The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #4,321 of 6,345
I really want a removable cable because i had 3 sennheiser pc360...They all stoped working because i just...  killed the cables with my chair and my legs :D
Now i have a 4th pc360 (it bug with the sound volume, working only on the left or the right but i still can fix it :D) that i use on the front panel computer with other wifi stuff do to thing at longer distance and my G4me One sennheiser pluged at the back of my computer all the time sleeping on my desk (better sound from behind). YES I M A LAZY PERSON :D

There is 22 hours left for the K7XX but multiple things hurt me:
*The K712 will have a little bit better sound
*Better quality (no plastic no china)
*No wait time compared to massdrop.

*Almose a cheaper version of the K712 (sound even) but i will save like 120euros in France. With it i will be able to try a ODAC.

Because if i order now, i will be on the last drop...The first one start the 9 and i'm pretty sure it will take at least 2 months or more to get this headphone made by baby chinese at home.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #4,322 of 6,345
  I really want a removable cable because i had 3 sennheiser pc360...They all stoped working because i just...  killed the cables with my chair and my legs :D
Now i have a 4th pc360 (it bug with the sound volume, working only on the left or the right but i still can fix it :D) that i use on the front panel computer with other wifi stuff do to thing at longer distance and my G4me One sennheiser pluged at the back of my computer all the time sleeping on my desk (better sound from behind). YES I M A LAZY PERSON :D

There is 22 hours left for the K7XX but multiple things hurt me:
*The K712 will have a little bit better sound
*Better quality (no plastic no china)
*No wait time compared to massdrop.

*Almose a cheaper version of the K712 (sound even) but i will save like 120euros in France. With it i will be able to try a ODAC.

Because if i order now, i will be on the last drop...The first one start the 9 and i'm pretty sure it will take at least 2 months or more to get this headphone made by baby chinese at home.

In regards to the no plastic thing, the K712's are still plastic, just like the K7XX. 
Again if you feel like you're going to be missing out on something then just go with the K712, and save up to get the ODAC later. The K712's still sound good when played through other sources, but a good dac & amp like the ODAC will make them amazing. This also applies to the K7XX as well.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #4,323 of 6,345
  Right now, while writing this post, I am enjoying my friend's older 0015** revision model. I had borrowed it for this weekend to find out the physical difference between the two. I had previously watched an youtube video about how to take parts down of an AKG model without harming the headphone, so I took the time to check both headphone internals. 

I am glad you are happy with your model, but than again, you have not compared it with a different AKG product. I did, and I also used in the past a pair of Q701’s. I never told that midbass and sub-bass of my K712 wasn’t there (0093** revision), I've been complaining, It wasn’t the same volume (db) lvl, compared to an older, 2014 year model, 0015** revision.

After an extensive A/B comparison, I would like to add further observations. Besides the different lvl in bass, the two exactly same headphones (K712) , sound difference in more areas, not bass lvls only. The newer K712’s also share a hump in the upper mids (1kh) region. This makes them brighter and kind of more fatigue headphones, in direct, A/B comparison between the two. So, not bass only, the mids are also different, mine are definitely brighter.

Final observation – the decay. It’s also different. The newer model has a much faster, almost non-existent decay. This makes it sound almost artificial in comparison, since in real world, music sounds different, it echoes from different objects, it reverbs, it does not disappear instantly. The decay I hear from the older K712s is different. It’s much faster then Sennheiser decay (HD650), but it’s definitely slower than in my newer model.

To put a summary , the newer K712s , 0093** revision, downgrade compared to the older models in the following aspects:

a) Bass general lvl is 3db lower, which sets the bass behind the midrange (behind the vocals), not the same layer as in older model.

b) Mids are brighter because of a distinct upper-mids hump (1khz-2khz). This cause fatigue .

c) The decay is almost non-existent, sounds disappear instantly.

Don’t get me wrong, the newer K712s are a good sounding headphone, but they don’t scale as good. Besides, Q701, K702, K701 were never considered a bad sounding headphone. The performance is right there at the lvl of mid-fi, 250$ headphones. The true K712’s , however, scale much, much better, they can do a comfortable competition for twice as much costing headphones, hell, they can sound better than a planar magnetic monster and even HD800s. Not mine (the newer one, 0093** revision)…

Ok. Now, let me share my physical difference observations.

I had made photos of the insides of my headphone. Please, take a careful look at my photo, and the one found in google for K712s. The drivers on my model have a distinct red line recess. It is present on both drivers. Not present in the older K712 model.  

Unfortunately, this was the only visual difference, between the two. I had also taken away the back side of the headphone and found the exactly same parts and wire configuration. I took the time to examine everything. Even the small red and white wires had the same label. This made me conclude, my Honk-Kong K712s are not fake. These are genuine, original K712 Pro. The only remaining option is blaming AKG themselves for cheating on the customers. They should had made a distinct model for studio needs, not change the original , more audiophile oriented tuning.

The newer K712 don’t sound bad, but audiophiles like you and me won’t get the ultimate headphone, you’ll get another nice pair of headphones, that has it’s flows and positives, but you’ll gonna sell it in the end, because you don’t want that analytical presentation, you want a more life-like reference

skingg, could you please make a picture or share the link of the exact warranty sticker, since I don't find anything like that.

