The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #3,916 of 6,345
  Hey all, I have ordered these as my first pair of premium headphones, but I'm barely getting into the audiophile world. I hear quite often that these require a good amp and was wondering what are the best options for it. To get a good idea I'd prefer suggestions varying by performance (which usually ends up in price ranges). I had my eyes on the Element by JDS labs (not out yet) since it seemed to be a good option for future use should I decide to upgrade//buy another pair of headphones. But if you have a good idea, then be my guest.

ps: I have little interest in a price cap, but I don't plan on spending over 400$ on an amp for a 340$ pair of headphones. Don't think I'll go with "the best money can buy" type of thing.

edit: they will be used mostly on my computer, usb dac is a must :p

O2+DAC combo and Schiit combo are pretty good choice for K7XX series. Seems like they are the most recommended for these cans.
There's also Matrix M-stage and Audio GD being recommended for these cans as well though I have no experience with them so I can't say much.

On the related note did you guys burned in K712? If so, how long have you guys burned them in for?

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #3,918 of 6,345
I've actually seen most people recommend tube amps (Little Dot and Garage1217 products), only a couple suggest the O combo and some recommend against the Magni because it's a "hard" sounding amp that emphasizes some of the "bright" traits of the AKGs to be too much. Ember, M-Stage, E09k, and Audio-GD have all been enjoyed among my friends that have tried them. I liked the Schiit Vali more than a little, but long-term I'd hate the ringing.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #3,919 of 6,345
  40 hrs - 120 hrs.  I didn't clock it, but there was a noticeable improvement somewhere in that range.  You'll probably notice it when it happens. 

I see... When I first acquired K712 I was so skeptical of burning it as I even went further to ask one of the representatives from AKG. I remember him/her saying that the membrane material which is used in the current/newer AKG lines is more flexible than in the old days. Hence he/she said it's not necessary to burn K712.

Since then I've been using them straight out of the box. Though I'm kind of regretting it right now because I really wanted to know the differences it'd make.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #3,920 of 6,345

40 hrs - 120 hrs.  I didn't clock it, but there was a noticeable improvement somewhere in that range.  You'll probably notice it when it happens. 

I see... When I first acquired K712 I was so skeptical of burning it as I even went further to ask one of the representatives from AKG. I remember him/her saying that the membrane material which is used in the current/newer AKG lines is more flexible than in the old days. Hence he/she said it's not necessary to burn K712.

Since then I've been using them straight out of the box. Though I'm kind of regretting it right now because I really wanted to know the differences it'd make.

Company representatives tend to downplay burn-in; for marketing reasons I assume.   A dealer once told me that some rather sophisticated equipment required 600 hrs of burn-in.  The company representative said 200 hrs.  Someone at CableCo said it actually required more like 1,000 hrs.  I found improvements at at about 200, 400, 600, and 800 hrs. 

You will likely notice some improvement in SQ as you listen to your k712's.  It's part of the fun of this hobby.

biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3,921 of 6,345

Company representatives tend to downplay burn-in; for marketing reasons I assume.   A dealer once told me that some rather sophisticated equipment required 600 hrs of burn-in.  The company representative said 200 hrs.  Someone at CableCo said it actually required more like 1,000 hrs.  I found improvements at at about 200, 400, 600, and 800 hrs. 

You will likely notice some improvement in SQ as you listen to your k712's.  It's part of the fun of this hobby.

biggrin.gif

Ah I see that makes sense.
If I had a chance, I'd definitely try to burn at least 50 hours or so to see if there's any changes.

That being said this is off-topic but does it matter if you use lossy or lossless tracks for burn in?

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #3,923 of 6,345
Hey guys, pls help me decide and give me your opinion.
I'm waiting for Audio-GD NFB-11. It will be stock in 2 weeks or more but the shop already have magni/modi 2 uber combo are there any differences that I can notice especially treble/brightness. Should I go for magni/mode 2 uber or just wait for the NFB11.

PS. I have been listened to the NFB11 and I quite like it but I never heard the Schiit(s).

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #3,924 of 6,345
  Hey guys, pls help me decide and give me your opinion.
I'm waiting for Audio-GD NFB-11. It will be stock in 2 weeks or more but the shop already have magni/modi 2 uber combo are there any differences that I can notice especially treble/brightness. Should I go for magni/mode 2 uber or just wait for the NFB11.

PS. I have been listened to the NFB11 and I quite like it but I never heard the Schiit(s).

the 712's are fairly easy to drive so either choice should be fine. I can't comment on the magni but I had the modi/vali stack. I thought the vali was a little bright for my taste but still own the modi. very hard to beat at that price. the 712's have paired well with every amp I've heard them on.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,925 of 6,345

the 712's are fairly easy to drive so either choice should be fine. I can't comment on the magni but I had the modi/vali stack. I thought the vali was a little bright for my taste but still own the modi. very hard to beat at that price. the 712's have paired well with every amp I've heard them on.

The Schiits are more expansive than the audio gd about 100 usd in my place. So what do you think?

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #3,926 of 6,345
I felt that the Schiit Vali played to the K712's strengths. That or it hit my own sweet spot.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #3,927 of 6,345
go_quote.gif

What did you notice? More smooth trebles and deeper bass?

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,928 of 6,345

go_quote.gif

What did you notice? More smooth trebles and deeper bass?

More relaxed, clearer sound with more detail in the lower and bass frequencies than when it was new.  

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3,930 of 6,345
O2+DAC combo and Schiit combo are pretty good choice for K7XX series. Seems like they are the most recommended for these cans.
There's also Matrix M-stage and Audio GD being recommended for these cans as well though I have no experience with them so I can't say much.

On the related note did you guys burned in K712? If so, how long have you guys burned them in for?

Thx for the replies guys. I will be burning these a bit (matches and gas on hand :p ) amps on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back