The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,086 of 6,345

I doubt he's spending an entire hour with only the K712. I bet he's constantly switching back and forth after every track during that hour...

That's a bad way to compare. He seriously needs to leave the Q701 alone for like a week. ONLY use the K712, THEN go back. Constant A/B switching does nothing. You've been so acclimated to the Q701, of course your tastes are gonna shift towards it. Especially when it comes to a tonal change like the Annie was to the Q701. Of course it's gonna come off as overly warm and smooth. To say it's undetailed and veiled... your ears need to leave that Q701 alone for awhile when you review other headphones.

It's hard seeing his impressions shift so wildly, even with the same headphone.

Guys...who on earth said anything about constantly switching between them? I listened to them for at least 3 hours before I even thought about doing an A/B switch. A/B comparisons are not good but sometimes are required.

Hey if you want, please type me up a 50 page report on how to properly leave impressions! It would really help!

Also..i've gotten used to the more bassy modded Q701 sound. If you haven't heard that then you'll think my impressions are way off the mark. Well...duh!

I can't say it enough but there is basically not much tonal change between the modded Q701 and K712 Pro. Feel free to say i'm wrong, but unless you have a modded Q701 you can't really say this.

BTW I'm not listening to these to do anyone any favors really. All I'm doing is listening for myself and to post impressions. If you don't like them all you do is ignore them.

I don't care if you think i'm wrong.

If you don't agree with them you can go out and buy a Q701 and mod it and compare it.

When I listen to this K712 it basically sounds like my modded Q701 with minor tweaks. It sounds really good. What were you wanting me to say? Maybe that it's super awesome and SOOOOO much better than that crappy Q701.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,087 of 6,345

I don't base all my impressions on the Q701, are you nuts? Who does that?
All my impressions of the K712 Pro are against the modded Q701. That's all i'm interested in. I told people when I tried the K712 Pro I would compare it to the modded Q701. I'm doing it mainly for myself and Q701 fans. Not just for people who already own the K712. Sorry if you don't like that!
 I never compare anything else to the Q701 unless someone asks or they're similar. When I review equipment I use ALL my headphones. Testing them with just a Q701 is beyond dumb.

BTW 99% of the time if I love a headphone on the first listen my opinion never changes. The only case of this happening is maybe with the Sony MDR-V6. The idea of getting used to a new sound doesn't make sense to me. The K712 Pro isn't a new sound to me. Just a slightly altered one.

Maybe I can send you my resume by PM to make sure I meet your qualifications!

I listen to random music, repeat tracks, do a/b comparisons and then sometimes just stop over-analyzing everything and just listen. I do it however I want. Not for you. Despite what you think, it's not hard to compare headphones without doing an A/B non-stop. The K712 Pro and modded Q701 are incredibly easy to compare.

I got the K712 Pro at around 2pm and it's now 7pm..is that an acceptable length of time for me to leave impressions? I should have asked for your permission!

I meant to say base your impressions off your Q701... not on. My bad choice of words...

And chill the fuss out, meng. You're taking my criticism a bit personal aren't you? Also, it's not just my criticism...

I can care less about what you think of the K712, Q701, or Beats by Dre by for that matter. Others that don't have the K712 do, however, and take everyone's impressions in this thread to heart. That is why some people visit these forums, correct? To get reliable impressions, right?

All we are saying is that constant A/B-ing does NOTHING when your ears are so accustomed to one of them... which then makes the whole process of "putting them on your head and pressing play" unreliable.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #2,088 of 6,345

Guys...who on earth said anything about constantly switching between them? I listened to them for at least 3 hours before I even thought about doing an A/B switch. A/B comparisons are not good but sometimes are required.

Hey if you want, please type me up a 50 page report on how to properly leave impressions! It would really help!

Also..i've gotten used to the more bassy modded Q701 sound. If you haven't heard that then you'll think my impressions are way off the mark. Well...duh!

I can't say it enough but there is basically not much tonal change between the modded Q701 and K712 Pro. Feel free to say i'm wrong, but unless you have a modded Q701 you can't really say this.

BTW I'm not listening to these to do anyone any favors really. All I'm doing is listening for myself and to post impressions. If you don't like them all you do is ignore them.

I don't care if you think i'm wrong.

If you don't agree with them you can go out and buy a Q701 and mod it and compare it.

When I listen to this K712 it basically sounds like my modded Q701 with minor tweaks. It sounds really good. What were you wanting me to say? Maybe that it's super awesome and SOOOOO much better than that crappy Q701.

I will repeat one more time what Mad just said, which I (and many others in these forums) agree on when comparing headphones.

"You need to leave the Q701 alone for like a week. ONLY use the (fill in the blank) , THEN go back."

No 50 page report needed...
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,089 of 6,345
That's a bad way to compare. He seriously needs to leave the Q701 alone for like a week. ONLY use the K712, THEN go back. Constant A/B switching does nothing. You've been so acclimated to the Q701, of course your tastes are gonna shift towards it. Especially when it comes to a tonal change like the Annie was to the Q701. Of course it's gonna come off as overly warm and smooth. To say it's undetailed and veiled... your ears need to leave that Q701 alone for awhile when you review other headphones.

