The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,261 of 6,349
Yes, but it's much more spacious, and faster. So to that effect, I'd say its more like a poor man's Annie, without upper mid emphasis.

You can consider it a hybrid of both, but not as detailed/refined, but more comfy, easier to drive.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #1,263 of 6,349
Quote:
Mmmm, the akg's can do movies.  I think it's meant to be.  I just saw Oblivion, wow.  Rumble, rumble, rumble.

Try "The Impossible". Pretty good with the HD-650 and would be a good test for the K712.
One of the best and most realistic disaster movies ever made.

Apparently "U571" is a good one too for testing low-bass. The movie isn't as good as "Das Boot" but probably has better audio.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,264 of 6,349
Quote:

Try "The Impossible". Pretty good with the HD-650 and would be a good test for the K712.
One of the best and most realistic disaster movies ever made.

Apparently "U571" is a good one too for testing low-bass. The movie isn't as good as "Das Boot" but probably has better audio.

Here, Here, my friend! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #1,266 of 6,349
Quote:
The 650's and these 712's...I can't let go of them!

Is this peace at long last?

I thought I saw yours for sale?  Did you have a change of heart?

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #1,267 of 6,349
Yes.  I had been using Google's All Access.  I also uploaded my music to their play service.  Something wasn't quite right with the fidelity of their supposed "320kbps" streaming service; some edge, glare and harshness that shouldn't have been there.  So I tried it with my 320kbps and lossless collection.  Sublime.  That is one thing I like about the 650's, they can make poor sources sound very good.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #1,268 of 6,349
Quote:
It all sounds like hyperbole and expectation bias. People dont compare directly with unbalanced. They get their headphones balanced and because they're expecting improvements, thats what they hear. I only trust those who compare balanced and single ended DIRECTLY.

I have heard plenty of people who didn't hear a difference. If it's that subtle (and I have no doubt improvements would be slight), not worth it to me.

Thought I'd chime in on this subject. The implementation has so much to do with the sonic quality of SE, or the perceived gap in performance between Balanced and SE. Often, an amp is designed to be Balanced (bridged or fully differential) and an opamp is used to provided SE output. In such cases, the Balanced output is often superior as the sonics of the SE output are governed by the opamp (bandwidth, slew rate, etc.). Even in the balanced camp, a well done fully differential implementation has sonic advantages over a well done bridged.

In the SE camp, a good circuit design can outperform a less than stellar balanced circuit design (bridged for fully differential). As with most things audio, everything matters. Most of my gear is balanced, but here I sit enjoying the hell out of my T90's, fed by an SE parafeed Torpedo. 

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means - just an avid DIY'er/audiophile. Just sharing what I've learned.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #1,270 of 6,349
Watching *Return of the Jedi*.  I got started by an impact, and its rumbling thereafter.  I had no idea where it came from.  I realized it was the AT-AT Walkers walking through the woods on the screen.  I've owned the entire K7xx series.  I don't remember any of them distinctly doing "that" with my music or movies.  Still enjoying my new purchase immensely.

*Edit*  Didn't audition the Annies with movies or games, strictly music although I should have.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,272 of 6,349
Quote:
Chico, didn't you say the bass on the AE vs the PRO were about the same?

My first impressions were that they were about the same.

Later on after further listening though, I could hear that the K712's bass was actually a little stronger. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #1,273 of 6,349
Wait... that might not be good news for me. How about with it having the Q pads? How did its bass compare to the stock AE? And did the mids stay smooth with the Q pads?

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #1,274 of 6,349
If it's to the point where it was initially nearly the same, then it can't be that much different.

People complain that the Annie is too smooth in the treble. What do you think will happen if the bass is stronger? Either the mids are gonna get pushed back in the mix, or the treble will.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #1,275 of 6,349
Quote:
If it's to the point where it was initially nearly the same, then it can't be that much different.

People complain that the Annie is too smooth in the treble. What do you think will happen if the bass is stronger? Either the mids are gonna get pushed back in the mix, or the treble will.

Or if the mids get pushed back a little, then the bass will be more present?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back