The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #4,771 of 6,345
  Well, We double, triple checked those AKG models. They look absolutely identical physically.

I think mine are not fake. Is there a way to test akg products online if fake or not ?

You see, both K712 headphones sound AKG-ish identical - as clear and undistorted as it gets, same tonality, same mids and treble, the only problem was the quantity and deepness of bass. Since I had previously auditioned Q701, I am pretty confident it's the same HQ AKG tech inside, but something is missing or wrong (a damping cloth or the entire driver is downgraded to K702).

Well, we did not open the headphones to see the insides, AKG use a very sophisticated tech-process (there are youtube video where you can se how many steps are there made to build a K701 ) so I am negative regards the idea to take parts off the beast. Easier to sell it than to mod it

That's the exact sound I hear from my friend's Slovakia made K712, 0001*** revision. This is why I had sold my HD650 in the first place ! They sound absolutely fabulous for the price. My pair sounds anemic and dry, faster transients but lower detail and less authenticity (remember K702 signature ? You've got the point !)

​Mine K712 Pros are fed By Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2 and I don't hear great bass extension. The sound seems to be bit bright and it is airy and spacious, like the box says.
However, it shouldn't be bright with Asgard 2 but more on the darker side because Asgard 2 is said to be warmer and darker amp.

Why?

Revision number (H.no) is 007576, made in Slovakia.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,772 of 6,345

​Mine K712 Pros are fed By Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2 and I don't hear great bass extension. The sound seems to be bit bright and it is airy and spacious, like the box says.
However, it shouldn't be bright with Asgard 2 but more on the darker side because Asgard 2 is said to be warmer and darker amp.

Why?

Revision number (H.no) is 007576, made in Slovakia.

What are you comparing the K712 with?

K712 should be slightly bright next to HD650, but darkish next to DT880

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #4,773 of 6,345

K712 is something in between since it has flatter bass than K7XX.

If you want to get an idea of how K712 sounds tonally, pick K702 and a parametric equalizer and place a +3dB low shelf at 900Hz
The other difference is that K712 sounds more focused than K702 which is just a tad more expansive and diffuse.

Thanks appreciate the help.

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #4,774 of 6,345
  Is the K712 similar to the K702 or Massdrops K7XX?

I own both the K702 and K7XX but prefer the sound of the K702 there's better instrument separation the K7XX just sounds big.

A very simple sidestep/upgrade:

Buy a spare part set of the ear-pads from the K712 and put them on your K702

I had done this for my Q701 and then it's very hard to hear differences between the mod. Q701 and the K712.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #4,775 of 6,345
  After reading about the web apparently they are similar to the K7XX, with less bass. Might be the "too big" you say of :).

I received my "replacement", I decided to open and also check the solder on the right side to see if I was just a fluke. Turns out not, this model was 2000 units below my first order and had a miniscule amount of solder also. I am no solder expert or sound engineer or anything, but its pretty clear it could easily come loose like mine did after a few hours. Also a blob of solder was spilt onto the plastic cup outside casing from the factory.

I think I am going to order the K702 too see how I find them compared to these. This is getting expensive, hah. I am enjoying them very much so, slight hard to have on long periods with longish hair, but I am due for a cut!

One thing that worries me is this head band AKG is going with, I've seen pics of the see through plastic snapping, and while I thought it was see through acrylic, it's more a thin paper flexi plastic, thinking of getting some tape around it to give it a extra layer of protection from snapping. 

Over the last month I had the chance to try brand new pairs of both models, K712 and K702. The K702 felt surprisingly cheap for the price. The headband was really, really flimsy. 
The first time I put them on I didn't notice anything. After a couple of times I started hearing a crack coming from the left pad which was generated by the swivel mechanism. It looked like it was falling apart already. The transparent plastic flap had a crack in it too. 
I read other reviews reporting building quality issues on these lately on amazon.

I wasn't too impressed by the building quality of the K712 too considering its price, but it looked and felt sturdier than the K702. The plastic was of better quality too.
I didn't check the solders though so I can't comment on that.

Bottom line, there wasn't anything wrong with the sound and both headphones delivered top notch performances, but it looks like the building quality went down as their prices did.
The K702 can now be found for less than 140 Euros in Europe. Is it a bargain? I'm not so sure about that. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #4,776 of 6,345
K712 is something in between since it has flatter bass than K7XX.

If you want to get an idea of how K712 sounds tonally, pick K702 and a parametric equalizer and place a +3dB low shelf at 900Hz
The other difference is that K712 sounds more focused than K702 which is just a tad more expansive and diffuse.

Sorry, would u like to be so kind to explain, why u give us a peak at 900Hz? 
I am really in love with the K 702 and i ordered just right now the K 712, and i thought that the K 712 has got 3 db on the bass, and not the 900Hz...

