The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #1,786 of 4,580
  Thanks Superballz (great name!) for the response.

Cheap is not necessarily my aim, but I do believe in the law of diminishing returns. 
What recommendations do you have along with HE-500 planar cans do you have, this includes IEMs.

Regards,
Eric

I used my Fischer Audio DBA-02 mk1 exclusively for over three years and still find it to be my best sounding device. It has a flat response and the bass does extend to 20hz without much fall off if you have a good seal. The Vsonic GR07 has pretty good bass but I'm not sure how low they can go since they seem to be harder to get a good seal with unless you go with foam tips. I use triple flange tips with my DBA-02. You could always get customs for a perfect fit and choose the sound signature you want. The only down side with IEMs is that they have a really narrow soundstage. The great thing about them is that you can use them anywhere and they tend to have a much flatter FR than HPs.

It's kind of hard to get closed HPs with good clean bass since they tend to be a little boomy even when they have good low end extension. I don't have much experience with closed HPs since I hate how they make your ears sweat. You might wanna give the HE-400 since they're $300 instead of $500 like the HE-500. The major problem with the HE-400 is that vocals lack air and extension like the K7XX. The HD600 is much better for vocals and acoustic music but lacks sub bass since the low end falls off even more than the K7XX.

You will have to find compromises with most mid range HPs and IEMs. It might be better to just spend more money on one and be done with it rather than spend more down the road on more HPs. Custom IEM is probably your best bet if soundstage isn't a huge problem for you since you can have great sound where ever you go. If money is a problem then I would go with a $100-$200 IEM since they are so versatile. I find that I still use my IEMs about 80% of the time since I can take them with me and they give around 30db of isolation.

Does removing the foam open up the soundstage at all? I don't really NEED the extra bass the foam pads supposedly gives, I just need the low end to not break up like they do on my 598. It seems these have a narrower stage than the 598 so if removing the pads opens it up I think I'll do it.

They do open them up by quite a bit. You will surely notice it but it won't be night and day. You could always put them back if you don't like it. It takes less than a minute if you have the correct tools to turn the caps. I used two thumb tacks.

No, the K712 does not have that foam.

I'm not really sure what that foam is intended to accomplish anyway...  maybe make it a bit less transparent to sound going out and coming in?  Perhaps to dampen any sort of reflections from the grill it is stuck to.  I doubt it makes much (if any) audible difference.

The FR and CSD graphs on another forum showed that there was pretty much no change after removing the foam from the grille. I do notice that they sound more open and the soundstage is wider. They don't sound any airier or less congested. It's like going from a semi closed HP to an open HP.

I doubt the foam is there to dampen reflection since most of the reflection is from the flat surfaces before the grille. The Q701 has the foam as well but I don't think any of the other K7s have it.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #1,787 of 4,580
  Anyone tried driving their K7XX headphones with the Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card?
Can the SB-z at least decently drive the K7XX headphones?
(I already have a nice external DAC/amp, just asking on behave of someone else)

SBZ does a fine job driving these. Compared to my Aune T1/FiiO E9 combo, the SBZ lacks a bit in bass body and punch and has a drier, colder sound. Comfortable listening volume for me is 35-40% and anything above 50% is deafening.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,788 of 4,580
  Let me preface by saying i'm quite sensitive, and these distinct differences amongst the Austrian made K701 and austrian-made Q701, with the mass drop k7XX, will be missed by most.  Most will just see the k7XX as having heavier/more bass, and everything else the same, more or less.

K701 still wins as a reference phone/engineering tool, IMHO.  it noticeably has the most air.  Biggest soundstage (although the aggressive panning and slightly smaller center channel presence on the k7XX fooled me for like 10 seconds).  k701 also has the most midrange accuracy and detail, and the most natural curve of the 3. Also, surprisingly, the K701 has the most prominent "bass guitar" presence, despite losing to the K7XX for sub bass below say, 60hz (which is quite a lot of the sub bass in southern rap (although not east coast), and many electronic genres. K701 is the easiest tool out there, for true detail freaks or pro audio guys, to hear across all ranges of the audible range, with speed, detail, accuracy, and very little coloration, shy of $1000.00 pricetag.

K7xx is by far the most "sennheiser like" of all 3 in terms of frequency response.  Less of the trademark, "exposing" AKG AIR.  Slightly less detail on common instrument frequencies in upper mids and lower highs than the K701, like above 3k.  A certain "dim, dark" absence of some >9k high frequency, is definitely featured here and in say, the sennheiser HD650.  Soundstage is still great, like all AKG open backs.  It is a great listening headphone, as it is very smooth and very bass heavy for an AKG.  But strictly as an engineering tool, it is not as truly great as the K701 or Q701.  K7XX's frequency range hides tape "hiss" from old recordings, as well as taking some sting and shrillness away from the cymbal/hi-hat/percussive range.  Again, this is truly great for listening pleasure on less than perfect recordings, or for someone who wants AKG soundstage, and AKG mids, without the typical piercing, AIRY AKG highs.

