The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #4,741 of 6,349

K712 are normally made in Slovakia, except for some early units made in Austria

about three weeks ago i asked the people from the european dealer thomann.de and they confirmed their K712s were made in Slovakia. about a week ago i asked on the european website muziker.de and they said their K712s were made in China. i believe the most recent units are made in China, maybe someone else can confirm.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #4,742 of 6,349
  about three weeks ago i asked the people from the european dealer thomann.de and they confirmed their K712s were made in Slovakia. about a week ago i asked on the european website muziker.de and they said their K712s were made in China. i believe the most recent units are made in China, maybe someone else can confirm.

bought mine few weeks ago in China through eglobal..they are made in Slovakia

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #4,743 of 6,349

bought mine few weeks ago in China through eglobal..they are made in Slovakia

thanks! getting it from muziker would save me around 20 (basically because shipping is free). but i'm not sure about the reply i got from them, they clearly stated the "AKG K712 are designed in Austria, made in China" (for whoever doubts i got that message, i can send you a screenshot via PM). nothing against stuff made in china btw, just really confused about the contradictory information.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #4,744 of 6,349
Just got my new ear cushions, here you can see a comparison of the old one (on the left) vs the new one (on the right). I bought the headphones used, so i don't know how much exactly were they used, but the seller said they had them for around 2,5 year, and was using them for maybe 2 hours a day.
I confirm, the new ones are much more comfy :)
Damn they were expensive though..... but totally worth it :D

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #4,745 of 6,349
thanks! getting it from muziker would save me around [COLOR=252525]€[/COLOR]20 (basically because shipping is free). but i'm not sure about the reply i got from them, they clearly stated the "AKG K712 are designed in Austria, made in China" (for whoever doubts i got that message, i can send you a screenshot via PM). nothing against stuff made in china btw, just really confused about the contradictory information.

Perhaps the seller was mistaken and thought about 702s, which to my understanding are made in China. My 712s purchased recently came from the Chinese AKG distributor and are made in Slovakia.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #4,746 of 6,349
Just bought the K712 Pro off amazon for £180, looking forward to my replacement of my k550, which I got a warranty replacement on a known problem. Only for the same to happen again, but this time I fixed myself with some gorilla glue. Now 2 years later I order K712's and I am blown away by the quality of sound for a few hours. After 3 hours in, right headphone dies. Seriously? is this a known issue? Beginning to think AKG of a brand of cheap plastic selling for high price headphones and I don't want too. Always thought highly of AKG and recommended to MANY, and while I will get a replacement, I want to live at rest that all the sudden one side wont die on me. They are not the once reliable brand I once thought of :frowning2:

This post is in mainly regret that I have had 3 hours of great headphone listening only to be destroyed by the worst problem of getting headphones straight outta the box. Goddammit, I wish they were all that they were for those 3 hours.

Was driving on a Fiio E10K not full volume at all, just cut out.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4,747 of 6,349
AKG are not alone, read about Audeze driver failures, myself when I bought Beyer Dynamic T1 2nd generation they arrived with the left driver dead. Personally I have used AKG's for several decades with no problems at all. Any product from any company can fail it is just the luck of the draw

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #4,748 of 6,349
curiosity got the better of me and unscrewed the cup to find a unhooked red wire. Do I solder back on or go with a replacement? Never done much soldering but have one laying around if need be, the wire will need stripping, have a pic but cant post yet. 

They sounded so damn good, so for that to happen was a kill joy! what do you think? self repair or replace with amazon prime? is it common in all these cans?

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #4,749 of 6,349
  curiosity got the better of me and unscrewed the cup to find a unhooked red wire. Do I solder back on or go with a replacement? Never done much soldering but have one laying around if need be, the wire will need stripping, have a pic but cant post yet. 

They sounded so damn good, so for that to happen was a kill joy! what do you think? self repair or replace with amazon prime? is it common in all these cans?

i wish this problem don't happen to me ! I read that a lot of akg k 7 series had this problem .

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #4,751 of 6,349
Yes very unfortunate :frowning2:. I was hoping to avoid problems by not going the AK7XX route on massdrop but seems quality issues are spread across. Not pleased, was not so pleased with K550's although warranty for a replacement was great they didn't last much longer. Was so hyped for a great sounding headphone too!

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #4,753 of 6,349
If the disattached wire goes to the speaker, DO NOT solder it by yourself. If it goes to the xlr, sure go for it. Let me explain. I did some soldering, I have a moderate experience. I also did some re cabling on my k701, and I broke a driver while soldering it..... twice... The voice coil wire is so thin and delicate on it, it will break (burn) from just the temperature of the soldering iron. So please, if the soldering has to be done on the driver, don't do it, you would be at high risk of damaging the driver. Again, if it's on the xlr or the headband, you will be fine soldering it. Oh, now that i reread your post, it's right driver that went down, in that case you are safe soldering it by yourself since it's the headband :)

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4,754 of 6,349
 I soldered it this morning
atsmile.gif
. All is good. Put a slight extra on the other end of the wire too as that was hardly attached. I don't mind fixing things myself, just incredible annoying after owning them for a few hours for them not function correctly.

Decided to solder and cancel my replacement from Amazon after being told it would take over a week to get to me, turns out they never canceled and I'm receiving a replacement tomorrow 
blink.gif
So all was pointless. Oh well. Really undecided in keeping them all together now tbh.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #4,755 of 6,349
   I soldered it this morning
atsmile.gif
. All is good. Put a slight extra on the other end of the wire too as that was hardly attached. I don't mind fixing things myself, just incredible annoying after owning them for a few hours for them not function correctly.

Decided to solder and cancel my replacement from Amazon after being told it would take over a week to get to me, turns out they never canceled and I'm receiving a replacement tomorrow 
blink.gif
So all was pointless. Oh well. Really undecided in keeping them all together now tbh.

So are you supposed to send the broken opes back? Also, why undecided now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back