The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #6,061 of 6,345
These K712s seem to be waking up! I really want to go do something but I can't seem to stop listening to music =D

There is maybe 20-30 hours of play time on them.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #6,063 of 6,345
I just ordered a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp for these headphones. I'm pretty stoked! Can't wait to report back :)

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #6,064 of 6,345
Hi everyone, new member here, albeit I have been wandering around the forum for quite some time.

I just want to share my impressions of my K712 pro with original pads as well as Fenestrated Sheepskin Pads from Dekoni.

I bought mine used from Amazon after had auditioned in an audiophile shop. I did not want to mess around with burn-in things so I decided to buy a used one.
I had been using the original pads for about a month before decided to change pads as they were too hot for my ears (I am a quite quick sweating man). The comfort with the original pads was quite pleasant though.

Comparisons between those two pads:
Comfort: Dekoni pads win here hands down. They are airier and deeper than the original pads so my ears can breath and have more space laterally inside them.
Sound:
  1. Bass: I have always been bothered by the elevated, slightly muddy midbass of the original pads (had to EQ down -2db). Some might say they bleed into the low-mids, I beg to differ as they are still very articulated and resolving in the range. However with Dekoni pads I got perfect amount of bass and don't have to EQ anymore. Their official measurements suggested a slight elevation in mid-bass but my experience was quite the opposite. More controlled bass while keeping them resolving and separated from low-mid. Perfect for my taste.
2. Mids: I have always like the mids of these cans. Compare to HD600 they are more laid-back, yet very natural and less flat(neutral). With Dekoni pads they did not change much in this range.
3. Highs: At first the highs sound very harsh, sibilant and lost the notorious resolution with the Dekoni pads. I was about to return them immediately. However after giving a chance for them to break-in for 48h with excessive listening, it turned to be the wisest choice I have ever made. The resolution was fantastic (again) and the decay was way more snappier. No more sibilance, just detail and quick like the Sundaras but more controlled and no significant peaks.
4. Soundstage: This is the trade-off. Soundstage seemed to be smaller (still bigger than HD600) yet imaging remained precise. Considering a vast soundstage with the original pads, this might be a let down for some. Personally I don't mind it as long as the FR were so good.

Overall I am very happy with the pads changes. Highly recommend for an alternative choice for aftermarket pads.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #6,065 of 6,345
Hey everyone. I ordered these and they will be here tomorrow. I am going to primarily use them for FPS gaming, but also for music on occasion. I have an Odac and O2 amplifier ive had for several years running through usb into my PC. Will this set up be adequate? I'm willing to spend some extra cash on something better, but id prefer not to drop more than another 300 dollars.

Ps currently using closed back KRK 8400 headphones. They do okay, but im ready for something better.

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #6,066 of 6,345
Hey everyone. I ordered these and they will be here tomorrow. I am going to primarily use them for FPS gaming, but also for music on occasion. I have an Odac and O2 amplifier ive had for several years running through usb into my PC. Will this set up be adequate? I'm willing to spend some extra cash on something better, but id prefer not to drop more than another 300 dollars.

Ps currently using closed back KRK 8400 headphones. They do okay, but im ready for something better.
You will most likely be fine. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #6,070 of 6,345
What's up guys, just tossing this up for reference to anyone considering a balanced conversion!

Attachments

• 1031201322~2.jpg
    1031201322~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #6,071 of 6,345
Reviving the thread because I just bought a pair. 😁🙃

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #6,072 of 6,345
I understand these first debuted back in 2013? and the driver's probably been around even longer than that, but are these still considered 'good' in today's standard? I like the latest and the greatest when it comes to technology, but I also appreciate tried and true designs like my T1.2 and HD650.

Nov 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #6,074 of 6,345
I bought one too along with my first entry-level Hifi setup (Marantz NR1200+Marantz CD6006) as my first serious wired headphone (I previously used BT heasets like Sony MDR100X or RF sets like RS185 wich has a good sound but maybe too dark for my tatse without an equalizer).
I consider myself an audio enthousiast but far from an audiophile, I generally try to find the good-enough setup so I first tried it with an iPhone (6s then 11 Pro) and honestly the sound is pretty decent, I am at 50% audio level max and it is loud enough. I do agree however that plugging it to the CD6006 which has a a dedicated headphone amp produce a more defined and "full" sound on the exact same files.On my high end motherboard, the result is somewhere in-between and far from the maximum level. So these cans are easy to drive and produce a pretty decent sound for casual listening but are better with a proper amp (not a big one though).

The signature is mostly flat, honestly I do not hear really major flaws. The sounstage might feel a bit artificial in some cases but it mostly depends on the track quality. I still (wirdly) prefer the bright signature of my old RS130 (which was like 130 euros) but this one is clearly more defined and full.

The comfort is good, maybe a bit tiring as I have an XL head. I much prefer my old Senn RS130 too.
There is something I prefer on my RS185 but it is hard to point out. Maybe it is that the sound seems more focused and "deeper", less detached, more intimate. The difference is mostly on the soundstage I guess, I feel it more focused like if the guitar is in front of me. So yeah that is it : the soundstage is closer but the sound goes deeper.

Sorry if my idea is not clear, I am both french and not an educated audiophile so I just give my feeling.
But as a bottom line it is a good headset for the price but as any headphone it must match your taste.It is pretty good for critical listening though.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #6,075 of 6,345
Yay!
K712 2.jpgK712 1.jpgK712 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back