The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,772 of 4,580
Mine finally arrived from December, all I have to compare to is my experience with my no longer owned HD555, and my owned ATH-M50. I have not done the bass mod and I think these have much more bass then the M50's. The clarity of everything else is basically leagues above the M50. They are so big on my small head but cover my big ears fine and barely touch my right ear so the imbalance issue I had with the M50 (the way they clamped, the right ear was always louder then the left) is not present. The headband does not feel uncomfortable but I do have a sock on it as the lowest point of the band is not low enough lol. I am using them out of a STX RCA out to my TX-nr525 then using zone 2 preamp out to a O2, it takes about a quarter of more turn than for the M50 on normal gain. So far I am extremely impressed and welcome the much wider soundstage and separation. I did all kinds of sweep tests ect. and I don't seem to have a rattle so that's good. Oh they are also the most comfortable headphones I have ever used I have had them on for about 6 hours so far. My audio consists of all types at mp3 320 or FLAC and a big chuck is 24 bit. My player is Jriver MC 19 with WASAPI no EQ.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #1,773 of 4,580
  Trying to gauge what these might sound like.  I understand that these are open, so apples and oranges.  But how do they compare to A900x?  

I owned the a900x, probably my fav closed back at any price point. Like you said, its apples to oranges. I'll say if you have the a900x, and got the k7xx, it wouldnt make the a900x redundant. I could quite happily swap between the two. They are more detailed and extend further at both ends of the frequency spectrum compared to the a900x. They are also more analytical and revealing of sources. K7xx really does well with good amplification (plenty of current/warmer source) and they sound great from tubes. A900x sounds great from pretty much any source. Of course K7xx has the AKG K7-series presentation and soundstage, whereas the a900x still has some of the best soundstage/imaging of any closed back. I think they compliment each other very well but then again i do love the a900x so there's that bias. They do have different sound signatures but it's not like you're going from a dt770 to the k7xx. The sound signature of the a900x is ******* sexual. Both cans sound nice and natural. They're actually more similar than different imo, though the mid range of the a900x is thicker and more euphoric and the treble smoother but slightly less detailed compared to the k7xx. I'm not a bass head but really enjoy the bass from either can. If i were to nitpick, k7xx has the slightest bit more bass quantity and extension but the difference is negligible. A900x might have punchier mid-bass but is less detailed/3D. Hope that helps

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,774 of 4,580
I own the made in Austria version of:

AKG K-701
AKG Q-701

and now the AKG K7xx mass drop limited edition.

I'm doing A & B's today on all sorts of exemplary songs, as well as A & B's on solo'd instrument tracks from recording sessions.  Will report back.

The headphone.com build a graphs are already not truly representative of these three, comparatively.  
More in a bit.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,775 of 4,580
Anyone tried driving their K7XX headphones with the Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card?
Can the SB-z at least decently drive the K7XX headphones?
(I already have a nice external DAC/amp, just asking on behave of someone else)

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,776 of 4,580

Nope!  I checked mine very carefully (the K712 too, when I first got them), with a frequency sweep from 20-100 in Audacity as well as those   online tone generators everyone thinks are so great. 

I think I might send mine in then since they rattle/flap under 40hz when I turn the volume up. Doesn't happen with music but does for a few movies.

Can you see if the outer caps on the K712 have foam covering them? You can tell by just shining a light to see if you can see through the grille without taking them off.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,777 of 4,580
  Thanks Change is Good for the reply.

That gets me thinking now, how would the Philips X2 Fidelio, NAD VISO HP50, Blue Mo-Fi (yes, I added that one!) or the new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Around Ear stack against the AKG K7XX?
I know they some cost more, some are open or closed.  However, the SQ I am looking for is balanced and "true" with a slight emphasis on bass / sub-bass. I am not a bass head but I don't want a can that is bass lite either. If the song needs bass its present and accounted for, if the mids or highs are calls for the too are present and accounted for.
I listen at home so portability is not a factor. I am not worried about amping either. These are for listening to rock (80s and 90s), modern rock (think Daughtry) and modern jazz, Adele and Norah Jones for female vocals.   

Before I pull the trigger on a can I want to make sure I am asking all the right questions.

Sorry for being a pain in the backside!

Best regards,
Eric

The only cheap option if you want sub bass is to go with IEM or a closed HP. The K7XX has more of a mid bass and upper bass bump. The bass really falls off below 50hz. Your only real option if you wanna stick with an open HP is go to with a planar like the HE-500.The K7XX doesn't do vocals very well, especially female vocals, because of the dip between 3-5k. They lack extension and air compared to HPs with a flatter FR in the mids.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,778 of 4,580
Let me preface by saying i'm quite sensitive, and these distinct differences amongst the Austrian made K701 and austrian-made Q701, with the mass drop k7XX, will be missed by most.  Most will just see the k7XX as having heavier/more bass, and everything else the same, more or less.

