The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #4,306 of 6,349
Guys im looking for a good setup for AK 712 Pro with MODMIC 4.0, i dont have sound card or DAC/AMP yet, only on-board card, and i want to play FPS like CS.GO without surround or 5.1 / 7.1 but i need the good combo to hear the footsteps, please i was loooking everywhere and all places, alot ppl do not have answer i was looking for, so if u have a little time can u help me? Thanks anyway.

Sry bad english

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #4,307 of 6,349
Hi, i'm in the same exact potision like you : Extremely good overall heaphone for gaming and music with a MODMIC 4.0 on it.
And i end up on the AKG line up that is like good call of duty game made by activision... All good and basicaly the same.
But i end up with the AKG K712.

But if you have for exemple the last "realtek codec", the "ALC1150" coupled with a motherboard that have shield iem protection, apparently it's not worth upgrading to a DAC. (ALC = integrated sound card(chipset) = internal soundcard (asus essence II PCI....)= external soundcard(dac like odac or Modi 2...)).

If you don't hear any wierd noise coming from your system, you basicaly doesn't need a DAC on an ALC1150 chipset. The only thing that you would maybe need is an External AMP (amplifier) to power up your headphone. But again, your motherboard maybe already have an integrated amp (opa#### #=number). Motherboard seller say "Can go up to 600ohm headphone like studio one" but no one, even them know if it's really work or want to say it.

So the only thing you might want is an AMP like the "famous" O2 or Schiit Magni2. If you have an other integrated DAC than the ALC1150, you can go with a DAC like the "odac"(made by the same guy who did the O2) or Modi 2 AND even more importantly if your motherboard doesn't have protection against electronic parasite.

If you are going to upgrade your computer soon (good motherboard), don't buy anything and try out first. If you already have it, try it out first too :) But the very tricky thing about it will be this question in your mind "I will never know if with this [ ] it will sound better than this [ ]"... And you will literaly lost your mind if some DAC/AMP sound better with this or this or this microphone.....

I'm in the exact same spot than you. I contacted "JDS Labs" by mail and they said that about my msi z97 gaming 5, "i don't need DAC but will maybe need an AMP".

And "mayflowerelectronics" by mail said "go for both". I spoke a bit about technical specs comparaison between the two DACs and he said very vaguely "look at these two lines, it's a bit better"... Well, i'm not convinced

I contacted MSI, the manufactur of my motherboard, and they don't know/don't want to say if the traditional o2+odac combo (or schiit stack with modi2/magni2) is better or even than a well integrated ALC1150 codec with shield protection and amp in it...

I gave to them specs of both DAC and the amp AND NOBODY GAVE ME A STRAIGH answere.

I posted on many forums, and listen to many many peoples/videos but you will basicaly NEVER have an answere because
*It's not in the interest to the person to you to know (they are helper and seller at the same time/sponsorship).
*the person never tried and can't bieleve that new real gaming motherboard and not like his crappy laptop or that is old motherboard can be better than his 1k dollars audio stuff.
*Many people will say yes, you need at least one of them.
*Few will say "you don't need any of this if you already have a well integrated ALC1150 with integrated amp in it on a good motherboard".

And the discution doesn't stop at "do i need an amp/dac"... because people will start speaking about "internal soundcard".
But it's more easy on this part. Generaly internalsoundcard have good DAC but bad AMP. So you have to buy and external amp anyway...
And the driver totally suck!! (hello asus).

If you never had good heaphone/set, and you don't want to think about upgrading to an amp/dac and all this infinity useless questions, just buy the sennheiser hd 558, hd 598 or the 558 with an already microphone on it the "G4me one (open design) or G4me zero (close design, cool for lan but not for soundstage and it's bad for footstep).
It will save to you many time.

So my friend, i hope i savec you some time and headicks :X

Coming back to this post, nobody can say again if the AKG 712 PROhas been downgraded or not. And if the K7XXX is at 99% the same than the AKG712 PRO ?

