The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2,071 of 6,349
  Thanks for the sanity check.  At first I thought it was just a good synergy between the K712 and my Soloist but it appears that may not be the case.  Though I do still think the Soloist has a good synergy with it.  Others have reported the same synergy with other 700 series headphones so it doesn't surprise me.  I actually had to use parametric EQ to tone down the 2khz and around 10khz by about 2-3db.  I remember preferring my AD2000X to the Annies slightly but I don't think that would be the case with the K712.  And I got mine for $385 so for the money it's really awesome.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: I definitely think the highs are probably the biggest weakness of the K712.  They have a slight tinge of artificiality.  This could be in part the Modi dac though.  And for proper perspective, my previous headphone was the HD800 so of course I'm used to very good quality highs.

I don't find the Modi bright or treble emphasized at all. No more than the ODAC.
Yesterday I was trying the treble happy T90 and it actually made it sound smoother than with my new DAC
confused_face_2.gif

Not by much really though.

The T90 was the first headphone where I could probably tell apart some differences in my DACs. ODAC, Modi and Micro DAC sound pretty much identical in sound. I believe they're all basically transparent.
The CS4398 in the Micro DAC seems the most detailed and revealing of all of them though. It's slightly harder to pick out the lower quality tracks with the Modi compared to the Micro DAC. I love the Modi though and sounds always smooth to me.
Sometimes it sounds a little forgiving too (like the ODAC).

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,072 of 6,349
Those impressions, lol. I dont know anymore .

I expect a dramatic change tomorrow, or that one of his amps makes it a different sounding headphone altogether.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,073 of 6,349

I don't find the Modi bright or treble emphasized at all. No more than the ODAC.
Yesterday I was trying the treble happy T90 and it actually made it sound smoother than with my new DAC
confused_face_2.gif

Not by much really though.

The T90 was the first headphone where I could probably tell apart some differences in my DACs. ODAC, Modi and Micro DAC sound pretty much identical in sound. I believe they're all basically transparent.
The CS4398 in the Micro DAC seems the most detailed and revealing of all of them though. It's slightly harder to pick out the lower quality tracks with the Modi compared to the Micro DAC. I love the Modi though and sounds always smooth to me.
Sometimes it sounds a little forgiving too (like the ODAC).

I should have clarified that it was in reference to the Resonessence Concero which is rather smooth but detailed in the highs.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,074 of 6,349

I expect a dramatic change tomorrow, or that one of his amps makes it a different sounding headphone altogether.

Unless there is a fault of my setup it's not going to change. Everything is sounding the best it's ever been. All my headphones. FYI I did have a random issue on day one when I had the Annie, but it wasn't enough to really alter any impressions.

In 3 years my amp has never turned a headphone into something it's not. My amp is not warm/dark, but not cold/thin/bright. I actually think it's more transparent than even the O2, but according to some that's not hard to do?

When I reviewed my amp once I found out some of what I was describing was coming from my HRT MSII. Such as compressed soundstage, being too warm etc.
biggrin.gif

The Micro Amp has always been amazing with EVERY AKG headphone. It doesn't fix any issues I have with the K702 though. Oh darn.

I guarantee you will love the K712 Pro!

I think my Modi might be .5% warmer than this Micro DAC
biggrin.gif
I only heard a tiny amount of warmth with the Modi only when I used it with the T90. Basically inaudible.

I was supposed to be working today but guess that's not happening..

It IS weird and makes no sense why I like the K712 and not the Annie. Nothing changed.

DISCLAIMER: My Amp isn't a night and day difference from the O2. It basically has an ultra tiny bit more body to the sound perhaps and smoother treble, more detail and more power etc. It's possible the K712 would sound even better with a warmer setup. None found here from my amp/dac that I can detect. Even with that the Q701/hd-650 still sounds warm.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,075 of 6,349

Yeah, I don't know either lol.  When I had the Annies it was with your old SA-31 that you sold me awhile back.  Now I have the Soloist driving the K712 and have no desire to change my amp anytime soon.  Even kept it when I downgraded to the Modi and sold my HD800.