I look at the graphs of all 3 compared on headphone.com, and i'm convinced that they do not accurately represent the character of these .  By that graph, the Q701 has the most bass by far, and that is not real life.  The Q701 is actually the most "quiet" volume wise, overall, of all three (perhaps a slightly different impedance than advertised?), with the least present bass compared to the sharp piercing highs on it.  Keep in mind i am referring to the austrian-made Q-701.  I don't hear a supposed bass monster in the Q-701, compared to the K77X.  Q-701 is much more bright and less bass dominated.

Quite noticable differences for 3 headphones often referred to as "the same"

I've been saying this since I heard the K7XX. The first thing I noticed was how closed they sounded, removing the foam on the outer caps made it better. They second thing I noticed was that vocals lacks air and extension. I also hate how vocals are more directional rather than floating in the center. It's like there is a hole in the center of the soundstage. I was expecting the K7XX to have almost speaker like presentation but that is not the case. My IEMs have better presentation on acoustic tracks which is a little sad. I also don't buy that the K7XX has the same soundstage as the K712 and K702 Annies since those latter HPs don't have foam covering the grille. The K7XX has a more consumer friendly sound but lost pretty much everything that made the K701/2 great.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #1,791 of 4,580

So K712 and K7XX use now the same pad ?
redface.gif
(if the differences continue to still minor , it's just slight manufacturing process deviations then) .

But the K702 65 the AE is made in Austria , it's even more collector since AKG don't produce anymore iterations of K701 their .
tongue.gif

They use exactly the same pad.  I even did a compression test on the memory foam of the two, side by side.  If there is a difference, I can't detect it.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,792 of 4,580
  No, the K712 does not have that foam.

I'm not really sure what that foam is intended to accomplish anyway...  maybe make it a bit less transparent to sound going out and coming in?  Perhaps to dampen any sort of reflections from the grill it is stuck to.  I doubt it makes much (if any) audible difference.

Who are you responding to? If it's me what does the K712 have to do with anything lol

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,794 of 4,580
Just removed the pads, I def did notice them open a noticeable bit, thanks for the tip with the thumb tacks, tried other things that didn't work too well, tacks worked great.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,796 of 4,580
Just removed the pads, I def did notice them open a noticeable bit, thanks for the tip with the thumb tacks, tried other things that didn't work too well, tacks worked great.

Other than soundstage, any noticeable difference in the sound signature after removing the pad behind the grill?

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,797 of 4,580

I was talking about the foam covering the grille not the foam inside the ear pads. I think the K712 should have a larger soundstage since it doesn't have the foam on the caps.

Yeah, I know.  I answered you too...  scroll up a couple of posts to see the confusion.  No, the K712 does not have the foam behind those caps.  Yes, they do have that foam ring over the drivers.

I hear no difference in soundstage.  There might be one, but it's not night-and-day obvious by any means.  Not sure why a bit of thin foam on the caps would affect the sound stage anyway.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,798 of 4,580
Decided to write a short review on this fantastic headphone. Here it is, everyone. Hope you enjoy!

[size=12pt]Intro[/size]

[size=12pt]Well, after almost two years on Head-fi, I feel it is time to put my words out there and write my first review. In doing so, I feel it is only right that it be about the newly released AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition. There are only a few days left on the final drop of 1000 units, and with no definite word on whether production will continue, I feel the need to make people aware of just how wonderful these babies are, and for only $200! This has been the best value per performance ratio that I have heard out of any headphone to date in my short audiophile-ish life. I chose to purchase this headphone because I am an avid lover of the AKG house sound; some of my most favorite headphones, to date, are the K712 and K702 65th Anniversary Edition.[/size]

[size=12pt]Now, I have to re-iterate on my short audiophile-ish life (key in on ish) before continuing. This is my first review and I want readers to familiarize themselves with my preferences and experience. I have yet to expand my listening on the higher end stuff. My limited experience consists of mostly mid-fi headphones under $500 on similarly priced sources and gear. If you want to see my current and prior line-up, just check out my profile. I prefer warm, bassy headphones, with slightly recessed mids and smooth but not recessed treble (SRH1540, anyone?). I do, however, appreciate other sound signatures for their strengths, but am not the flat response neutral-head audiophile. I mostly listen to Rap/Hip Hop and R&B/Soul, with some Jazz, Reggae, Classic Rock, and Pop on occasions.[/size]

[size=12pt]Okay, enough about me. On to the star of the show…[/size]

[size=12pt]AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Review[/size]

[size=12pt]Physical build and accessories:[/size]

[size=12pt]The K7XX is built pretty nicely and is sturdy for such a light headphone. It has an adjustable flat leather headband, (ridding the bumps of prior models such as the K701, K702, and Q701) and the ear pads are made of soft memory foam.[/size]

[size=12pt]It doesn't come with many accessories, which I believe to be its biggest con. All you receive is the headphones, a 10ft mini XLR to 1/8 inch cable, a 1/4 inch adapter, and manufacturer paperwork. Still, for the asking price, there is not much to complain about, here. The K702 65th Anniversary Edition is almost twice its price and comes with the same accessories. Only the K712 has a decent amount of accessories included (two cables and a carrying bag), and even that is almost twice the price of the K7XX. [/size]

