The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #6,031 of 6,345
Guys i read everything that i could possibly read online for the past few weeks i'm a MAJOR AKG Fan and i would really love to know if the AKG K712 Pro sound different then the K7xx.

Does the K712 use a different driver i know the ratings are the same?

What sounds more analytical but with the AKG sound signature? Currently own the K7xx and at times i find it a bit boomy just at times i have it paried with the Objective 2+Odac Rev b combo.

I'm surprised you find the K7xx boomy. I'm a/b'ing these and the K712 right now and the main differences I'm finding are:
1. The K7xx I have have been thoroughly broken in and because of that the elastic is stretched out and leather is less stiff. This results in less clamping force and headband fatigue. These are more analytical than the K712's due to sounding "colder" than the K712's. These seem less picky about what amp they are attached to.
2. The K712's are more tamed? in the treble region, and have a bit more DB in the bass/mid-bass region, but it doesn't bleed into the midrange. Soundstage feels more comprehensive with the sound signature. The plastic components that make up the structure of the headphones/headband don't creak or make cheap-feeling sounds, compared to the K7xx which sound that way when putting them on or adjusting them, but otherwise is unnoticable. I tried three different amps and only one of them made the K712's sound significantly better (iDSD Micro Black Label).
Other Notes:
-signature sounds the same between both
-soundstage seems more rounded with the K712's, wider with the K7xx's

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #6,032 of 6,345
The K712 is in fact a K702 in a different colour scheme and most importantly gel/velour pads. The latter is what separates it’s tuning from the classic..and yes these pads effectively turn the very bright K702 into a much more palatable creature with far less energy in the uppermids and treble.
A word of caution though, these pads are expensive! 100€...

How do the K702's compare to the K7xx's? I ask because I swapped pads and foam inserts between my K7xx's and my K712's and the drivers/internals/cables/something does not sound the same. There's more than just pads changing the tune between these two products.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #6,033 of 6,345
^They should not sound the same though as the K712 and the K7XX are tuned differently. I’m fairly certain both headphones started out as a K702..the Massdrop variant though is noticeably warmer. If you take a look at the frequency response of the two it’s obvious they come from the same family ie K702 with gel/velour pads. They share the same wiggles and all-around behaviour.
The difference between the K702 and the K7XX? Similar to the difference between gin and coffee:p One is sharp and somewhat stringent the other warm and ever so slightly rounded in the presence region.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #6,035 of 6,345
After watching this I had no choice but follow the link and buy a set. Then watch him review his cat.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #6,036 of 6,345
I got K712 Pro from Adorama deal via Amazon, paired with JDS Atom also delivered today.

I'm out of words. I have never experienced music like this - finally everything sounds great, as it should be. Not that I have a big experience with headphones so far (CAL, Beyer DT770 Pro), but I always had this feeling that something is lacking, or something doesn't sound right (too much treble in 770, not enough vocals). AKG K712 with Atom just blew me out of the water - zero complains. Soundstage, details, clarity, absolutely amazing. There is nothing I would like to change about the sound signature I hear now.

Even my wife - who cannot understand spending more than $100 on headphones - almost had tears in her eyes while listening to some of her music (she heard new stuff in almost new song). Impressive.

Now to decide whether to get a DAC for this. I'm running directly mobo -> Atom -> K712 Pro right now, and I think I heard any interference maybe twice in 2 hours of listening so far. Will probably pair it with Atom DAC to make it easy.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #6,038 of 6,345
I’ve played with quite a few of the entry level DACs (only with HD650 and HD6xx so far.) I generally feel like Schiit Modi Multibit is the best value - it’s a bit more expensive but the depth and imaging are fantastic. It is in a different category than the standard entry level DACs but I’m so glad I sprung for it. If ladder resistors were to DACs what tubes are to amplifiers, the Modi Multibit would be like a good hybrid amp.

That said, SDAC from Drop.com is somehow worthy of being mentioned in the same paragraph which speaks volumes. It is my favorite (summing?) DAC.

I can’t wait to hear the 712s through all this.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #6,039 of 6,345
That said, SDAC from Drop.com is somehow worthy of being mentioned in the same paragraph which speaks volumes. It is my favorite (summing?) DAC.

I can’t wait to hear the 712s through all this.

I'm waiting for E30 now, and I have SDAC. So once receive it, will be able to share some impressions.
K712 are awesome, kinda end game if one constrained by a budget.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #6,041 of 6,345
Early impressions:
-Tight bass with excellent extension. If it's too low for preference, they take very well to EQ. You can really tweak these to your preference
-Fantastic instrument separation
-Airy, crisp. Like an HD600 with less focus on bass impact and quantity
-Occasional spooky 'lifelike' moments in well-mixed games and movies
-You could definitely mix and master with these

Downsides:
-This is not the headphone to drive from onboard audio. Neither the DAC & especially not the built-in amp will do well here
-Likewise, less-than-stellar mixes don't impress much. These cans won't sweeten them up one bit. Maybe with a tube amp
-Occasional harshness in the treble ~2-2.5khz, easy enough to tweak in EQ
-Bass is more satisfying on the LCD-X. But those are also planar, over a grand, and heavy with questionable comfort so..

I have them at 58% wet mix using Sonarworks' correction. Haven't had luck running APO eq yet to try the oratory EQ's. Chances are, because of the variation in pad fit, you will have to tweak any preset anyway for the sound you want.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #6,042 of 6,345
Hey K712'rs

Sooo I'm looking to turn my K712 into balanced, and I've done this before but a problem occured and broke a diaphram....

Long story short, I bought new drivers and I could really use some help with pictures of the wiring of the Left earcup! If anyone has done the balanced mod, that's even better. I just need to know which wires are the positives and negatives so I can solder them properly to the 4 pole connector.

Much appreciated for any help!

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #6,043 of 6,345
Hey K712'rs

Sooo I'm looking to turn my K712 into balanced, and I've done this before but a problem occured and broke a diaphram....

Long story short, I bought new drivers and I could really use some help with pictures of the wiring of the Left earcup! If anyone has done the balanced mod, that's even better. I just need to know which wires are the positives and negatives so I can solder them properly to the 4 pole connector.

Much appreciated for any help!
Maybe this will help:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k240-k702-q701-and-k712-balanced-mod.677069/

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #6,044 of 6,345
@tankas Thanks for this. I've been using this guide throughout the process and helps a lot. The bad part for me is that I don't have the colored wires after completing the balanced mod the first time, and is why I need a picture of the inside of a stock, unbalanced K712.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #6,045 of 6,345
Whats up. Dropping by to show progress.

Using 24awg PTFE solid copper from partsconnexion. Cant wait foe this to be done!
0711201720_HDR.jpg
0711201721a_HDR.jpg
0711201726_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back