It's hard seeing his impressions shift so wildly, even with the same headphone.

You should read my impressions of the K712 again. No impression shifting at all. I did hold back on my negative impressions of the Annie a little.
Going from the Q701 to Annie isn't like going from the modded Q701 to K712. It's a much smaller difference. I wish you could hear the modded Q701 so you'll understand i'm not crazy and hearing things.

Someone said the modded Q701 won't sound like a K712 Pro. Well, I disagree. You can give pretty close. Like within 5%

The K712 Pro doesn't sound very warm (or dark). It sounds about perfect.

I don't really know what you're all complaining about. Bizarre. I think this is the first time I heard people complain about POSITIVE impressions.

Man I should have said it's an HD-800 KILLER then you'd love me.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2,090 of 6,345
"Hey if you want, please type me up a 50 page report on how to properly leave impressions! It would really help!"

I like it, very good quote :D

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,091 of 6,345
You guys are really ruining my fun with the K712 Pro. Oh well. I was actually enjoying them. Weird!

I've been using them from 2pm until 7:40pm and did maybe 4-5 songs in an A/B comparison.

I can't use them for a week.

I know why you have a lot to complain about, but that's OK. Someone will appreciate my comparisons.

I will leave final impressions after a few more days.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,092 of 6,345
That bass mod on Q701 must be some hell of a tuning.. Like "Dr. Dre medicine" kind of change. Those Q701 I've heard on the same setup I am listening to K712 Pro were nowhere near to the K712 Pro amount of bass. They had even less bass than my HD800. I would call them bass shy... Even coming from the HD800s.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,095 of 6,345
  That bass mod on Q701 must be some hell of a tuning.. Like "Dr. Dre medicine" kind of change. Those Q701 I've heard on the same setup I am listening to K712 Pro were nowhere near to the K712 Pro amount of bass. They had even less bass than my HD800. I would call them bass shy... Even coming from the HD800s.

It's not a huge boost really, but quite nice and doesn't alter the stock signature in many other areas. When I had the Q701 stock I would always use the HD-650 for movies and gaming because it had more warmth and more bass (especially low bass). With the modded Q701 there is almost no need to get out the HD-650 anymore. The modded Q701 is my idea of a mix between maybe a Q701 (or K702?) and HD-650. The K712 Pro is pretty close too.

NOBODY has yet compared an actual K712 Pro to a modded Q701. You can't really guess how it will sound like. I can't wait to see more people do this. There is going to be a lot of butt-hurt people. Sorry I had to say that.
ph34r.gif

Someone can take measurements sometime. Tyll, where are you?

Like I said before, maybe my Q701 stock is slightly warmer/bassier than other pairs? Probably impossible. It really doesn't work well with Annie pads at all and maybe this is why my modded Q701 sounds so similar to the K712.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #2,096 of 6,345
  K712...I like it. So far so good. Doesn't sound dark at all to me.

I guarantee you will love the K712 Pro!
It IS weird and makes no sense why I like the K712 and not the Annie. Nothing changed.

It makes sense why you all like the K712 PRO. I'd probably be happy with either of them.

The K712 Pro doesn't sound very warm (or dark). It sounds about perfect.

Thanks tdockweiler for the impressions! Some of your words like shown above have motivated me to purchase the K712 and give it a try~~ 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,097 of 6,345

Thanks tdockweiler for the impressions! Some of your words like shown above have motivated me to purchase the K712 and give it a try~~ 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks. I always knew I was going to turn into a K712 Fanboy
tongue_smile.gif
J/k

About a million people told me i'd hate this (myself included) and boy were they ever wrong!

Still no idea why I dislike the Annie but not the K712.

Maybe it's due to the flatter pads of the Annie

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,099 of 6,345

That is why some people visit these forums, correct? To get reliable impressions, right?

People visit to get impressions, the only reliable impression is your own.

I don't see any problem with someone's individual method of coming to conclusions about a certain headphone.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,100 of 6,345
I don't have a problem with td or his thoughts, I was only implying what I think.

The issue was not what he thinks about the K712, but rather how his impressions are sometimes all over the place.

What I mean by all over the place is how different his impressions are between the Anniversary vs Q701 (unmodded) and the K712 vs Q701 (modded). Reason being because the K712 and Anniversary are very similar and almost the same.

My assumption of why he may like the K712 better than the Anniversary is not because of the thicker pads, but because his ears have adjusted to the now warmer modded Q701 (resulting in an easier and similar comparison). His description of the Anniversary in his review is entirely different than what his current impressions are of the K712. This is why we all (including himself) thought he would not like the K712.

My point is, now that his ears adjusted to the warmer Q701 after modification maybe the K712 seems more forgiving. I'm not knocking his impressions... I just didn't like how he reacted to criticism by assuming I did not like what he said. All I said was that his "impressions were... just... I don't know." He did not take that comment very well...

Either way I'm now done talking about it. Let us move on... because I give up. Maybe its my words that don't make sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back