[size=12pt]Comfort:[/size]

[size=12pt]When I say comfortable, man, these are COMFORTABLE!!! I mostly use these for gaming on my PS4, which often end up being sessions of hours upon hours on end (no, I don't have much of a life outside of school and work *sad face*). This is the only headphone I have been able to wear for so long without any fatigue from comfort or sound. If you need a headphone for long listening sessions, and the sound fits your preference, look no where else. You have found your perfect match (I did!).[/size]

[size=12pt]Sound:[/size]

[size=12pt]Massdrop claims that their signature AKG K7XX has a matched response to that of the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by using the same driver technology. Well, based off memory, I can confirm that this is correct. I owned the Anniversary a while back and, as I mentioned before, this is familiar territory for me as I am extremely fond of that headphone.[/size]

[size=12pt]The bass is tight, articulate, and just north of neutral to my ears. It does a great job of being present while not bleeding into the mids. It kicks when it needs to, and relaxes when asked. It does a beautiful job of mixing in with the rest of the spectrum, while still being slightly warm and liking for the consumer audience. The extension is very nice, but not as deep as the likes of its open counterpart, the K612. Still, AKG does a great job of improving the bass presence of the drier K702/Q701 with this wonderful headphone. Bassheads, however, may need to look elsewhere. Though it is one of the K7XX's strengths, it is by far NOT a bassy headphone.[/size]

[size=12pt]The mids are also a strong point, here. Though not as forward as the likes of most mid-centric cans, I just love how its voice presentation blends in. Vocals absolutely shine when it is the star of the show, and the fact that there is no bass bleed makes for a wonderfully smooth experience. Male vocals are more present than female, but there is a slight grain in the upper mid range on certain tracks. This is a similar experience that I had with the K702 Anniversary Edition, which was the major difference between it and the K712 I purchased right after, which slightly improves on that minor flaw. The K7XX has that same flaw, so I can assume that difference is the same when compared to the smoother K712.[/size]

[size=12pt]Highs are the most sensitive frequency range for my ears. I do not like overly bright headphones, though I do appreciate their detail and clarity on certain genres. The K7XX's treble does a great job of falling right where I want it to be, detailed without being bright or recessed. If I were to make an analogy, I would have to say the highs are that one person in the crowd who is unique and appealing, but doesn't necessarily stand out. The treble is very well behaved while still having a good level of clarity and presence. It is by far some of the best treble I have heard on an open headphone. It can be a bit brittle, at times, but I think that is more to blame on the poorly recorded track rather than the headphones.[/size]

[size=12pt]My favorite thing about this headphone is its wonderful soundstage and instrument seperation. Because of the large soundstage, it allows the K7XX to have no weaknesses in its sound presentation. The slightly north of neutral bass has room to breathe, resulting in that sensual transition from lows to mids without any muddiness or bass bleed. Also, when gaming, the large soundtstage allows for pin point accuracy when trying to define where sounds are coming from. A definite strength, arguably its best.[/size]

[size=12pt]Sound leakage and isolation is poor, but that is to be expected from an open headphone. This is strictly for home use in quiet environments.[/size]

[size=12pt]Conclusion:[/size]

[size=12pt]Massdrop's variation of AKGs K700 line is one that is surprisingly low priced based on its sound performance. The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition is a great all-rounder, one that does most, if not all, genres very well. I know this can be a bit cliché, but it is indeed a jack of all trades kind of headphone. If you are looking for a good headphone for all purposes at home, this is one you should look at very closely. There is no definite timetable for when/if AKG will manufacture more, so I strongly suggest to get your hands on one if the situation calls for it.[/size]

[size=12pt]It has been my pleasure to share my thoughts with you all about this marvelous headphone. I hope I touched on most of what readers search for when reading a headphone review. Please feel free to give me some feedback and pointers for future reviews, should I have missed or messed up on anything. Thank you for reading![/size]

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,799 of 4,580

Yeah, I know.  I answered you too...  scroll up a couple of posts to see the confusion.  No, the K712 does not have the foam behind those caps.  Yes, they do have that foam ring over the drivers.

I hear no difference in soundstage.  There might be one, but it's not night-and-day obvious by any means.  Not sure why a bit of thin foam on the caps would affect the sound stage anyway.

I removed the foam behind the grill. Not sure exactly how to explain the difference. The soundstage does still seem similar to me, but it seems like the individual instruments have more of their own space to play in now - maybe that is what an increased soundstage sounds like, Bass and sub seem the same to me, everything just has a little tiny bit more room to breathe.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,800 of 4,580
Quote:
  Decided to write a short review on this fantastic headphone. Here it is, everyone. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for a great review. Confirms what I was expecting from other sources when I went in on the latest drop.

Currently my only over-ears are the HD598s, which I love for classical music, but which fall short on most everything else due to their distinct lack of bass extension. I think the K7XXs will complement the 598s really nicely for my home listening needs, and depending on how well the AKGs do with classical, the Senn's could be off to my ma, or a feature on EBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back