The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #4,816 of 6,345
My advice is, give them a proper listen, at least few weeks, just go for it and have fun listening. I had a similar impressions when i bought mine. I was listening to k701 and k551 before, and when i got k712s, first impression was: MID-BAAASSSSSSS. And i didn't like it much at first, but i decided to give it some time, because the listening apparatus really gets used to a certain sound signature. Today, few weeks later, i freaking love the k712s, and i don't look back. Actually it would be interesting to try k701s again. I'm guessing i will be very underwhelmed by the bass :D Oh and for the detail produced by k712s, it is there, the only thing is, the k701s/702s have it much more over exaggerated, so you have to get used to the k712s a bit. But it is there, i don't even feel like there is less detail, it is just a bit quieter comparing to the overall, full frequency range of the headphones. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,817 of 6,345
@9tamara9
thx for help.

So, it is my own get used to it and no burning-in effect?
For me it seems a little that i have to lose my realistic opinion of music. And then i have to accept AKGs choice of "what is linear".
Strange thing i start to get used to it 
blink.gif

Do i go to the glue?

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,818 of 6,345
  @9tamara9
thx for help.

So, it is my own get used to it and no burning-in effect?
For me it seems a little that i have to lose my realistic opinion of music. And then i have to accept AKGs choice of "what is linear".
Strange thing i start to get used to it 
blink.gif

Do i go to the glue?

Regardless if burning-in is a real phenomena or not (I think it is real) , the headphones I got were over 2 years old, used, so for me it was only my own brain getting used to them, and it went from "OMG TOO MUCH MID BASS" to "WOW THESE ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES EVER" o.o , So I'm pretty sure the personal perception makes at least as much difference as burning-in, if not more.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #4,819 of 6,345
Spent the last 2 days listening to just the 712's, Jackson Brown, Adam Cohen, Kathryn Williams, Rory Gallagher and more.... Just beautiful. I will add I own Audeze LCD and Beyer Dynamic T1.2 and others but they do not give this sound in the least, just calm and honest

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #4,820 of 6,345
...two days after rumors, i wont give it away
smily_headphones1.gif

There is not all-clear, but as many of you bros told me i will give that K712 a serious chance. Thx a lot for your support - very great community :)

And now it comes to DAC and AMP.
First, sorry for understatement...normally i use my Home Hifi System and MacBook Pro.
I was a Home Studio engineer for many years. At the end i got DACs in use such as Metric Halo http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/hardware/uln-2.html
I listen linear (like many of you) :)

I need something for my MacBook Pro via USB to DAC and AMP and to connect to my Hifi System via Cinch - and portable.
For e.g. Audioengine D1? http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioengine-d1-premium-24-bit-dac

Or is this piece completely out of fashion?

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #4,821 of 6,345
Hi all. NewComer to this glorious forum.
I just gotten my Chord Mojo (used) and K712 a week ago. Source is my samsung S7edge. As expected headphone doesn't sound nice at all with phone alone, as compared to my RHA T20i. When hooked up with mojo in between, everything got louder. Not better, just louder. And the harsh treble nearly made me return the AKG (though not possible). Then I tried to burn them in as many say AKGs need burn ins to be usable. During 3 nights of burning in I used my Mojo with the T20i, and it sounded marvelous. I suppose bass is a bit on the thick side (reference filter), but it sounded very very nice for hip hop and rap songs (from suicide squad soundtrack to 80s hits to Daft punk).

After 3 nights intermittent burn in I tried the k712 again with mojo. Those same songs that gave me an earache no longer sounded the same. I used to believe that burn in is a hoax, or snake oil. But now it seems partly true... the harsh treble wasn't present anymore, but pleasantly clear. Though if played loud enough, certain music with originally harsh highs will still give me a headache. But then again I suppose headphones like these are not meant to be played at a ear shattering volume in first place. I have to admit playing audiophile vocal songs is very nice compared to my iems.

However the bass part is lacking. Maybe I expected the bass to be as good as my RHA, that's why I feel it's lacking. I admit I never have any experience with other audio gear before (I own a pair of Sony MDR-10rbt but they sounded good from my Sony z5 and not from samsung). I keep reading that the bass output from k712 is very good, I am just wondering if this level of output is considered good or am I missing something.

Finally I would appreciate if anyone who uses mojo with k712 can compare performance with other headphones, cause I never tested any other headphones to know what is good or bad or high or low. Does mojo still need an amp to fully utilize k712?

P.s. now waiting for my Hibizs AP60 to arrive to use as dedicated transport for Mojo. Then my phone will be free to do it phony work

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #4,822 of 6,345
@ yensarn

Do not take this the wrong way but taking into consideration the kind of music you like, I would say you like and expect a LOT of bass.  I've been using my K712 PRO for about sixteen months, and I find the bass to be very balanced, supportive and just right, but it can also be very powerful when required.  They are Reference type headphones and so the emphasis is on accurate, so that when mixing tracks in a studio the amount of bass dialed in by the mixing engineer is the correct amount heard through the monitor speakers etc.  It's not meant to make things sound like a night club inside your head.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #4,823 of 6,345
@ yensarn

Do not take this the wrong way but taking into consideration the kind of music you like, I would say you like and expect a LOT of bass.  I've been using my K712 PRO for about sixteen months, and I find the bass to be very balanced, supportive and just right, but it can also be very powerful when required.  They are Reference type headphones and so the emphasis is on accurate, so that when mixing tracks in a studio the amount of bass dialed in by the mixing engineer is the correct amount heard through the monitor speakers etc.  It's not meant to make things sound like a night club inside your head.

