The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,756 of 4,580
  I got mine yesterday!  NO rattle, even at well above my normal listening levels (loud).  I state this just for the naysayers that think this is cone breakup or something else inherent in "delicate" nature of AKG drivers...
rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4_DSyGc3Y4

Try a 20hz tone and see if you still don't have a rattle/flapping. Most music don't go below 40hz but movies can go below 20hz.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #1,758 of 4,580

Try a 20hz tone and see if you still don't have a rattle/flapping. Most music don't go below 40hz but movies can go below 20hz.

It sounds like maybe the driver is vibrating against something as it fluctuates. Also, it's interesting to see the difference in the quality of materials between the austria made and the china made sets up close like that (not that it necessarily means anything sound-wise).

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #1,759 of 4,580
  Dude are you kidding me? I ordered on Nov 30, just missed first drop, got my second drop set today! That's worth a double sheesh!

Supposedly the remaining 1,000 units are in the Massdrop fulfillment centre already, and will ship on March 6th.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,760 of 4,580
  It sounds like maybe the driver is vibrating against something as it fluctuates. Also, it's interesting to see the difference in the quality of materials between the austria made and the china made sets up close like that (not that it necessarily means anything sound-wise).

I found the chinese made K7 series feel cheap compared to the Austrian made ones. I found the K712 better made than the Austrian made Q701 and K702. I recently tried a Chinese K702, it felt so cheap compared to the Austrian K702 I almost thought it was fake. Sonically didn't notice any immediate differences in quality(didn't listen to either that long).

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,761 of 4,580
These are now only available to residents of the US. Who do we blame: AKG or Massdrop? As far as I am concerned they can go to Hades. I won't be buying from either outfit again.

Call me cynical. We couldn't even mention Massdrop a short time ago, now they are being pushed on the front page.

I wonder if this will get censored or get me banned. The entire site is one big advertising canvas anyway.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,763 of 4,580
These are now only available to residents of the US. Who do we blame: AKG or Massdrop? As far as I am concerned they can go to Hades. I won't be buying from either outfit again.

Call me cynical. We couldn't even mention Massdrop a short time ago, now they are being pushed on the front page.

I wonder if this will get censored or get me banned. The entire site is one big advertising canvas anyway.

They've only been available to the US after the first 1000, which was a long time ago...? It was AKG who told them they should never have been distributed internationally at all.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,764 of 4,580

Nope!  I checked mine very carefully (the K712 too, when I first got them), with a frequency sweep from 20-100 in Audacity as well as those   online tone generators everyone thinks are so great. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,765 of 4,580

Depends on your tastes. The HP200 is more neutral-ish with a bit of emphasis on the high end, while the K7xx has a wider soundstage, more bass, and less treble. I think the HP200 has slightly more forward mids. Both are exceptional headphones for their price range.

Thanks Change is Good for the reply.

That gets me thinking now, how would the Philips X2 Fidelio, NAD VISO HP50, Blue Mo-Fi (yes, I added that one!) or the new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Around Ear stack against the AKG K7XX?
I know they some cost more, some are open or closed.  However, the SQ I am looking for is balanced and "true" with a slight emphasis on bass / sub-bass. I am not a bass head but I don't want a can that is bass lite either. If the song needs bass its present and accounted for, if the mids or highs are calls for the too are present and accounted for.
I listen at home so portability is not a factor. I am not worried about amping either. These are for listening to rock (80s and 90s), modern rock (think Daughtry) and modern jazz, Adele and Norah Jones for female vocals.   

Before I pull the trigger on a can I want to make sure I am asking all the right questions.

Sorry for being a pain in the backside!

Best regards,
Eric

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,766 of 4,580
  I got mine yesterday!  NO rattle, even at well above my normal listening levels (loud).  I state this just for the naysayers that think this is cone breakup or something else inherent in "delicate" nature of AKG drivers...
rolleyes.gif

Here is the thing.  Two things actually.  I missed the first drop and bought some K712 to keep me happy while I waited for the next drop.  I cannot tell the difference between the K7XX and the K712.  Maybe my ears are shot (no, I doubt that) but if there is any difference at all it is so subtle I might need to take a whole day to blind A/B these two and see.  VERY good, especially for $199.  People worried about comparing these to other $200 headphones need to raise the bar a bit.  Maybe double, since the K702 65thAE is still over $400 on Amazon.

Second thing.  I'm thinking about buying a second pair in this last drop just to have spares or maybe for a future gift to someone.  I like them that much!  

So K712 and K7XX use now the same pad ?
redface.gif
(if the differences continue to still minor , it's just slight manufacturing process deviations then) .

But the K702 65 the AE is made in Austria , it's even more collector since AKG don't produce anymore iterations of K701 their .
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,768 of 4,580
  Not sure if it matters or if anyone cares.... but I changed the title of this thread to more accurately reflect what it has become. Someone PM'd me and made the suggestion, because the original title was maybe too long to work with search. So there you have it.

Yeah, much cleaner. Me likey.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,769 of 4,580
rolleyes.gif

Here is the thing.  Two things actually.  I missed the first drop and bought some K712 to keep me happy while I waited for the next drop.  I cannot tell the difference between the K7XX and the K712.  Maybe my ears are shot (no, I doubt that) but if there is any difference at all it is so subtle I might need to take a whole day to blind A/B these two and see.  VERY good, especially for $199.  People worried about comparing these to other $200 headphones need to raise the bar a bit.  Maybe double, since the K702 65thAE is still over $400 on Amazon.

Second thing.  I'm thinking about buying a second pair in this last drop just to have spares or maybe for a future gift to someone.  I like them that much!  

Your experience matches mine.  I had the K712 before the K7XX (first drop) and I found no audible differences.  My hearing was questioned several pages ago and it's definitely likely that I have enough hearing loss that I can't discern the subtle differences between these two.  Great headphones at $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back