The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #4,246 of 6,345
  Right now, while writing this post, I am enjoying my friend's older 0015** revision model. I had borrowed it for this weekend to find out the physical difference between the two. I had previously watched an youtube video about how to take parts down of an AKG model without harming the headphone, so I took the time to check both headphone internals. 

I am glad you are happy with your model, but than again, you have not compared it with a different AKG product. I did, and I also used in the past a pair of Q701’s. I never told that midbass and sub-bass of my K712 wasn’t there (0093** revision), I've been complaining, It wasn’t the same volume (db) lvl, compared to an older, 2014 year model, 0015** revision.

After an extensive A/B comparison, I would like to add further observations. Besides the different lvl in bass, the two exactly same headphones (K712) , sound difference in more areas, not bass lvls only. The newer K712’s also share a hump in the upper mids (1kh) region. This makes them brighter and kind of more fatigue headphones, in direct, A/B comparison between the two. So, not bass only, the mids are also different, mine are definitely brighter.

Final observation – the decay. It’s also different. The newer model has a much faster, almost non-existent decay. This makes it sound almost artificial in comparison, since in real world, music sounds different, it echoes from different objects, it reverbs, it does not disappear instantly. The decay I hear from the older K712s is different. It’s much faster then Sennheiser decay (HD650), but it’s definitely slower than in my newer model.

To put a summary , the newer K712s , 0093** revision, downgrade compared to the older models in the following aspects:

a) Bass general lvl is 3db lower, which sets the bass behind the midrange (behind the vocals), not the same layer as in older model.

b) Mids are brighter because of a distinct upper-mids hump (1khz-2khz). This cause fatigue .

c) The decay is almost non-existent, sounds disappear instantly.

Don’t get me wrong, the newer K712s are a good sounding headphone, but they don’t scale as good. Besides, Q701, K702, K701 were never considered a bad sounding headphone. The performance is right there at the lvl of mid-fi, 250$ headphones. The true K712’s , however, scale much, much better, they can do a comfortable competition for twice as much costing headphones, hell, they can sound better than a planar magnetic monster and even HD800s. Not mine (the newer one, 0093** revision)…

Ok. Now, let me share my physical difference observations.

I had made photos of the insides of my headphone. Please, take a careful look at my photo, and the one found in google for K712s. The drivers on my model have a distinct red line recess. It is present on both drivers. Not present in the older K712 model.  

Unfortunately, this was the only visual difference, between the two. I had also taken away the back side of the headphone and found the exactly same parts and wire configuration. I took the time to examine everything. Even the small red and white wires had the same label. This made me conclude, my Honk-Kong K712s are not fake. These are genuine, original K712 Pro. The only remaining option is blaming AKG themselves for cheating on the customers. They should had made a distinct model for studio needs, not change the original , more audiophile oriented tuning.

The newer K712 don’t sound bad, but audiophiles like you and me won’t get the ultimate headphone, you’ll get another nice pair of headphones, that has it’s flows and positives, but you’ll gonna sell it in the end, because you don’t want that analytical presentation, you want a more life-like reference

skingg, could you please make a picture or share the link of the exact warranty sticker, since I don't find anything like that.

my akg k712 is revision 000985.  Is it the older one or new?   They are made in Austria

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #4,248 of 6,345
is sounds holographic with my Little Bear amp with Russian tubes and Ortofon silver rca cable.  My Little Bear amp main large tube is still chinese.  It will be replaced very soon with Svetlana russian tube when it arrives.   I can't imagine it sounding even better than already is. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #4,250 of 6,345
So the AKG "harsh and bright" tendency is only when theyre not driven properly? What about perhaps the K712's paired with the Lyr 2? Im deeply considering the K712's because of the accuracy, noticeable-but-not-overdone punchy bass and warm mids. Im between these and the HD600's because of the warnings against harshness. If there is a way to get rid of the harsh treble, im sold on the K712's. Also a tube amp really appeals to me, because of its reported sound signature

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #4,252 of 6,345
 So the AKG "harsh and bright" tendency is only when theyre not driven properly? What about perhaps the K712's paired with the Lyr 2? Im deeply considering the K712's because of the accuracy, noticeable-but-not-overdone punchy bass and warm mids. Im between these and the HD600's because of the warnings against harshness. If there is a way to get rid of the harsh treble, im sold on the K712's.

Yes. I'm very positive about the lacking synergy (harsh treble) with AKGs when paired on a lesser solid state amp (DAC as well but on a lesser degree). Whoever wrote the harsh treble about the K712 must never heard them on a proper DAC and amp setup. Lyr 2 should sound very close to Asgard 2 as Lyr 2 is also primarily (not 100%) a class A amp design like the Asgard 2. When paired with DAC and AMP that synergizes well with it, the treble is incredibly smooth while being crystal clear defined UNLESS the encoded song has harsh/digital sounding treble. Keep in mind that AKG headphones are transparent and like the Senn HD800, it will not smooth any harshness from the dac/amp and source file. Heck this headphone will easily expose the sound quality difference between DACs using the Asgard 2 as the amp. Therefore, you must have patience finding the right gears for this headphone if you are really considering it. A suggestion for you is to get the Schiit Bifrost Multibit (it must be turned on 24/7) and Asgard 2 and you'll ears will thank you for sure.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,253 of 6,345
 Seriously considering buying the Vali 2 and Modi 2 for my K712s. My wife is not impressed with my consideration. I told her it could be a lot worse but she's still not buyin it.

