The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #4,261 of 6,345
Um, I looked up that amp and it's an OTL tube amp which is not the kind of amp you really want to use with the K712 for optimal sound.

Do you mean you'd connect the Asgard 2 to an iPod's headphone jack? That's pretty much a recipe for less-than-stellar sound, you shouldn't connect a headphone amp to any device's headphone jack, that's only going to amp a signal that's already being amped to an extent, and "double-amping" degrades the signal quality. Also it makes no sense to buy a $250 amp to double-amp if all you want is more volume, you could buy any of the really cheap Chinese-made <$100 amps to do that which will have the same effect.

The Modi/Vali 2 combo would unquestionably sound better, especially into a headphone like the K712.

I wouldn't plug it straight into the headphone jack. I would use a LOD cable (fiio l9). Also I was more or less thinking along the lines of spend the money on the Asgard now and just use the iPod until I am ready to spend another 100 bucks to get the modi.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #4,262 of 6,345
I'd only buy used on amazon if its from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

I saw it new on amazon just this past month for $348.

I wish I wouldve seen that D: right now cheapest is $399 (theres one for $384, but with $24 in tax). I may just bite the bullet, use my $100 gift card on there to save my bank account a little bit of a beating, lol. Out of all hobbies, I have a very expensive one xD

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #4,264 of 6,345
I'm a happy K712 owner and I tend to disagree with the aforementioned statement that AKGs are harsh and bright when not driven properly. iPad mini makes K712 sound more lush and smooth in comparison to Behringer Ultramatch Pro DAC + AMB M3 amp system. Of course iPad loses the competition when it comes to soundstage, bass quality and overall detail reproduction.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #4,266 of 6,345
I wish I wouldve seen that D: right now cheapest is $399 (theres one for $384, but with $24 in tax). I may just bite the bullet, use my $100 gift card on there to save my bank account a little bit of a beating, lol. Out of all hobbies, I have a very expensive one xD

easily the most expensive hobby i have had! and i thought gaming was expensive...

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,267 of 6,345
I don't own the K712 Pro quite yet, but I do have the AKG/Massdrop K7XX and used to have the Q701 (when the AQ Dragonfly was my only amp)... I am surprised you don't see more mention of the Gustard H10 and K712 Pro. I would think that any amp that does a really good job with planar headphones would do well with AKG K7anything as they seem to share the same impedance/power issues though they have a somewhat opposite rep for freq balance in most cases... planars are known for strong bass and weak highs, AKG K7 series known for just the opposite.

I bought the Gustard H10 on the reputation as having a very solid bass section and overall somewhat warm tone and it has not disappointed. Helped tame the HD700 a little bit, really brought the HD600 to life, and was marvelous on a borrowed HE560. I split my time between two headphones right now out of the dozen that I own, one is the K7XX which sounds really good, well controlled, great dynamics and no hints of a harsh treble when driven by the H10. I am thinking of upgrading to the K712 Pro for just a little extra refinement (if it in fact even exists), better aesthetics and having a pure bred AKG despite the questionable value prop compared to K7XX. I am just very confident this would be a really good pairing.

The other is the Audeze EL-8 which has taken over personal flagship duties from my HD700. I am quite seriously considering getting rid of my other 10 pairs of headphones, upgrading to K712 Pro, and just living with these two headphones for a few years.

Just thought I would pop in here with some thoughts... really enjoy this thread and looking forward to upgrading to K712 Pro sometime soon.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #4,269 of 6,345
  I don't own the K712 Pro quite yet, but I do have the AKG/Massdrop K7XX and used to have the Q701 (when the AQ Dragonfly was my only amp)... I am surprised you don't see more mention of the Gustard H10 and K712 Pro. I would think that any amp that does a really good job with planar headphones would do well with AKG K7anything as they seem to share the same impedance/power issues though they have a somewhat opposite rep for freq balance in most cases... planars are known for strong bass and weak highs, AKG K7 series known for just the opposite.

I bought the Gustard H10 on the reputation as having a very solid bass section and overall somewhat warm tone and it has not disappointed. Helped tame the HD700 a little bit, really brought the HD600 to life, and was marvelous on a borrowed HE560. I split my time between two headphones right now out of the dozen that I own, one is the K7XX which sounds really good, well controlled, great dynamics and no hints of a harsh treble when driven by the H10. I am thinking of upgrading to the K712 Pro for just a little extra refinement (if it in fact even exists), better aesthetics and having a pure bred AKG despite the questionable value prop compared to K7XX. I am just very confident this would be a really good pairing.

The other is the Audeze EL-8 which has taken over personal flagship duties from my HD700. I am quite seriously considering getting rid of my other 10 pairs of headphones, upgrading to K712 Pro, and just living with these two headphones for a few years.

Just thought I would pop in here with some thoughts... really enjoy this thread and looking forward to upgrading to K712 Pro sometime soon.

Are you aware that the K7XX and K712 Pro (I own both, my K712 is made in Austria) and identical/nearly identical in sound?  I can't distinguish between the two of them.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #4,270 of 6,345
Yes, I am still keeping an eye out for feedback from folks who own or have heard both extensively. It would not surprise me if this is the case, and I may just sit tight with what I have, but I am still taking it all in and hoping to have a chance to audition the K12 Pro at some point.  Or I may just buy them and make use of a good return policy if I can't tell any difference. The thin wire and weak solder joints that have been reported in the K7XX have me hoping for some slightly better build quality in the K712 Pro but to your point, there may be no appreciable difference in sound or even build quality.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #4,271 of 6,345
I haven't kept up with the K7XX thread; wasn't aware of quality issues.  Mine came from the first batch; there were a few with the rattle issue but that was it.
One of these days I'm going to get off my rear end and sell either the K712 or K7XX.  I A/B'd them a lot in the beginning and then finally gave up trying to discern any differences.
Having had both for a while now I'd say the K712 labeling is a little nicer in finish.  The text in the K7XX is flat while the K712 letters are raised -that's it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #4,272 of 6,345
Hey guys, I just got my K712 recently and let me just say WOW I LOVE THESE HEADPHONES, even more than my Audeze EL8's (driven off a Lyr2).  Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the K712 over the HD650 and HE560 too.  My only issue, though, is that I can't use them at work since they're open-backed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a closed-back alternative that shares a similar sound signature as the K712 Pro?  My EL8 closed back's just don't have quite the same air/sparkle/soundstage as these K712's.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,273 of 6,345
How good are these at blocking out surrounding noise? I recently got the ma-900 and love them, but they're way to open for office use. Should I be moving towards a closed headphone, or are there headphones that have good isolation while maintaining the open design?

Edit: Just saw post above mine. I guess I need to look at a closed headphone.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #4,275 of 6,345
Just picked up a project ember II for my k712, with a telefunkekn 12at7 tube.It sounds great, I've been using it at low gain and low output resistance, because I am under the impressions that the higher output resistances will cause clipping for not being a 1/8 ratio. Does anyone know what the ideal/possible settings on the ember are for use with the k712?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back