K701 still wins as a reference phone/engineering tool, IMHO.  it noticeably has the most air.  Biggest soundstage (although the aggressive panning and slightly smaller center channel presence on the k7XX fooled me for like 10 seconds).  k701 also has the most midrange accuracy and detail, and the most natural curve of the 3. Also, surprisingly, the K701 has the most prominent "bass guitar" presence, despite losing to the K7XX for sub bass below say, 60hz (which is quite a lot of the sub bass in southern rap (although not east coast), and many electronic genres. K701 is the easiest tool out there, for true detail freaks or pro audio guys, to hear across all ranges of the audible range, with speed, detail, accuracy, and very little coloration, shy of $1000.00 pricetag.

K7xx is by far the most "sennheiser like" of all 3 in terms of frequency response.  Less of the trademark, "exposing" AKG AIR.  Slightly less detail on common instrument frequencies in upper mids and lower highs than the K701, like above 3k.  A certain "dim, dark" absence of some >9k high frequency, is definitely featured here and in say, the sennheiser HD650.  Soundstage is still great, like all AKG open backs.  It is a great listening headphone, as it is very smooth and very bass heavy for an AKG.  But strictly as an engineering tool, it is not as truly great as the K701 or Q701.  K7XX's frequency range hides tape "hiss" from old recordings, as well as taking some sting and shrillness away from the cymbal/hi-hat/percussive range.  Again, this is truly great for listening pleasure on less than perfect recordings, or for someone who wants AKG soundstage, and AKG mids, without the typical piercing, AIRY AKG highs.

I look at the graphs of all 3 compared on headphone.com, and i'm convinced that they do not accurately represent the character of these .  By that graph, the Q701 has the most bass by far, and that is not real life.  The Q701 is actually the most "quiet" volume wise, overall, of all three (perhaps a slightly different impedance than advertised?), with the least present bass compared to the sharp piercing highs on it.  Keep in mind i am referring to the austrian-made Q-701.  I don't hear a supposed bass monster in the Q-701, compared to the K77X.  Q-701 is much more bright and less bass dominated.

Quite noticable differences for 3 headphones often referred to as "the same"

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,779 of 4,580

The only cheap option if you want sub bass is to go with IEM or a closed HP. The K7XX has more of a mid bass and upper bass bump. The bass really falls off below 50hz. Your only real option if you wanna stick with an open HP is go to with a planar like the HE-500.The K7XX doesn't do vocals very well, especially female vocals, because of the dip between 3-5k. They lack extension and air compared to HPs with a flatter FR in the mids.

Thanks Superballz (great name!) for the response.

Cheap is not necessarily my aim, but I do believe in the law of diminishing returns. 
What recommendations do you have along with HE-500 planar cans do you have, this includes IEMs.

Regards,
Eric

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,780 of 4,580
Just wondering if you guys use these exclusively at home?
These are my first pair of open back headphones in a while and I'm astounded at how much sound leaks and how everyone else in the room can hear  exactly what I'm listening to when I wear them.
Was thinking about lugging them to the library and coffee shop or office but doesn't seem like an option

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,781 of 4,580
  Just wondering if you guys use these exclusively at home?
These are my first pair of open back headphones in a while and I'm astounded at how much sound leaks and how everyone else in the room can hear  exactly what I'm listening to when I wear them.
Was thinking about lugging them to the library and coffee shop or office but doesn't seem like an option

These are certainly stay-at-home phones in my opinion!

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,782 of 4,580
Does removing the foam open up the soundstage at all? I don't really NEED the extra bass the foam pads supposedly gives, I just need the low end to not break up like they do on my 598. It seems these have a narrower stage than the 598 so if removing the pads opens it up I think I'll do it.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,784 of 4,580
No, the K712 does not have that foam.

I'm not really sure what that foam is intended to accomplish anyway...  maybe make it a bit less transparent to sound going out and coming in?  Perhaps to dampen any sort of reflections from the grill it is stuck to.  I doubt it makes much (if any) audible difference.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,785 of 4,580
I got mine yesterday!  NO rattle, even at well above my normal listening levels (loud).  I state this just for the naysayers that think this is cone breakup or something else inherent in "delicate" nature of AKG drivers...:rolleyes:

Here is the thing.  Two things actually.  I missed the first drop and bought some K712 to keep me happy while I waited for the next drop.  I cannot tell the difference between the K7XX and the K712.  Maybe my ears are shot (no, I doubt that) but if there is any difference at all it is so subtle I might need to take a whole day to blind A/B these two and see.  VERY good, especially for $199.  People worried about comparing these to other $200 headphones need to raise the bar a bit.  Maybe double, since the K702 65thAE is still over $400 on Amazon.

Second thing.  I'm thinking about buying a second pair in this last drop just to have spares or maybe for a future gift to someone.  I like them that much!  

Yep, got mine in a few days ago and they sound the same as my K712s and definitely more bass heavy than the K702 65ths between 60-120Hz. These are an amazing value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back