Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC

Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC

Rated #9 in Amp/DACs

Pros: Great value, sounds great, drives all my headphones well

Cons: N/A

Great entry level DAC. Noticeable improvement over the onboard sound of my mac. Pairs great with my audioengine A2s. Powers my HD600 and HE400 headphones very well, seriously can not tell the difference between this and the Asgard 2 (which very much disappointed me for the price).

Gorgeous looks and build quality. Great size. If I ever upgrade my DAC I will use this as a portable/bedside DAC + amp. Powered off USB is great.

Pros: Sound quality

Cons: Price misleading

In my opinion, this is as good as the unit of several times more expensive ones.

This is no way inferior to Matrix mini, other than smaller number interfaces to the audio source.

It is also driven by IPAD through USB powered hub.

The design is considerate, compact, and beautiful yet srong.

Pros: Value, sound, build quality, size, volume control

Cons: -

Used with studio monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 ohm headphones.

Nothing really bad to say about this DAC/Amp. The build quality is high, size is small, it drives all headphones I tested it with well. No flaws in the audio quality, looks good, gives you a volume control not only for your headphones, but for your speakers too which is nice if you use studio monitors with separate pots on the backs of the speakers. It's also worth to mention that it accepts digital input from USB, or optical toslink.

So if you need an affordable DAC with RCA outs and an adequate headphone amplifier built in, this is a great alternative.

I purchased this unit because I wanted something to go with my laptop and Audioengine 2 speakers. I wanted something reliable with repair available in the US vs sending the unit back to China with unknown freight and wait times. I hooked the unit up briefly and it works fine with no pops or noise. The sound is very neutral and my MP3's never sounded better.

Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC

Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC (digital-to-analog converter) allows you to bypass your computer's soundcard or headphone output and send audio through USB or optical. D1 is the perfect digital interface between your computer and music system and will improve the sound of ALL your music.