The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #6,076 of 6,345
I currently use my ZMF Aeolus for pretty much everything, but from time to time like to break out the K712's, but the pads are completely worn down. Anyone have any experience with those third party replacement pads you can buy on Amazon? Any particular ones I should avoid?

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #6,078 of 6,345
I am considering the k712, will the Schiit Asgard 2 be sufficient to drive them to their full ability?

Haven't heard the Asgard 2 but at max power, 50 ohms: 1.0W, I would think so. Should be plenty in terms of power output.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #6,079 of 6,345
K712 is sounding great with Fiio K5 Pro.
Even with the medium gain, there is plenty of power at 12 o'clock. The bass is not lacking at all, sounds clean, tight! There is a nice punch! Soundstage and imaging are amazing.
Fantastic headphones and a great pairing with K5 Pro. :relaxed:

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #6,080 of 6,345
Hate to be a pain but does anyone know where I can get OEM replacement pads? I love the material but all of the stuff on Amazon is aftermarket.
I found another thread here where you can see part numbers etc. but it's a little dated and the links on the JP amazon don't specifically state K712 pro's.

I've contacted AKG support and they've passed me around a few times, the most recent people I've been told to contact are parts.us@akg.com but the server refuses to connect and I cannot reach them.

It's driving me nuts as I've had these headphones for 6 years and I don't really want to replace them. I've been too scared to do anything deeper than a wipe clean on the current pads in case I destroy the internal material further, but after years of sweat etc. I really think they just need replacing.

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #6,081 of 6,345
Here in Europe we can buy them off of Thomann or AKG...but they’re pricey as hell. They cost over 60$ a piece aka 120$ for a set of fresh pads.
That’s half the price of the headphone🤪🤔

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #6,082 of 6,345
Here in Europe we can buy them off of Thomann or AKG...but they’re pricey as hell. They cost over 60$ a piece aka 120$ for a set of fresh pads.
That’s half the price of the headphone🤪🤔
You actually prompted me to check Thomann and lo and behold I found this. AKG K-712 Ear Pad – Thomann United States (thomannmusic.com). Not sure they're exactly what I've got as the compatibility lists a bunch of older models... I'm a little hesitant to order any. I really don't want to change what I have comfort and sound-wise.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #6,083 of 6,345
That’s the real deal and also what makes the K712 sound like the K712. If you grab any other AKG pads you’re going to make the headphone a lot brighter.
Ohh and remember to order 2! Yup they’re sold separately🙄

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #6,085 of 6,345
Two headphones arrived this week.

Very different headphones and ‘USP’s’. Very happy with both.

Very surprised though with the AKG 712. On a dac/amplifier it sounds much better then expected. First impression (!) is that it puts my Sennheiser HD700 and Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon to shame :hushed:

D2BAB3B6-FC12-4703-9DB5-5346908649E9.jpeg

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #6,086 of 6,345
I recently purchased a moon audio silver dragon v 3 headphone cable upgrade for the stock cable on my 712s. I am surprised at how lossy the stock cable is compared to the upgrade. At the same volume level there is a noticeable level increase with the moon audio cable. I have to say that I am appreciating the qualities of the 712 to a much greater extant with the cable upgrade. If you have the stock cabling you should consider a cable upgrade the improvement is of a very positive nature. While the moon audio cable was not inexpensive especially in relation to the cost of the 712 in my case it was well worth the cost of the upgrade. I f you are considering selling your 712 you might want to check out the option of upgrading the cable. It definitely elevates the performance of the 712 and enhances its strengths noticeably.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #6,087 of 6,345
It's been few months since I got K712 Pro, but man... I'm just posting to say this: if anybody is thinking about good headphones for metal below $500, just stop right here and get them, end of story. For the first time in my life I hear so much pure energy in songs, that makes me stop doing whatever I'm doing, close my eyes and just focus on music. Just amazing: soundstage, instrument separation, guitars and vocals, and everything just 'clicks' together. Works very well with inexpensive JDS Atom amp.

Are there even any clearly better headphones (for metal) under $1000? Not looking to change, just curious.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #6,088 of 6,345
It's been few months since I got K712 Pro, but man... I'm just posting to say this: if anybody is thinking about good headphones for metal below $500, just stop right here and get them, end of story. For the first time in my life I hear so much pure energy in songs, that makes me stop doing whatever I'm doing, close my eyes and just focus on music. Just amazing: soundstage, instrument separation, guitars and vocals, and everything just 'clicks' together. Works very well with inexpensive JDS Atom amp.

Are there even any clearly better headphones (for metal) under $1000? Not looking to change, just curious.

For metal, I would probably say the DT 1990, it has an energy and dynamism that is basically unrivaled for the price. For metal and other aggressive genres the DT 1990 and K712 are some of my favorite headphones I’ve owned.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #6,089 of 6,345

I have many headphones, but I love my K712 Pro. Great value, great comfort, amazing soundstage and separation like you've mention, and much more. May lack slightly in resolution, but never enough to leave me wanting more.

A true classic just like the Sennheiser HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back