The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #4,201 of 6,349
  How are the mids on this headphone? I like headphones with more forward than neutral mids where the vocals are very clear, like with the Audio-Technica AD series or Sennheiser HD6XX for example. Basically, how does this headphone handle vocals?

I would have no hesitation recommending the K712 for vocals based on my testing from a while back.  String quartets would be similar to a small ensemble vocal.  I think the k712 would be great with big band vocals as well.  Maybe this will help ~  post #3968

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #4,202 of 6,349
  Not my case anyway. I wouldn't have fallen in love in K712 signature if not amped properly in the first place...

To tell a long story short. Here is the conclusion :

1. Skip chinese / honk-kong retailers
2. Skip 0009*** revision serials , just in case it's not a copycat, but an AKG factory cheating. 

After coming back from Hong Kong and reading your post, I'd like to share that I purchased the K712 from one of the local HK store for an equivalent of USD230. To my surprise, my revision is not too far from yours @ 009269  and although I've never auditioned the older Q701 models, I had the headphone played through an LG V10 and also a Hifimediy (Sabre ES9018K2M chip) + Cayin C5 Amp combo without any burn ins and the mid and sub-bass are there. Does your set comes with any 2 year warranty sticker by AKG on the wrapping itself because mine does.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4,203 of 6,349
Right now, while writing this post, I am enjoying my friend's older 0015** revision model. I had borrowed it for this weekend to find out the physical difference between the two. I had previously watched an youtube video about how to take parts down of an AKG model without harming the headphone, so I took the time to check both headphone internals. 

I am glad you are happy with your model, but than again, you have not compared it with a different AKG product. I did, and I also used in the past a pair of Q701’s. I never told that midbass and sub-bass of my K712 wasn’t there (0093** revision), I've been complaining, It wasn’t the same volume (db) lvl, compared to an older, 2014 year model, 0015** revision.

After an extensive A/B comparison, I would like to add further observations. Besides the different lvl in bass, the two exactly same headphones (K712) , sound difference in more areas, not bass lvls only. The newer K712’s also share a hump in the upper mids (1kh) region. This makes them brighter and kind of more fatigue headphones, in direct, A/B comparison between the two. So, not bass only, the mids are also different, mine are definitely brighter.

Final observation – the decay. It’s also different. The newer model has a much faster, almost non-existent decay. This makes it sound almost artificial in comparison, since in real world, music sounds different, it echoes from different objects, it reverbs, it does not disappear instantly. The decay I hear from the older K712s is different. It’s much faster then Sennheiser decay (HD650), but it’s definitely slower than in my newer model.

To put a summary , the newer K712s , 0093** revision, downgrade compared to the older models in the following aspects:

a) Bass general lvl is 3db lower, which sets the bass behind the midrange (behind the vocals), not the same layer as in older model.

b) Mids are brighter because of a distinct upper-mids hump (1khz-2khz). This cause fatigue .

c) The decay is almost non-existent, sounds disappear instantly.

Don’t get me wrong, the newer K712s are a good sounding headphone, but they don’t scale as good. Besides, Q701, K702, K701 were never considered a bad sounding headphone. The performance is right there at the lvl of mid-fi, 250$ headphones. The true K712’s , however, scale much, much better, they can do a comfortable competition for twice as much costing headphones, hell, they can sound better than a planar magnetic monster and even HD800s. Not mine (the newer one, 0093** revision)…

Ok. Now, let me share my physical difference observations.

I had made photos of the insides of my headphone. Please, take a careful look at my photo, and the one found in google for K712s. The drivers on my model have a distinct red line recess. It is present on both drivers. Not present in the older K712 model.  

Unfortunately, this was the only visual difference, between the two. I had also taken away the back side of the headphone and found the exactly same parts and wire configuration. I took the time to examine everything. Even the small red and white wires had the same label. This made me conclude, my Honk-Kong K712s are not fake. These are genuine, original K712 Pro. The only remaining option is blaming AKG themselves for cheating on the customers. They should had made a distinct model for studio needs, not change the original , more audiophile oriented tuning.

The newer K712 don’t sound bad, but audiophiles like you and me won’t get the ultimate headphone, you’ll get another nice pair of headphones, that has it’s flows and positives, but you’ll gonna sell it in the end, because you don’t want that analytical presentation, you want a more life-like reference

skingg, could you please make a picture or share the link of the exact warranty sticker, since I don't find anything like that.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #4,204 of 6,349
@AlexRoma Did you try switching the pads between to two to see if the sonic differences remain? I remember that there are slight variations in the pads throughout the Q/KXXX line, even if they all look identical. Also, roughly speaking, do you have to turn the volume louder on your newer version to get to an approx similar volume level as the older version?