I'm more than 70% sure that combo will make the K712 sound energetic. Just let the amp and the DAC warm up before you start listening critically to it.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #4,254 of 6,345
Little Bear P8 amp with russian tubes does wonders for the K712pro, make sure you use audiophile grade interconnect from source to amp like the very affordable silver ortofon Japanese made cables.  Do not shop for those very cheaply silver audiophile interconnects sold on Ebay from China.   It's all fake.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #4,255 of 6,345
I'm more than 70% sure that combo will make the K712 sound energetic. Just let the amp and the DAC warm up before you start listening critically to it.

What if I took the money for the Vali 2 and Modi 2 and just got the Asgard 2 for now and plugged an ipod touch or classic straight into it?

Also, I know people say the o2 amp is bright for the 712s... But what about the ODAC? I like it over the modi because of how compact it is. Would be easy to carry between home and office.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #4,256 of 6,345
Yes. I'm very positive about the lacking synergy (harsh treble) with AKGs when paired on a lesser solid state amp (DAC as well but on a lesser degree). Whoever wrote the harsh treble about the K712 must never heard them on a proper DAC and amp setup. Lyr 2 should sound very close to Asgard 2 as Lyr 2 is also primarily (not 100%) a class A amp design like the Asgard 2. When paired with DAC and AMP that synergizes well with it, the treble is incredibly smooth while being crystal clear defined UNLESS the encoded song has harsh/digital sounding treble. Keep in mind that AKG headphones are transparent and like the Senn HD800, it will not smooth any harshness from the dac/amp and source file. Heck this headphone will easily expose the sound quality difference between DACs using the Asgard 2 as the amp. Therefore, you must have patience finding the right gears for this headphone if you are really considering it. A suggestion for you is to get the Schiit Bifrost Multibit (it must be turned on 24/7) and Asgard 2 and you'll ears will thank you for sure.

Thank you! I am sold on the AKG's. I will be ordering them soon along with said combo^ when i can afford them. Im excited for sure :D

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #4,257 of 6,345
 What if I took the money for the Vali 2 and Modi 2 and just got the Asgard 2 for now and plugged an ipod touch or classic straight into it?

Also, I know people say the o2 amp is bright for the 712s... But what about the ODAC? I like it over the modi because of how compact it is. Would be easy to carry between home and office.

Cannot comment about the ODAC, but I can't promise you if the iPod touch or classic will sound bright or warm because of the transparency of this headphone. However, with the Asgard 2, the sound can be bright but the highs or upper mids won't be harsh (about 80% certainty (20% is a subjective factor where some will say it's harsh due to being accustomed to dark sound (recessed treble) while some say it's lacking in highs/upper mids due to being accustomed to "studio monitor" sound like the Sony 7506 or the Senn HD280). To me, the highs is about as neutral as possible (not too bright like many headphone studio monitor) or dark like many cheap headphones). I do think that the bass will be less defined though compared to a dedicated DAC due to the internal amp of the touch or classic. To me, the Vali 2 and Modi 2 is well worth the money for the K712. IMO, you're getting at least 97% of the sound of Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2 combo for a fraction of the price. This is from my experience with the Meridian Explorer as a DAC and Amp and upgrading to the Bifrost Multibit/Asgard 2 where the only difference is subtle, like slightly clearer details (90% of the latter combo), more realistic cymbal sound (95% of the latter combo), slightly better instrument separation (90% of the latter combo). Also, I note that both Meridian Explorer (as the primary source) and the latter combo do not produce harsh highs or harsh upper mids at all, but the upgrade to the Bifrost Multibit/Asgard 2 made the instruments sound slightly closer to reality compared to Meridan Explorer (I don't exaggerate the difference in SQ since I am more objective rather than subjective).

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #4,258 of 6,345
I have my computer's Creative Titanium HD soundcard connected to the Little Bear P8 Tube headphone amp/pre with NOS matched Russian tubes via silver Ortofon RCA cable and the sound coming from my AKG is sublime, almost holographic.   Much better than my previous Schiit Vali amp.   In order to unlock the full potential of the AKG k712pro,  you have to use a tube amp, it truly does make a remarkable difference.

Um, I looked up that amp and it's an OTL tube amp which is not the kind of amp you really want to use with the K712 for optimal sound.

Do you mean you'd connect the Asgard 2 to an iPod's headphone jack? That's pretty much a recipe for less-than-stellar sound, you shouldn't connect a headphone amp to any device's headphone jack, that's only going to amp a signal that's already being amped to an extent, and "double-amping" degrades the signal quality. Also it makes no sense to buy a $250 amp to double-amp if all you want is more volume, you could buy any of the really cheap Chinese-made <$100 amps to do that which will have the same effect.

The Modi/Vali 2 combo would unquestionably sound better, especially into a headphone like the K712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back