Thank u for help :)

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #4,777 of 6,345

Sorry, would u like to be so kind to explain, why u give us a peak at 900Hz? 
I am really in love with the K 702 and i ordered just right now the K 712, and i thought that the K 712 has got 3 db on the bass, and not the 900Hz...

Thank u for help :)

Hey mate,

Low shelf is not a peak. Here you have an image for reference.

Keep in mind you'll need to place the low shelf at 600Hz or so, so it starts raising at around 900Hz as desired.

K712 has 3dB more bass as published, but the bass is still similarly flat as K702, that's because it's not a K702 with boosted bass, but a K702 with boosted lower midrange and bass which is a different thing. I suggest the low shelf because I've measured both my late K702 and K712 and that's the main difference in their frequency responses.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #4,779 of 6,345
Hey mate,

Low shelf is not a peak. Here you have an image for reference.

Keep in mind you'll need to place the low shelf at 600Hz or so, so it starts raising at around 900Hz as desired.

Thank u for update :)

Now, i got the EQ...and now, i see/hear the problem - maybe thats to much for my listening habits. Are u really for sure? I cant believe that they gave so much boost to my loved K702.
I miss the clarity in the mids and the highs. For e.g. when something starts and something ends. Maybe i'am dirty in my listenings habit, but i wont miss it. Whats about this?
And again, are u really sure with your measurement?
And some posts before i saw a frequency response about the K712 and there was a less linearity during 1000Hz up 2000Hz. Is this a problem too?

Thanx for support :)

Tomorrow morning my K712 will be delivered - must i become afraid?
d511a966_AKG20Uncomp20Freq.png

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #4,780 of 6,345

Nothing.​

The sound is just anemic and bright with no bass. Clearly not darkish.

And the setup is

Lenovo G505s -laptop (FLAC files) > USB Bifrost 4490 > Asgard 2 > AKG K712 Pro

Well, your reference and your recordings are key here.
As I've said in my previous post there's a wide variety of sound signatures in the headphone world.

In terms of bass quantity:
Fidelio X1/X2 >> HD650 > K712/Tesla T1 > K702/DT880 > HD800

Keep that in mind.
If you want Fidelio X1 kind of bass then K712 will surely sound as if it provides no bass at all.
You'll find people out there who think K712 is overly warm and normally prefer the cooler HD800.

Your preferences and your recordings play a big role at this point.

(Always assuming your K712 is not defective)

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #4,781 of 6,345

Thank u for update :)

Now, i got the EQ...and now, i see/hear the problem - maybe thats to much for my listening habits. Are u really for sure? I cant believe that they gave so much boost to my loved K702.
I miss the clarity in the mids and the highs. For e.g. when something starts and something ends. Maybe i'am dirty in my listenings habit, but i wont miss it. Whats about this?
And again, are u really sure with your measurement?
And some posts before i saw a frequency response about the K712 and there was a less linearity during 1000Hz up 2000Hz. Is this a problem too?

Thanx for support :)

Tomorrow morning my K712 will be delivered - must i become afraid?

Wait to hear the K712.

It's not that big of a boost, are you sure you've setted the EQ properly?
Anyway, EQing can cause loss of clarity in some cases, more so when not using a top class parametric equalizer.
K712 has different pads so it sounds more focused than K702 and that helps clarity.

Both measure very close in the 1000-2000Hz region.
K712 is slightly darker in the 3000-4000Hz region where K702 is slightly recessed as well.

Treble is pretty much the same on both in level and shape of the FR.
If you want something that's more energetic than K702 then K712 is not a good route to take.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #4,782 of 6,345

Nothing.​

The sound is just anemic and bright with no bass. Clearly not darkish.

And the setup is

Lenovo G505s -laptop (FLAC files) > USB Bifrost 4490 > Asgard 2 > AKG K712 Pro

Something is wrong with your K712. If found it darkish sounding with not enough upper mids and treble energy with the same setup except for coaxial input. Bass is just right and goes deep IMO. The comparisons are based on my Yamaha HS7 speakers which sounds close to flat frequency response to my ears.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #4,783 of 6,345
 If you want something that's more energetic than K702 then K712 is not a good route to take.

HI Me,

what do u mean with "more energetic"?
Maybe i cannot understand the Listeners - Vocabulary?!
Need help there...

I find the K702 perfect for being neutral - so if music is "energetic" the K702 will show it...thats my two cents.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4,784 of 6,345

HI Me,

Need help there...

I find the K702 perfect for being neutral - so if music is "energetic" the K702 will show it...thats my two cents.

I agree that something is wrong with your K712s.I've never heard anyone describe the K712s as sounding 'anemic'.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4,785 of 6,345

HI Me,

Need help there...

K702 has just a little bit more treble and more attack relative to the lower midrange and bass (next to K712)
Piano hits slightly harder, cymbals have more presence.

Both will show if music is energetic, but to a slightly different degree.
K712 is a little bit more relaxed in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back