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #4,205 of 6,349
Did you try switching the pads between to two to see if the sonic differences remain

Yep, I did this. And yes, the sonic difference remain. Nothing changed. The pads are identical. 

do you have to turn the volume louder on your newer version to get to an approx similar volume level as the older version

Nope. I just made some more A/B testing to make sure. No, volume lvl is the same on both, just the tonality is different. One is darker with some serious bass delivery, the other is dryer, with less bass and brighter mids.
By the way, on lower volume lvls, the tonal difference is even more striking . Same headphones, but quite different overall sound. Everything is a little different in the older version

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #4,206 of 6,349
If the differences are that noticeable, then that's interesting indeed. A few months ago, a friend of mine purchased a new K712 in the US with a serial # in the 6000s. In comparison with his K7XX (which would likely sound very similar to your friend's older K712 model; ie. 3dB low-end boost, etc), he found them to sound virtually identical. If what you got aren't counterfeit, then it's either you got a real one with issues or AKG has silently made some tuning changes to the K line again. If you can, I'd say get it replaced to see if you get something that sounds more "correct." Otherwise, don't know what else to say...

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #4,207 of 6,349

skingg, could you please make a picture or share the link of the exact warranty sticker, since I don't find anything like that.

Okay so I went to check the link provided and the warranty covered are not directly from AKG themselves but by a local company called the Tom Lee Music Service Department. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #4,208 of 6,349
  Right now, while writing this post, I am enjoying my friend's older 0015** revision model. I had borrowed it for this weekend to find out the physical difference between the two. I had previously watched an youtube video about how to take parts down of an AKG model without harming the headphone, so I took the time to check both headphone internals. 

I am glad you are happy with your model, but than again, you have not compared it with a different AKG product. I did, and I also used in the past a pair of Q701’s. I never told that midbass and sub-bass of my K712 wasn’t there (0093** revision), I've been complaining, It wasn’t the same volume (db) lvl, compared to an older, 2014 year model, 0015** revision.

After an extensive A/B comparison, I would like to add further observations. Besides the different lvl in bass, the two exactly same headphones (K712) , sound difference in more areas, not bass lvls only. The newer K712’s also share a hump in the upper mids (1kh) region. This makes them brighter and kind of more fatigue headphones, in direct, A/B comparison between the two. So, not bass only, the mids are also different, mine are definitely brighter.

Final observation – the decay. It’s also different. The newer model has a much faster, almost non-existent decay. This makes it sound almost artificial in comparison, since in real world, music sounds different, it echoes from different objects, it reverbs, it does not disappear instantly. The decay I hear from the older K712s is different. It’s much faster then Sennheiser decay (HD650), but it’s definitely slower than in my newer model.

To put a summary , the newer K712s , 0093** revision, downgrade compared to the older models in the following aspects:

a) Bass general lvl is 3db lower, which sets the bass behind the midrange (behind the vocals), not the same layer as in older model.
b) Mids are brighter because of a distinct upper-mids hump (1khz-2khz). This cause fatigue .
c) The decay is almost non-existent, sounds disappear instantly.

Don’t get me wrong, the newer K712s are a good sounding headphone, but they don’t scale as good. Besides, Q701, K702, K701 were never considered a bad sounding headphone. The performance is right there at the lvl of mid-fi, 250$ headphones. The true K712’s , however, scale much, much better, they can do a comfortable competition for twice as much costing headphones, hell, they can sound better than a planar magnetic monster and even HD800s. Not mine (the newer one, 0093** revision)…

Ok. Now, let me share my physical difference observations.

I had made photos of the insides of my headphone. Please, take a careful look at my photo, and the one found in google for K712s. The drivers on my model have a distinct red line recess. It is present on both drivers. Not present in the older K712 model.  

Unfortunately, this was the only visual difference, between the two. I had also taken away the back side of the headphone and found the exactly same parts and wire configuration. I took the time to examine everything. Even the small red and white wires had the same label. This made me conclude, my Honk-Kong K712s are not fake. These are genuine, original K712 Pro. The only remaining option is blaming AKG themselves for cheating on the customers. They should had made a distinct model for studio needs, not change the original , more audiophile oriented tuning.

The newer K712 don’t sound bad, but audiophiles like you and me won’t get the ultimate headphone, you’ll get another nice pair of headphones, that has it’s flows and positives, but you’ll gonna sell it in the end, because you don’t want that analytical presentation, you want a more life-like reference

Good thing that mine was the "Made in Austria" version. It doesn't have the red lines like on the picture, and I assure you that it does go way down to 20Hz and the bass sounds 3db higher than flat frequency. The decay is natural and not "fast" and the overall tone is dark.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #4,210 of 6,349
What gear are you running them out of? They can be pushed to a musical presentation with tubes pretty easily.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #4,212 of 6,349
Project Ember :) well that'll be nice!

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #4,213 of 6,349
 The k712s are great technically and I want to love them but they are just missing that "fun" factor, they are a little bit too analytical for my taste.

Your DAC and amp aren't getting good synergy IMO. The K712s are very fun when you hit the synergy with some amp and DAC combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back