The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
May 28, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #6,301 of 6,345
I really don't think the akg 712 gets the praise it deserves. I listen mostly to classical music and in fact I am using them as I type this. I own several headphones some much more expensive and I keep reaching for these. I did change the cable and the ear pads shortly after I got them and that improved the performance. I think they are a steal at the current asking price. Very competitive with many more expensive headphones. I have had them for about 2 years and still keep reaching for them.

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #6,304 of 6,345
I find the K712 Pros sound incredible after removing the sponge foam between driver and ear pad.

Anyone else tried it?

Omg, I just did this and my k712s are paired with the Yaxi comfort pads and woww, it sounds much faster, more engaging and more resolving !!! the details are distributed across all areas of focus with insane imaging more than before, the way sound decays is more apparent and let me tell you. it is very soothing!!!! The warmth is retained but much tighter and quite punchy bass (centrically).
🥰🤭

Everyone has got to go do this and hear it themselves

YAXI comfort pads!

Remove inner sponge thingies:
(photo for reference)
Dampeners??

Attachments

• 20230825_183302.jpg
    20230825_183302.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #6,305 of 6,345
After changing the original pads with Yaxi comfort pads, plus the removal of the driver dampeners, my Hifiman Sundaras sound pale in comparison.. I am getting rid of my Sundaras. I thought they were good but not anymore lol

What I learned once again
(again, as in I've forgotten)
is that the AKG K712 Pros still reigns, as before and even more than before with this slight mod/change~ as the most enjoyable in K700s lineup.

😌✅
And perhaps one of the most perfect headphones.
Certainly for a dynamic driver type in my opinion.
if you own the K712 pros, you are truly blessed

7 years ownership 😊

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #6,306 of 6,345
Hey have had a set of K712 for awhile and they came with a aftermarket cable made by Impact Audio. They still have a website but it seems broke. Anyways I went back to the stock straight cable and thought wheres the bass and midrange. I went back to the impact cable and there it was killer low bass and much better midrange and mid bass. I wouldn't recommend spending a whole lot on a new cable but the stock straight cable sucks. This was thru an older Burson conductor. Cheers.
I have a Soloist I picked up off Ebay a few months ago and use it with the AKG 712s using the moon audio silver dragon headphone cable with the Furutech carbon fiber 1/4 inch plug and really enjoyed it. Initially I compared it to my old reliable Burson 160 OG headphone amp with a Hifi Tuning fuse supreme fuse in it and thought the Soloist OG was a bit polite compare to the HA160 OG. But after I upgraded the fuse to a Hifu Tuning Supreme fuse I preferred the Soloist OG headphone amp. It has better depth and is more dimensional sounding and the bottom end is better than the Burson Ha160 OG headphone amp. Plus it is more dynamic sounding as well. If you have not tried a premium fuse in your Burson Conductor you should. The Conductor will sound much better.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #6,307 of 6,345
I have a Soloist I picked up off Ebay a few months ago and use it with the AKG 712s using the moon audio silver dragon headphone cable with the Furutech carbon fiber 1/4 inch plug and really enjoyed it. Initially I compared it to my old reliable Burson 160 OG headphone amp with a Hifi Tuning fuse supreme fuse in it and thought the Soloist OG was a bit polite compare to the HA160 OG. But after I upgraded the fuse to a Hifu Tuning Supreme fuse I preferred the Soloist OG headphone amp. It has better depth and is more dimensional sounding and the bottom end is better than the Burson Ha160 OG headphone amp. Plus it is more dynamic sounding as well. If you have not tried a premium fuse in your Burson Conductor you should. The Conductor will sound much better.
imho the biggest improvement for the AKG 712 Pro is the balanced mod

Oct 8, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #6,313 of 6,345
Hey, I'm seeing an online retailer selling several k712 pro for $128 on ebay, and I'm wondering if those prices are too good to be true.

There was a thread about this recently on Ebay and someone pointed out that there have been fake K712's in the wild for a while now, and that the super cheap ones are probably those.

It's true that in some places the K712 is cheaper than others, but typically not that cheap, and usually if something looks too good to be true, it is.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #6,315 of 6,345
other than price, any difference between K712 and K812? thanks
Relatively speaking 2 different phones........but many prefer the 712, warmer and less analytical.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k812-pro.685339/

Hey, I'm seeing an online retailer selling several k712 pro for $128 on ebay, and I'm wondering if those prices are too good to be true.
Now if these are legit, worth having a pair around.....it'll cost you 10x that for a pair of used K812 but really no comparison IMHO.
Re: legit or not...ebay feedback is good on this one, so who knows.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165943390347
https://www.ebay.ca/fdbk/feedback_profile/mkxpods?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&q=175591209858
I've owned 2 pairs in the past, but that was almost10 years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back