I own AKG K601 headphones (Made in Austria) for almost eight years, and never had a problem. Over this years I tried other brands, mainly Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250Ohm) and DT 990, Audio-technica ATH-A700 and ATH-A900, but always came back to AKG. After many positive reviews from K712 users I decided to try this model.

So I bought my K712Pro yesterday (27.02.2016) from JustMusic retailer in Berlin. They are made in Slovakia.
Before buying I had about 20 minutes to listen to several different models of AKG headphones at shop demo stand, such as K612 Pro, K701, K702, K712 Pro (Made in Austria).
And I noticed that whole K7xx series is brighter than K612 Pro. And in my opinion, K712 is brightest (Austria or Slovakia doesn't matter).
Anyway I like how they sounds, and completely satisfied with this purchase.

All people perceive sound differently, and there is no true_real_audiophile headphones, there is only a personal preferences.

About your headphones - yes, it looks genuine, but definitely wasn't sold through official channel. Three-digit serial number? Come on, my stepped over fifty thousand.
Of course this fact doesn't affect the sound, but they are made for another market on another factory. So may be AKG doesn't like chinese audiophiles so much? ;D

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #4,324 of 6,345

I own AKG K601 headphones (Made in Austria) for almost eight years, and never had a problem. Over this years I tried other brands, mainly Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250Ohm) and DT 990, Audio-technica ATH-A700 and ATH-A900, but always came back to AKG. After many positive reviews from K712 users I decided to try this model.

So I bought my K712Pro yesterday (27.02.2016) from JustMusic retailer in Berlin. They are made in Slovakia.
Before buying I had about 20 minutes to listen to several different models of AKG headphones at shop demo stand, such as K612 Pro, K701, K701, K712 Pro (Made in Austria).
And I noticed that whole K7xx series is brighter than K612 Pro. And in my opinion, K712 is brightest (Austria or Slovakia doesn't matter).
Anyway I like how they sounds, and completely satisfied with this purchase.

All people perceive sound differently, and there is no true_real_audiophile headphones, there is only a personal preferences.

About your headphones - yes, it looks genuine, but definitely wasn't sold through official channel. Three-digit serial number? Come on, my stepped over fifty thousand.
Of course this fact doesn't affect the sound, but they are made for another market on another factory. So may be AKG doesn't like chinese audiophiles so much? ;D

Your response give some hope to me as a K712 future buyer... It will be my real step up from the hd558 sennheinser and i don't want to be "fool" with a 320euros headphone over amazon :frowning2:
Some people even quote this headphone as HD800 brother over the "sound details" and less "darker".
I'm just reporting things that some guys said (true or not, i can't say).

But it's strange to not see more publicity and activity on this thread... It's maybe one of the best headpone over here for the price but not to many people are speaking about it. I think they lost their minds in the k701,702,k612,k7xx crazy comparaison circle and all the aniversery series and they don't even know the k712 is here :D

If it was 280euros on amazon right now, i would buy it but 330 is a bit expensive... There are website on the internet that sell it for 270euros but it's some shady website from honk kong.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #4,325 of 6,345
I want to replace my k712pro stock orange cable and was wondering if you guys knew if these cables are a worthy replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-AKG-Headphone-Cable-Q701-K702-Mini-XLR-Canare-Neutrik-1-4-iPod-iPhone-/121565364847

thanks!!!

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #4,326 of 6,345
IMO, Nothing wrong with it but to me it's just the same as the stock cable with a neutric terminal.

I'm also in the process of replacing the stock cable with a shorter 1.5 meter cable since the stock cable is too long. I ordered a 1.5 m FAW noir HPC mk2 cable to replace mine. You can get some nicer looking cables for a bit more than that if looks is a factor for you.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #4,328 of 6,345
IMO, Nothing wrong with it but to me it's just the same as the stock cable with a neutric terminal.

I'm also in the process of replacing the stock cable with a shorter 1.5 meter cable since the stock cable is too long. I ordered a 1.5 m FAW noir HPC mk2 cable to replace mine. You can get some nicer looking cables for a bit more than that if looks is a factor for you.

I want a cable that sounds better than stock with the same length but I don't want to pay something ridiculous for it.   Silver would have been optimal but they're way out my price range for 10 feet. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4,329 of 6,345

I want a cable that sounds better than stock with the same length but I don't want to pay something ridiculous for it.   Silver would have been optimal but they're way out my price range for 10 feet. 

High end cable is a trap. It will not sound better. You can have the texture you want but it will certainly not change the sound :/

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #4,330 of 6,345

Agree with Swifty.

I purchased mine just to get a shorter cable, but I like it fancy and that's my only justification for the purchase (it's still a copper cable though). The stock cable is too cluttered for me. You're way better off upgrading amps and DACs to get the best out of the K712s.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #4,332 of 6,345

get a silver plated copper cable with 3 cores in one cable (24-26 awg will do), with 19 strands in each core for a softer cable, get a 3.5mm connector and Rean mini xlr connector and try to DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back