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #4,308 of 6,349
  Guys im looking for a good setup for AK 712 Pro with MODMIC 4.0, i dont have sound card or DAC/AMP yet, only on-board card, and i want to play FPS like CS.GO without surround or 5.1 / 7.1 but i need the good combo to hear the footsteps, please i was loooking everywhere and all places, alot ppl do not have answer i was looking for, so if u have a little time can u help me? Thanks anyway.

Sry bad english

I'm currently loving my Creative Soundblaster X7 LE with the K712's, and I'm sure that would great for you since you're on PC. Or you can look into the Creative Soundblaster G5. Those are good if you want great gaming and great sounding music at the sometime in one nice package. 

I've also used my Schiit Stack with my K712s and they did fine.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #4,310 of 6,349
For stereo gaming (which is best with CS:GOs sound engine), I'd just add an amp and call it a day. You won't get a better value than that. You can always add a DAC later.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4,312 of 6,349
  I think this man speaks the truth, Your not going to pick up the subtle differences in CS GO

Stereo in realtek driver and heaphone in csgo setting ?

Coming back to this post, nobody can say again if the AKG 712 PRO has been downgraded or not. And if the K7XXX is at 99% the same than the AKG712 PRO ? because having a 99% AKG 712 for 120euros less, it's nice :) But massdrop end soon so one answere fast should be nice.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #4,315 of 6,349
From my understanding and research, the K712 is only slightly better than K7XX. If you can't find a K712 for the price you want, then getting the K7XX would probably be the most ideal for you. You're not sacrificing much or anything at all really, as the soundstage should be the same K7series awesome soundstage, which is great for gaming, as well as getting an extremely similar sound signature. 

The main difference between the two would be make as one if from China and the other is from Slovakia now. The K712 also comes with a travel bag and an extra coiled cable. The K712 will probably not be as warm as the K7XX, but it's a very very very subtle difference from what I've read.

Again this is all from research that I've done as I own a pair of the K712's and was planning on purchasing a pair of K7XX's for the office, but I really love that black and orange color scheme, so I'm getting another K712 personally.

Either way you're getting an awesome pair of headphones that you're for sure going to Love. Again if you can't find the K712 for the price you want then the K7XX is great alternative.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #4,317 of 6,349
A good price for me depends on whether or not I'm buying used.

New I would prefer to spend < $300 (USD), used < $240ish depending on the condition. 

Again if that's too much out of your price range you cans till always get a new K7XX for $200 (USD). 

Here's another tip, if you feel like you're going to miss out on the experience of the K712 , then just buy them. I was in the same position for a while and decided that if I'm fussing out so much whether I'm going to be missing out by saving money, then I might as well spend the extra money so I know I'm not missing out on anything. If I happen to get my hands on a K7XX and realize that they're the same, I'll still be happy because in the end I still have my K712's and now I know for the future reference that I can get the K7XX for that same sound at a cheaper price later on down the line.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #4,318 of 6,349
Ok :)

I do have a question: i do own a HD558 and i like it but i want some thing better. But the only high end headphone i tried was the DT770 and i hated every thing about it (close, metalic sound, it hurted my ears). With these informations, beside the HD598, what is the best AKG with detachable cable i can have?
I will be using an O2.

Best regard. Still waiting for others impressions about the k7xxxxxxxxxx :)

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,319 of 6,349

I do have a question: i do own a HD558 and i like it but i want some thing better. But the only high end headphone i tried was the DT770 and i hated every thing about it (close, metalic sound, it hurted my ears). With these informations, beside the HD598, what is the best AKG with detachable cable i can have?
I will be using an O2.

All the K AKG have a certain signature sound and its different than the Beyers, maybe try the K612?

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #4,320 of 6,349

I will be using an O2.

If you're not planning on spending $1k+ on headphones,I say the K712, under that I would say K7XX, then K702 (latest version with no bumps). 

Quote:
  All the K AKG have a certain signature sound and its different than the Beyers, maybe try the K612?

I would've mentioned the K612, but that doesn't have a removable cable. If it did then they would be even more awesome than they already are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back