with the knob halfway to maximum.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,704 of 4,580
  I just received mine yesterday as well. Is amping absolutely necessary with the K7XX? My first test with them was connecting them to my MixAmp Pro 2013 and played Call of Duty. I had to turn the MixAmp volume to almost maximum to get decent game volume. Should that be happening? I know with my X1 connected directly to the MixAmp, I get good game volume with the knob halfway to maximum.

Not absolutely necessary (I've got mine plugged directly into my computer right now and they're fine), but what you've described sounds right (having to turn the MixAmp almost all the way up).

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,705 of 4,580

If you want to hear what these cans are capable of, yes a good quality dac and amp are necessary. Mixamp does not drive them properly, which is why you have volume issues. I add a Magni to the mixamp when I game in my k7xx. Also, the mixamp clips the bass so be aware of that.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,706 of 4,580

Absolutely necessary, no. Will it make a difference, yes.
In my experience with the Astro you will have lots of distortion during explosions and chaotic scenes. This is even more pronounced when you factor in the mic mix. An amp will lead to a better gaming experience.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,707 of 4,580
Well i have shipped my K7XX's to AKG in CA, its gonna take 4 or 5 business days to get there, 7-10 for the repair and 4-5 back so i'm likely not to get them back until mid february. I guess I have my HE-400's to tide me over for now.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,708 of 4,580
  I have now bass port modded mine. I decided to do it after listening to music and watching some videos through my speakers and marvelling at the bass depth then putting the headphones on and the depth wasn't quite as deep. I missed that from the Q701 bass port modded.

Findings?

Soundstage remains epic, detail remains epic, the bass punch is right back how I like it and liken it to the Q7012 bass port modded but with the advantage of the K7XX detail and soundstage.
These sound a lot better than the Q701 did with the Annie memory foam earpads + bass port mod.
So for anyone considering doing the mod, those are my findings, you decide whether to do it or not for your preferences :p
For me these are now the ultimate VFM vs SQ headphone. Epic detail, epic soundstage, epic bass quality. The X2 was deep but the soundstage doesn't compare to this.

I'm powering both headphones and speakers through the NAD D 3020, for reference. Sweet combination.

I never had rattle before bass port mod and don't have it after either :)

mrk what did you use to remove the grills to do the mod? is the mod reversable and any regrets? since its been a few days.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,709 of 4,580
Needle point tweezers to twist unlock the covers. No regrets. I now have deeper bass detail so just what I was looking for. If you can stick the stickers back on with tweezers then sure it is reversible but it's pretty tight.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,710 of 4,580
For the bass port mod do you have to take apart the whole cover like this link?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back