The more I listen though, the more I want to make this combo my #1 recommendation for Rock/Metal music.  It really does fit the genre really well.  At least out of the gear that I've owned.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,077 of 6,349
It seems that the soundstage of the K712 is SLIGHTLY more closed in than the Q701 and this does make some things (such as male vocals) sound  more forward.
I was listening to some Jpop and on the Q701 the female vocals are easier to bear because everything was more spaced out. It's hard figuring out what is supposed to be more distant or if it's due to differences in the frequencies.

Right now my money is on the modded Q701 being more smooth/flat to my EARS. Measurements really don't mean anything here. I prefer the low mids of the modded Q701 despite being perhaps a little thinner.

If you listen to "Soon Forget" from Pearl Jam eddie vedder's vocals are much more forward sounding. On the Q701 it sounds more normal to my ears. Both sound good!

You can get distant male/female vocals on both obviously. Same with them being way too forward. I'd like to figure out which is more accurate when it comes to the distance/spacing. The modded Q701 has amazing soundstage depth (don't laugh).

I bet you that the modded K712 Pro would be better than the modded Q701 TO MY EARS. If I ever buy one I'm going to do it.

All this stuff is confusing because it's hard not to mention things when they could be the fault of the recording. I guess they're just that accurate. On this track here I feel like all the treble sounds are being covered by a blanket. Yet on the next there's TONS of treble.

All the differences to me are very subtle.

It makes sense why you all like the K712 PRO. I'd probably be happy with either of them.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,078 of 6,349
How do you compare your headphones? I'm just curious because I also agree that your impressions are sometimes.... just... I don't know...

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,079 of 6,349
How do you compare your headphones? I'm just curious because I also agree that your impressions are sometimes.... just... I don't know...

It's a highly technical process of putting them on your head and pressing play! Trust me I know the Q701's sound inside and out (not bragging). I've had it for 3 years and listen to them more than anything else. My collection of music isn't huge and I basically memorized how much of it sounds.

If people don't like my impressions they can ignore them. Nobody ever agrees on how a headphone sounds anyway. I'm not going to a/b analyze them for dozens of hours. I stopped doing that years ago.

People should remember that any minor differences I point out are sometimes subtle. I won't point out things I THINK i'm hearing. It has to be obvious.

At the moment K712 Pro and MODDED Q701 are equally good to ME. I have a slight preference for the Q701 because it's slightly less forward sounding in the low mids. I like the soundstage.

I can't say it enough but when I put on the K712 Pro after my modded Q701 nothing is dramatically changed. Is that a bad thing?

BTW trebly Pearl Jam recordings actually sound easier on the ears with MY modded Q701. Not sure why or how this is possible. Must be the K712 pads.

Again..both are very very good.

EDIT: Also, I just switched to my Modi from the Micro DAC and not much difference there. Basically everything sounds as it should.

I also can't point this out enough, but if your amp/dac is warm or slightly dark then impressions will probably vary a little. I don't know really.

It's definitely one of the best headphones AKG has made and no mod needed!

You know what..if I had not modded the Q701 I'd be raving even more about this thing. I actually feel like I am.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2,080 of 6,349

It's a highly technical process of putting them on your head and pressing play! Trust me I know the Q701's sound inside and out (not bragging). I've had it for 3 years and listen to them more than anything else. My collection of music isn't huge and I basically memorized how much of it sounds.

If people don't like my impressions they can ignore them. Nobody ever agrees on how a headphone sounds anyway. I'm not going to a/b analyze them for dozens of hours. I stopped doing that years ago.

People should remember that any minor differences I point out are sometimes subtle. I won't point out things I THINK i'm hearing. It has to be obvious.

At the moment K712 Pro and MODDED Q701 are equally good to ME. I have a slight preference for the Q701 because it's slightly less forward sounding in the low mids. I like the soundstage.

I can't say it enough but when I put on the K712 Pro after my modded Q701 nothing is dramatically changed. Is that a bad thing?

BTW trebly Pearl Jam recordings actually sound easier on the ears with MY modded Q701. Not sure why or how this is possible. Must be the K712 pads.

Again..both are very very good.

My point exactly...

Everything that you demo, you base your impressions on your beloved Q701 (which your ears been accustomed to for years). The sense of hearing is completely different to that of the sense of taste when trying new things. You are not going to absolutely love every new entrée that your ears taste for the first time.

