The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #4,216 of 6,345
You could perhaps consider getting the amp first, and changing the DAC later once you know what kind of sound tweaks you want.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,217 of 6,345
 what dac would go well with the ember and k712s? 

I use Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Schiit Asgard 2 stack which makes the sound coming out as warm and bassy (bass can vary from deep bass to thundering thumping bass) due to both being warm amp and dac. While those combo make for a warm sound signature, it doesn't sacrifice details which the K712s are known for.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #4,219 of 6,345
You could consider the Phillips X2 as well... the HE-400i is a little light down low I'm told. The good thing about the Ember is tube swapping.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #4,220 of 6,345
This might have been asked before, but what is that second port on the side opposed to the one with the 3-pin xlr port ? Is it actually ready for a balanced cable ? Would really like to know!
I've also been wondering, do you guys find the mids forward with these or are they more like the K701 ? Thanks in advance !

P.s.: has anyone tried them with a liquid carbon? are tubes still the way to go?

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #4,221 of 6,345
  This might have been asked before, but what is that second port on the side opposed to the one with the 3-pin xlr port ? Is it actually ready for a balanced cable ? Would really like to know!
I've also been wondering, do you guys find the mids forward with these or are they more like the K701 ? Thanks in advance !

P.s.: has anyone tried them with a liquid carbon? are tubes still the way to go?

I can't answer your other questions, but my K712s play very well with my Liquid Carbon.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #4,222 of 6,345

I think the k712 is wired for single ended only (left, right, common ground).  I've been intending to hard-wire the headphones with a balanced cable, should be even more fabulous with that mod.  

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #4,223 of 6,345
Hi guys !

I'm a french newbie in Hi fi, but I plan to buy the AKG k712 with a schitt stack, it is a good headset for an hardcore gamer like rainbow six etc... ? And is the Schitt stack enough to drive correctly the akg ?

in Advance thanks !

A bientôt !

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #4,225 of 6,345
  Hi guys !

I'm a french newbie in Hi fi, but I plan to buy the AKG k712 with a schitt stack, it is a good headset for an hardcore gamer like rainbow six etc... ? And is the Schitt stack enough to drive correctly the akg ?

in Advance thanks !

A bientôt !

Hi Wyversnake,
I don't play games so that I have no idea. Schiit stack is a choice but not the best. Because DACs of Schiit are not so good, except the up-level of Bifrost.
K712 need low voltage and high electric current, so that you need to find out some amps designed for it, and this kinds of amp is very hard to find.

Good Luck!

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,226 of 6,345

Using a JDS Labs cmoybb 2x9v with my AKG K712s, just plugged into my phone (LG G3) or sometimes an ipod, and it sounds pretty awesome. I also have a fiio e07k, which I use sometimes as a DAC and amp with my phone, but to me the set up with the cmoy seems to sound better. Anyone else use a cmoybb 2x9v with their K712s?

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #4,227 of 6,345
  Hi guys !

in Advance thanks !

A bientôt !

Bonjour !

I'd consider Woo Fireflies.  It has many features that are headphone friendly . . . tube design, outboard power supply, chic élégant design - impress the ladies !   

Check reviews and users comments of course.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4,228 of 6,345
@Rico613 I bet they would ! I wish I knew how to recable anything though. Thanks a lot for the feedback !

@Wyversnake I think the Vali2 is a great value product, and also fit for K712s, a lot of people seem to be pleased with it, so I think you should definitely not exclude that off your list ! You can check out the vali2 thread for more info.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,229 of 6,345
Thanks for the fast answers guys !

I got few more questions, do I have to buy a soundcard ?
I'm a really big noob in Hifi :/ I'm like a baguette x)

I really hope to have a really good and simple setup with your help :)

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #4,230 of 6,345
  Thanks for the fast answers guys !

I got few more questions, do I have to buy a soundcard ?
I'm a really big noob in Hifi :/ I'm like a baguette x)

I really hope to have a really good and simple setup with your help :)

Source -->  DAC  ---> Amp ---> headphones 

Source digital output will be USB, TOLINK, or S/PDIF so you will need to match that to your DAC input and get the right cable.  

I don't think you need a special sound card since the DAC will do the digital conversion, but computer gaming isn't my thing.

A simple inexpensive home-theater receiver, (Onkyo), with headphone output would be another way to go.  (DAC and Amp in one box)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back