The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #4,801 of 6,349
Hi All,

now i got the K712 in use, since three hours.

Hm...cautiously saying, i miss many highs, but got more body - does it make sense to let it burn in to get more Information from music back?
I come from K702.

Thx for help.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #4,802 of 6,349

...hm, i miss the open mids form the K702. The K712 seems to put many mids in that area, maybe too much? Because of that, i find music and other akustic information to thick, a little annoying... and maybe it is a lack of locationability?!

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #4,803 of 6,349

...hm, i miss the open mids form the K702. The K712 seems to put many mids in that area, maybe too much? Because of that, i find music and other akustic information to thick, a little annoying... and maybe it is a lack of locationability?!

The K712 is slightly darker compared to the K702, but the soundstage felt more accurate to me.
With the K702 it felt like music was coming in front of you from an horizontal stage. With the K712 instead your head is the center and you're surrounded by music. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #4,804 of 6,349

@Contrail, 

yes, darker, less treble....less Accents.
My thoughts are in way of using a EQ for first time in my life...

I changed the pads from K702 to K712: not good, but similar to K702
I changed the pads from K712 to K702: same as above

I think the K712 has much more energy. And it works better with his own pads.
The K702 with pads from K712 is no improvement.

For me, i have to decide completely to become a K712 listener or staying at the Level of K702......ARGH!

And, whats about burning in, any sense?

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #4,805 of 6,349

@Contrail, 

yes, darker, less treble....less Accents.
My thoughts are in way of using a EQ for first time in my life...

I changed the pads from K702 to K712: not good, but similar to K702
I changed the pads from K712 to K702: same as above

I think the K712 has much more energy. And it works better with his own pads.
The K702 with pads from K712 is no improvement.

For me, i have to decide completely to become a K712 listener or staying at the Level of K702......ARGH!

i noticed an improvement on the lower frequencies after 50 hours

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #4,806 of 6,349
  i noticed an improvement on the lower frequencies after 50 hours

It gets even better with more time ... you're only about a quarter of the way there.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,807 of 6,349

I don't think burn in will change things enough, best chances are it won't change things at all, although you might get used to the more laid back sound signature.

Both K702 and K712 are on the same level anyway and not that far from the very best.
Based on how you seem to appreciate clarity, I guess HD800 should be your next stop.

Keep in mind you won't find something that's just as K702 but better, there's always a slight trade off here or there, but if clarity/transparency is your main goal, then HD800 is the 'proper' upgrade to K702.

Some Staxes can provide the detail, but not the XL soundstage.
Tesla T1.1 is more transparent than K702 and sharper sounding retaining the big 3D soundstage, but the bass is more along the lines of K712 so maybe not your cup of tea.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #4,810 of 6,349
General thoughts about that both Headphones: Which is right?

Depends on how the material sounds in real, the headphone should give a serious aspect of reality.
A Rimshot should hit my ears hard enough, so i can realize "yes it is a rimshot". Cymbals should make something which is really high, piercingly bright and clear, without fabric in between. In this case I would say the K702 has outstanding specialities.

K702 is really right at happenings as fast as they are in reality. It has also good references in differences between loud and be quiet. But we all miss something body....thats it.
But let me say maybe they (AKG) did not think about that problem long enough, because they only gave much bass,way  too much, so all the good things are gone. In fact they let me see more body in the mids which is praiseworthy but on the other hand very risky, because: the mids are not OPEN!

@Me, 

do u see a chance to raise the mids about EQ?

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #4,811 of 6,349
  General thoughts about that both Headphones: Which is right?

Depends on how the material sounds in real, the headphone should give a serious aspect of reality.
A Rimshot should hit my ears hard enough, so i can realize "yes it is a rimshot". Cymbals should make something which is really high, piercingly bright and clear, without fabric in between. In this case I would say the K702 has outstanding specialities.

K702 is really right at happenings as fast as they are in reality. It has also good references in differences between loud and be quiet. But we all miss something body....thats it.
But let me say maybe they (AKG) did not think about that problem long enough, because they only gave much bass,way  too much, so all the good things are gone. In fact they let me see more body in the mids which is praiseworthy but on the other hand very risky, because: the mids are not OPEN!

@Me, 

Yes, sure.
Give me some minutes.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #4,812 of 6,349
Constant switching between headphones gives a distorted experience..The K712 has a very natural soundstage, there for the mids are not in your face like the HD600 (which has its own charm)..

Give it some time before eq so you get to know the headphone

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,813 of 6,349
  @Me, 

Try this on a parametric equalizer:

- 2dB Low Shelf centered at 650Hz (Q = 0.50)
+2dB Low Shelf centered at 50Hz (Q = 0.70)
+4dB Peak centered at 4500Hz (Q=2)

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4,814 of 6,349
...i found a commend to an article http://headfonics.com/2013/10/the-k712-pro-by-akg/ and review to the K712 which represented my opinion:

"Fastguitars  3 years ago

The fatal flaw of the AKG 712s is the recessed treble that is probably a result of that extra db of low frequency that has been dialed into these cans...The engineers engineered the treble right out of the AKG712s such was there too obsessed pursuit of giving you "more bass"......So, you end up with a too warm sound, acerbated by the wide sound stage, and the result is that the articulation and precise trebles that AKGs phones are known for are missing........You keep thinking, "wow these sound great , listen to that low end, but where is the treble"....And im using a Woo Audio Fireflies and a Concero HP, and neither of these $1000 headphone amps can find any treble in these cans."

But, the K712 has something which makes me different - after hours of listenings i switched so many times ... at the end i can find fun in these modern sounding cans. In the mids and treble they are muddy and full of trash, but the body around is beautiful :)

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #4,815 of 6,349
It is hard for me....

I love the "body" of K712, but when i put my old K702 on i notice totally relaxation, feeling my shoulder coming down and got into "music-understanding".
Before i start to listen to the K712 i never missed any Bass on my K702, but now?

Bad job AKG.

It cannot be my responsibility to make the EQ right on my HP!

Bad job...

And on the other hand, K712 is much more focused, the stage is well weighted and music becomes more sense, so what???

Is there any Mod exist outside which can compromise these problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back