Which leads to what I meant by "How do you compare your headphones?" I wasn't actually asking "how?"... but "how???"

Do you switch during a song? Do you switch after every song? Or... do you switch after spending numerous hours with the new headphone and then go back to your old ones?

What I am saying is that your ears are almost entirely accustomed to the sound of your Q701 (resulting in a biased comparison). I mean it has been three years with the Q701... and you've barely spent three hours with the K712.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2,081 of 6,349
  What I am saying is that your ears are almost entirely accustomed to the sound of your Q701 (resulting in a biased comparison). I mean it has been three years with the Q701... and you've barely spent three hours with the K712.

While I agree with this mostly, an hour is usually enough for your ears to re-adjust to the signature of a new headphone, at least for me.  Just like listening to the AD2000X right after the HD800, the upper mids would seem wonky and bass rolled off, until my ears adjust.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,082 of 6,349

While I agree with this mostly, an hour is usually enough for your ears to re-adjust to the signature of a new headphone, at least for me.  Just like listening to the AD2000X right after the HD800, the upper mids would seem wonky and bass rolled off, until my ears adjust.

I doubt he's spending an entire hour with only the K712. I bet he's constantly switching back and forth after every track during that hour...

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,083 of 6,349
That's a bad way to compare. He seriously needs to leave the Q701 alone for like a week. ONLY use the K712, THEN go back. Constant A/B switching does nothing. You've been so acclimated to the Q701, of course your tastes are gonna shift towards it. Especially when it comes to a tonal change like the Annie was to the Q701. Of course it's gonna come off as overly warm and smooth. To say it's undetailed and veiled... your ears need to leave that Q701 alone for awhile when you review other headphones.

It's hard seeing his impressions shift so wildly, even with the same headphone.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,084 of 6,349
That's a bad way to compare. You need to leave the Q701 alone for like a week. ONLY use the K712, THEN go back. Constant A/B switching does nothing. You've been so acclimated to the Q701, of course your tastes are gonna shift towards it. Especially when it comes to a tonal change like the Annie was to the Q701. Of course it's gonna come off as overly warm and smooth. To say it's undetailed and veiled... your ears need to leave that Q701 alone for awhile when you review other headphones.

It's hard seeing his impressions shift so wildly, even with the same headphone.

Which is what I was leaning towards saying but wanted him to figure it out himself since comparing headphones is "a highly technical process of putting them on your head and pressing play!"

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,085 of 6,349

My point exactly...

Everything that you demo, you base your impressions on your beloved Q701 (which your ears been accustomed to for years). The sense of hearing is completely different to that of the sense of taste when trying new things. You are not going to absolutely love every new entrée that your ears taste for the first time.

Which leads to what I meant by "How do you compare your headphones?" I wasn't actually asking "how?"... but "how???"

Do you switch during a song? Do you switch after every song? Or... do you switch after spending numerous hours with the new headphone and then go back to your old ones?

I don't base all my impressions on the Q701, are you nuts? Who does that?
All my impressions of the K712 Pro are against the modded Q701. That's all i'm interested in. I told people when I tried the K712 Pro I would compare it to the modded Q701. I'm doing it mainly for myself and Q701 fans. Not just for people who already own the K712. Sorry if you don't like that!
 I never compare anything else to the Q701 unless someone asks or they're similar. When I review equipment I use ALL my headphones. Testing them with just a Q701 is beyond dumb.

BTW 99% of the time if I love a headphone on the first listen my opinion never changes. The only case of this happening is maybe with the Sony MDR-V6. The idea of getting used to a new sound doesn't make sense to me. The K712 Pro isn't a new sound to me. Just a slightly altered one.

Maybe I can send you my resume by PM to make sure I meet your qualifications!

I listen to random music, repeat tracks, do a/b comparisons and then sometimes just stop over-analyzing everything and just listen. I do it however I want. Not for you. Despite what you think, it's not hard to compare headphones without doing an A/B non-stop. The K712 Pro and modded Q701 are incredibly easy to compare.

I got the K712 Pro at around 2pm and it's now 7pm..is that an acceptable length of time for me to leave impressions? I should have asked for your permission!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back