The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #1,683 of 4,580
I no longer get the rattle on the bass sweep track that has been posted on numerous occasions. Prior to sending in to AKG it was very noticeable on low bass notes on the test track. It was never really audible listening to music unless you turned it up way louder than I would ever listen to. I already packed them up and listed them for sale here so I don't plan on using them or doing any more testing.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,684 of 4,580
Can anyone listen to my sound file of the rattle and tell me if this is the same rattle you experienced?

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-taylor-178/soundk7xxcheck

I want to make sure this is what everyone is experiencing, i finally found one song that shows this in music.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,685 of 4,580
  Can anyone listen to my sound file of the rattle and tell me if this is the same rattle you experienced?

I want to make sure this is what everyone is experiencing, i finally found one song that shows this in music.

PM'ed - figure it is better to handle this off-thread.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,686 of 4,580
Just got my k7xx from akg yesterday, they replaced the drivers and the pads and they sound really good. Bass is slightly overwhelming on some tracks but perfect on others. I am running these of my x3 and can't help but feel they need more power as they sound amazing out of my receiver.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,687 of 4,580
I wasn't supposed to get mine until "early March", but I just got a shipping notification!!!

Can't wait to try these out! 
k701smile.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,688 of 4,580
  I wasn't supposed to get mine until "early March", but I just got a shipping notification!!!

Can't wait to try these out! 
k701smile.gif

They sent it via pigeon mail and you won't receive them until early March :p

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,689 of 4,580
I have now bass port modded mine. I decided to do it after listening to music and watching some videos through my speakers and marvelling at the bass depth then putting the headphones on and the depth wasn't quite as deep. I missed that from the Q701 bass port modded.

Findings?

Soundstage remains epic, detail remains epic, the bass punch is right back how I like it and liken it to the Q7012 bass port modded but with the advantage of the K7XX detail and soundstage.
These sound a lot better than the Q701 did with the Annie memory foam earpads + bass port mod.
So for anyone considering doing the mod, those are my findings, you decide whether to do it or not for your preferences :p
For me these are now the ultimate VFM vs SQ headphone. Epic detail, epic soundstage, epic bass quality. The X2 was deep but the soundstage doesn't compare to this.

I'm powering both headphones and speakers through the NAD D 3020, for reference. Sweet combination.

I never had rattle before bass port mod and don't have it after either :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,690 of 4,580
  Just got my k7xx from akg yesterday, they replaced the drivers and the pads and they sound really good. Bass is slightly overwhelming on some tracks but perfect on others. I am running these of my x3 and can't help but feel they need more power as they sound amazing out of my receiver.

Yes. Next step is a better amp. I've got an X3 and even my modest HiFiMan EF-2A with a set of Radiotechnique 5654 tubes is a decent step up.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #1,691 of 4,580
I am absolutely loving my k7xxs paired with my project Solstice (using 12av7) from garage 1217. This amp makes my k7xx just blossom.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,694 of 4,580
  wait till you guys try the k7xx with the ZO FS and any DAC. absolutely breath taking. it takes fun to the max

I'll be using mine with a Schiit Bifrost Uber and an Schiit Asgard 2

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,695 of 4,580
Gotta use these with a quality dac and amp. Find they are loving tubes as well. I am using modi right now, but bifrost uber is on my list to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back