The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #4,276 of 6,345
The output impedance (1/8) has to do with damping to prevent perhaps unwanted changes in response in relation to the non-linearities of many headphones' impedance functions across frequency. In other words, many dynamic driver headphones have an impedance bump in the mid-lower bass, and having a high output impedance will boost that area.

You can use all of those settings to play with the sound you want... some people like the K7## series out of amps with 60+ ohm output impedances. Keep the gain as low as you can and still get the desired volume levels you need.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #4,280 of 6,345
Idk about the W/AM settings... high gain is gonna be louder that's all I know :p. Bypassing input capacitors means you put a smaller capacitor in parallel with the ones already there. This usually can help smooth out the higher frequency response... capacitors of different sizes have different characteristics at different frequencies. Check in the Ember threads for brands and values... I know a lot of the Bottlehead DIYers really get into capacitor reviews a lot. Mundorfs, ClarityCaps, etc. all get really expensive at the higher voltage values (needed for tubes often, and they sometimes are more even across the hearing range IIRC).

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #4,281 of 6,345
Um, I looked up that amp and it's an OTL tube amp which is not the kind of amp you really want to use with the K712 for optimal sound.

Well!  I'm using it and it sounds beyond anything I've heard before.  I replaced the main large chinese tube today with that of Russian Svetlana brand and couldn't believe the sound coming out of my K712 pro's.   Also,  the K712 pro's are the kind of cans that better sound you feed it, the better it sounds.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #4,282 of 6,345
Got some today to replace the harsh DT990

The K712 still has highs but they are much more controlled than the DT990

I dont have enough experience to directly compare with other phones but the striking stand out from the DT990 is the sound stage, The sound stage is just on another level individual instruments and sounds are easy to distinguish and the music feels like it has layers now so much depth and that makes it fantastic in games as well.

One thing i prefer on the DT990 is the bass, on the K712 it's fairly tight and responsive but on the DT990 it's just more punchy and fun, im sure from an analytic point of view the K712 is probably more controlled but the bass on the DT990 is just silly fun

Very happy overall but maybe my ears just arent that well trained yet (only got into this a month ago) but at retail the K712's are £140 more... Im happy paying £40 more than the DT990 (thats what ive done, both used) but i wouldn't stretch to £140 more, diminishing returns maybe

Here are some images

http://imgur.com/a/5rKVZ

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #4,283 of 6,345
Got some today to replace the harsh DT990

The K712 still has highs but they are much more controlled than the DT990

I dont have enough experience to directly compare with other phones but the striking stand out from the DT990 is the sound stage, The sound stage is just on another level individual instruments and sounds are easy to distinguish and the music feels like it has layers now so much depth and that makes it fantastic in games as well.

One thing i prefer on the DT990 is the bass, on the K712 it's fairly tight and responsive but on the DT990 it's just more punchy and fun, im sure from an analytic point of view the K712 is probably more controlled but the bass on the DT990 is just silly fun

Very happy overall but maybe my ears just arent that well trained yet (only got into this a month ago) but at retail the K712's are £140 more... Im happy paying £40 more than the DT990 (thats what ive done, both used) but i wouldn't stretch to £140 more, diminishing returns maybe

Here are some images

http://imgur.com/a/5rKVZ

Welcome to the world if Head-Fi! Excellent choice in Headphones. As you inevitably will experience next going down this rabbit hole...... Sorry for your wallet!

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #4,284 of 6,345

After many time and hearing with AKG K812 Pro, I went to K501 and K712 Pro again.
Comparing with K812, the K712 Pro is a nice headphone with an reasonable pice.
K812 has more detailed indeed, but costs a lot of money more.
Everyone must decide self (after intensive compare hearing) whether it is worth the extra.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #4,285 of 6,345
So i really like the sound of the K712 but i have quite a small head and the ear cups start centred on my ears then slowly drop down until they are almost hanging on the top of my ears.

Would getting pads that are thicker help stop this? Almost like artificially increaing the clamping force?

How about these angled Brainwavez? or will they murder the sound signature? id hate to lose anything from soundstage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455839329&sr=1-1&keywords=brainwavz+angled

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,286 of 6,345
  Anyone listen to the these headphones through the JDS Labs Element?  Seems like a simple and clean desktop solution that would be easy to carry between home and the office.  

I'm actually trying decide between the JDS Labs Element and the Audinst DX1 for the K712 (and DT 770 Pro as secondary pair). Did you get any AMP/DAC combo or are you still trying to decide?

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #4,287 of 6,345
So random question guys, is it bad to hang these guys by the head band? I'm sure that doing so would increase to overall wear on the elastic right?

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #4,288 of 6,345
  So random question guys, is it bad to hang these guys by the head band? I'm sure that doing so would increase to overall wear on the elastic right?

The weight of the headphones isn't really enough to put much strain on the elastic so I think you are safe.  I used to do that with my Q701 and now the K7XX and there are no issues at all.  The suspension headband doesn't even extend for me when I place them on a hanger.

You also have the option of hanging them by the rods too if you are concerned at all.  

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4,289 of 6,345
Quote:
  The weight of the headphones isn't really enough to put much strain on the elastic so I think you are safe.  I used to do that with my Q701 and now the K7XX and there are no issues at all.  The suspension headband doesn't even extend for me when I place them on a hanger.

You also have the option of hanging them by the rods too if you are concerned at all.  

Sweet, I would just hang them from the rods but my X7 doesn't give me enough clearance to do so. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #4,290 of 6,345
Quote:
Sweet, I would just hang them from the rods but my X7 doesn't give me enough clearance to do so. Thanks!

Dude hang them from the rods. I wish I could turn back time like Cher and hang them that way. I think it would help. Just make sure whatever you hang them on is padded so you don't cut up that nice orange paint job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back