The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,726 of 4,580
Those who have done the bass port mod, watch this new Power Rangers video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

The rumbles of the explosions at the start, so much detail in the sub bass :D

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,727 of 4,580
  Those who have done the bass port mod, watch this new Power Rangers video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

The rumbles of the explosions at the start, so much detail in the sub bass :D

The dubstep during the ending credits sounds amazing, too. Awesome share!

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,730 of 4,580
  Any downsides to the bass port mod?  I just got my K7xxs so I want to enjoy them as is for a bit but I am interested.

I wonder too. I have to believe that they covered that vent for a reason. It could be signature tuning or even power handling and distortion control. It is certainly part of the design. So far I have just listened for a couple of hours. I now have had them running for about 30 hours. I think by the weekend I can sit and do some serious listening. It would be real interesting to get someone with the proper gear to run some FR tests with the port closed and with it open.

With limited time on these, I can just say that I put them on and liked what I heard very much.

I have been listening pretty much exclusively to the HE 560 for about three weeks. Often when one changes headphones it takes a while to adjust. I didn't find this to be the case with the KXX. They don't have the resolution of the 560, but the signature is quite close to what I like for a pleasant listening experience. I definitely will say that they were very much worth the price that I paid.

For now I have just been listening through the headphone out of my NFB 11. I will play with some other sources and amps as I have time.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,731 of 4,580
Awesome.  I am using these out of an O2/ODAC and have been enjoying them very much. I was using the HD598 previously and the bass alone has made watching tv/movies very enjoyable.  I am looking forward to spending more time listening to these headphones.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,732 of 4,580
  Any downsides to the bass port mod?  I just got my K7xxs so I want to enjoy them as is for a bit but I am interested.

Have you had any other K7/Q7 AKG and done the port mod on those? If so you will know what to expect. I haven't noticed any downside yet and my music taste is mostly R&B, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Acoustic and some Indie.

Couple that with movies from SciFi to action.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #1,733 of 4,580
  Have you had any other K7/Q7 AKG and done the port mod on those? If so you will know what to expect. I haven't noticed any downside yet and my music taste is mostly R&B, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Acoustic and some Indie.

Couple that with movies from SciFi to action.

Unfortunately no.  I am pretty new into the audio scene and this is my first AKG.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,734 of 4,580
I haven't noticed any downside yet either, but it's only been a couple days. I listen to all kinds of music and movies. That said, as you are new to headfi I would not mod the k7xx just yet as it voids your warranty. Get more experience with the sound profile you like and then you can start messing around with this kind of stuff. Before modding I would recommend getting a good dac and tube amp and then doing some tube rolling to see different sound profiles.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,736 of 4,580
  I'm enjoying my first pair so much I decided to join this last drop. 

I think that once enough people have discovered what an insanely good $200 can this is they will wish they got one. I bet the price goes up once this last run of 1st edition is over....

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,738 of 4,580
Feb 25, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #1,740 of 4,580
Just joined the drop. Really stoked that the remaining units are on MassDrop again. Just have to be patient for the two weeks or so before they arrive. Sheesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back