Yeah that's what my understanding is about this headphone. I just needed confirmation as I am fairly new to higher end audio gears... I used to tinker with car audio system until causing myself some hearing loss...

As long as I know that this is almost the best I can get from the AKGs then I am happy. I just cant get rid of the nagging feeling if I am not utilizing my headphones full potential because of equipment deficiency.

Anyways I really enjoy my music from them, but I can't say the same for anyone sitting beside me.

About night club in my head... many times involves strip clubs but rarely night clubs...

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #4,824 of 6,345
Hi all. NewComer to this glorious forum.
I just gotten my Chord Mojo (used) and K712 a week ago. Source is my samsung S7edge. As expected headphone doesn't sound nice at all with phone alone, as compared to my RHA T20i. When hooked up with mojo in between, everything got louder. Not better, just louder. And the harsh treble nearly made me return the AKG (though not possible). Then I tried to burn them in as many say AKGs need burn ins to be usable. During 3 nights of burning in I used my Mojo with the T20i, and it sounded marvelous. I suppose bass is a bit on the thick side (reference filter), but it sounded very very nice for hip hop and rap songs (from suicide squad soundtrack to 80s hits to Daft punk).

After 3 nights intermittent burn in I tried the k712 again with mojo. Those same songs that gave me an earache no longer sounded the same. I used to believe that burn in is a hoax, or snake oil. But now it seems partly true... the harsh treble wasn't present anymore, but pleasantly clear. Though if played loud enough, certain music with originally harsh highs will still give me a headache. But then again I suppose headphones like these are not meant to be played at a ear shattering volume in first place. I have to admit playing audiophile vocal songs is very nice compared to my iems.

However the bass part is lacking. Maybe I expected the bass to be as good as my RHA, that's why I feel it's lacking. I admit I never have any experience with other audio gear before (I own a pair of Sony MDR-10rbt but they sounded good from my Sony z5 and not from samsung). I keep reading that the bass output from k712 is very good, I am just wondering if this level of output is considered good or am I missing something.

Finally I would appreciate if anyone who uses mojo with k712 can compare performance with other headphones, cause I never tested any other headphones to know what is good or bad or high or low. Does mojo still need an amp to fully utilize k712?

P.s. now waiting for my Hibizs AP60 to arrive to use as dedicated transport for Mojo. Then my phone will be free to do it phony work

i read that somebody wrote the chord mojo wasn't enough powerful to drive the k712 but i don't know if it's true

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #4,825 of 6,345
Just got the K712. I am now driving it through Marantz NR1403. Great sounding headphone! I was thinking about buying a Dragonfly Red but will I notice a great difference between the Dragonfly and the Marantz? Is there any other great Dac/Amp (100 - 200 €) you would recommend?

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #4,826 of 6,345
I changed the inner soft pads from the K712 with the inner pads of the K702:

Hm, it is opener and it has got more treble. The mid frequencies are open! but after some Listen studies i changed to the origin back because it sounds to similar to the K702 and i missed the new body around me :)
Maybe i have something like "burn in" phenomenon? The Cans are pretty good and they have quit enough treble - cant understand why i lost my self-assurance...

Go on listen...
beyersmile.png

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #4,827 of 6,345
  I changed the inner soft pads from the K712 with the inner pads of the K702:

Hm, it is opener and it has got more treble. The mid frequencies are open! but after some Listen studies i changed to the origin back because it sounds to similar to the K702 and i missed the new body around me :)
Maybe i have something like "burn in" phenomenon? The Cans are pretty good and they have quit enough treble - cant understand why i lost my self-assurance...

Go on listen...
beyersmile.png

Recordings play the bigger role in my book.
With some of them I prefer K702, with others K712.
Mood and listening levels play a role as well.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4,829 of 6,345
  Any ideas for portable amps for the K712 Pro? Thanks.

hello, fiio e17k does a good job for me in mid-gain. Possibility to adjust bass and treble.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #4,830 of 6,345

Well, your reference and your recordings are key here.
As I've said in my previous post there's a wide variety of sound signatures in the headphone world.

In terms of bass quantity:
Fidelio X1/X2 >> HD650 > K712/Tesla T1 > K702/DT880 > HD800

Keep that in mind.
If you want Fidelio X1 kind of bass then K712 will surely sound as if it provides no bass at all.
You'll find people out there who think K712 is overly warm and normally prefer the cooler HD800.

Your preferences and your recordings play a big role at this point.

(Always assuming your K712 is not defective)

​You know what I think,
I think it's the amplifier Asgard 2, and not the headphones K712.

Right now I am listening to my Beyerdynamic DT 860 through Firestone Audio Fireye DA -portable dac/amp and laptop FLAC files and the sound is better and there's also bass.

I earlier this evening tried my Beyerdynamics with the Asgard 2 and it sounded schiit as well.
There was no bass.

I have to try the AKG K712 with my Fireye DA later this morning. I remember they sounded better with Fireye DA last summer when I listened.

So, it seems to be the Asgard 2 the faulty one.

Last summer I used the Fireye DA only as a DAC connected to the Asgard 2 the sound was bad and bassless, so I thought the cheaper dacamp didn't fit together with the Asgard 2.
Then obtained the Schiit Bifrost 4490 and the sound is much better, just a little bit better but still anemic and bassless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back