The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 28, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,801 of 4,580
Thanks for a great review. Confirms what I was expecting from other sources when I went in on the latest drop.

Currently my only over-ears are the HD598s, which I love for classical music, but which fall short on most everything else due to their distinct lack of bass extension. I think the K7XXs will complement the 598s really nicely for my home listening needs, and depending on how well the AKGs do with classical, the Senn's could be off to my ma, or a feature on EBay.

You're welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy the K7XX just as much as I am :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,804 of 4,580
I'm in the third drop. Just wondering... Will they still ship even if they don't sell all 1000 units?

They have a contact for 6000 from akg regardless, so yes they'll sell. Eventually they'll be gone. Selling the last 1k won't be that difficult.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,806 of 4,580
How are these compared to the HE-500?

I'm not sure if I have a reason to get another set of open-back desktop phones, but I haven't found any direct comparisons.

I read someone here compare the nodded k712 or k7xx to the he500s as similar. I have only briefly heard the he500,but I agree the modded k7xx is similar.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,807 of 4,580
  Thanks Change is Good for the reply.

That gets me thinking now, how would the Philips X2 Fidelio, NAD VISO HP50, Blue Mo-Fi (yes, I added that one!) or the new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Around Ear stack against the AKG K7XX?
I know they some cost more, some are open or closed.  However, the SQ I am looking for is balanced and "true" with a slight emphasis on bass / sub-bass. I am not a bass head but I don't want a can that is bass lite either. If the song needs bass its present and accounted for, if the mids or highs are calls for the too are present and accounted for.
I listen at home so portability is not a factor. I am not worried about amping either. These are for listening to rock (80s and 90s), modern rock (think Daughtry) and modern jazz, Adele and Norah Jones for female vocals.   

Before I pull the trigger on a can I want to make sure I am asking all the right questions.

Sorry for being a pain in the backside!

Best regards,
Eric

Switch the K7XX's for the K612 if your after bass. My K612's equal my DT770's in bass but have only a slightly smaller soundstage than the K7XX's. Honestly they are the most balanced headphones I've hear thus far.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,808 of 4,580
Switch the K7XX's for the K612 if your after bass. My K612's equal my DT770's in bass but have only a slightly smaller soundstage than the K7XX's. Honestly they are the most balanced headphones I've hear thus far.

That's crazy! I felt the K7XX has much more bass than the K612.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,813 of 4,580

My question is really - if I have the HE-500, is there a reason to get these? I'm reading great reviews of them, but my (used) set of HE500s are still going strong.

I have the 500's, but I also enjoy the K7XX for a couple of reasons.  I enjoy having a different sound signature to listen to occasionally, as well as the wide soundstage and airiness these have.  But the biggest reason is probably the weight.  The 500's feel really heavy after having worn the AKG's.  For me, the 500's have a better 3-dimensionality to them, and better depth in the soundstage, but the AKG's have their strengths as well.  If you buy them and don't love them, you could always sell them, and surely for only a minimal loss.  

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,814 of 4,580
My question is really - if I have the HE-500, is there a reason to get these? I'm reading great reviews of them, but my (used) set of HE500s are still going strong.

They are very similar so on a budget you might want a very different sounding can from your he500. Like was posted above, in my mind the weight of the he500 is a deal killer for me. The k7xx can be worn for hours and hours with no fatigue. I think everyone should own a k7xx as I think they are that good for the price, but not everyone will be willing and able to buy another $200 headphone. It's $200 and it's sound, imo, competes with the he500. What's to think about??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back