The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,901 of 6,345
Hi guys, I'm finding dac/amp to pair with AKG k712 pro I made some list but you can suggest me with these prices range.

Geek Out 1000

meridian explorer

Audio-gd NFB-11

Fiio E9k or E12 
Schiit Vali
ALO
[COLOR=222222] NATIONAL+ BLACK[/COLOR]

which should I go for and how about the sound will look like each?
The ifi micro Ican pairs very well also. It is one of the most detailed amps. I've ever heard.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,902 of 6,345
Hi guys, I'm finding dac/amp to pair with AKG k712 pro I made some list but you can suggest me with these prices range.

Geek Out 1000

meridian explorer

Audio-gd NFB-11

Fiio E9k or E12 
Schiit Vali
ALO
[COLOR=222222] NATIONAL+ BLACK[/COLOR]

which should I go for and how about the sound will look like each?

I'm using mine with a Vali at the moment and its great. Its a tad on the warm side because of the tubes, but the soundstage and bass depth really open up compared to unamped, and the treble sparkle is even more delicious (if that's even possible).

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,903 of 6,345
  Must be my amp then as it definitely does vary depending on the tubes, but is never enough, its only my DAC that seems to be making the amp sound good enough for me, but I'm not getting enough listening pleasure out of my system regardless of headphone. I remember hearing my K712 on my friends system and the depth was awesome. Some reason on my system the K712 lacks in depth compared to the HD 600/650 and DT 150. I really need to get a new amp sometime. I've been rather disappointed with the Lyr 2 overall to be honest. It sounds good with about everything but its always been a little dull sounding, it is better than my previous amp the quite cheap Hifiman EF2A for sure, but the EF2A was a lot funner to listen to. I'm not sure if I want to get something like the WA6(as I found it a good pairing with the K712 and my other phones) or something else, but I'm considering a better amp as my next purchase. 

More power helps, but then there is also the amps quality and sound character to factor in. I think I'm done with Schiit gear, everything I've heard of theirs is a bit dull and lacking life.

I've had a couple of Schiit amps, the Asgard 1 and Magni 1. Thought the Magni was great for the money and gave a very honest reproduction, maybe a little hard sounding but good for warm hp's. 
The Asgard was more refined and sweeter sounding but a little too brightly lit at the top with some hp's. I couldn't listen the K702's very long with that one. 

I think the Schiit line up offer great value for money but they are not what I would recommend as 1st choices, as I think there are better amps for the same or a little more money. I would recommend the M-stage over both of them and any of the Audio gd midrange (they do opamp design very well) with the Kxxx

If you do like a warmer powerful/dynamic sound sig you could do a lot worse than dipping your feet in the world of vintage amps. The AKG's play very well with the high impedance and power of the 70's designs. Pioneer, Sansui receivers/amps from the mid to late 70's and NAD amps from the early 80's are worth looking at. Although the prices are increasing now you can snap up some bargains if you put the work in. 

Heres a few pics from some of my collection.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3,904 of 6,345
I would recommend the M-stage over both of them and any of the Audio gd midrange (they do opamp design very well)...

A-GD amps are all fully discrete, no opamps, just to be clear. In fact, the NFB-15 is a highly regarded pairing with the Q701, and the slightly more detailed NFB-11 is great with the less analytical K712. The NFB-11 would be my choice if I could afford it.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,905 of 6,345
  I've had a couple of Schiit amps, the Asgard 1 and Magni 1. Thought the Magni was great for the money and gave a very honest reproduction, maybe a little hard sounding but good for warm hp's. 
The Asgard was more refined and sweeter sounding but a little too brightly lit at the top with some hp's. I couldn't listen the K702's very long with that one. 

I think the Schiit line up offer great value for money but they are not what I would recommend as 1st choices, as I think there are better amps for the same or a little more money. I would recommend the M-stage over both of them and any of the Audio gd midrange (they do opamp design very well) with the Kxxx

If you do like a warmer powerful/dynamic sound sig you could do a lot worse than dipping your feet in the world of vintage amps. The AKG's play very well with the high impedance and power of the 70's designs. Pioneer, Sansui receivers/amps from the mid to late 70's and NAD amps from the early 80's are worth looking at. Although the prices are increasing now you can snap up some bargains if you put the work in. 

Heres a few pics from some of my collection.

I don't have trouble with the treble or brightness on the Lyr 2, especially after tube rolling, it's a rather thick and full sounding amp with a solid sound, problem is that it lacks the dimension of the sound I've heard on many other amps, and while the dynamics are quite good they fail to properly engage me. It doesn't have that magic I've heard on other amps. I feel the same, pretty good for their money but they have drawbacks that really leave me unengaged and somewhat bored with them and ultimately they aren't what I'm looking for.  I'll keep those amps in mind. 

I have thought of grabbing some vintage amps. I have a few amps in mind currently. A couple I know for sure will pair well with what I have.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #3,906 of 6,345
A-GD amps are all fully discrete, no opamps, just to be clear. In fact, the NFB-15 is a highly regarded pairing with the Q701, and the slightly more detailed NFB-11 is great with the less analytical K712. The NFB-11 would be my choice if I could afford it.
He was stating the m-stage is op-amp. Very good amplifier.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3,907 of 6,345
He was stating the m-stage is op-amp. Very good amplifier.

Just checking. The wording was a little ambiguous.
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #3,908 of 6,345
Yes sorry my bad, the M-stage is a great opamp design :) the opa627 bias mod lifts it even further and is very easy to do. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #3,910 of 6,345
If there are any PCI-E Soundcard can power AKG k712 pro?

and I'm waiting for an amp it will come next month so, can I just use it with laptop? Can it be like... poorer sound than use with an amp?
sorry for my bad english

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,911 of 6,345
Hey all, I have ordered these as my first pair of premium headphones, but I'm barely getting into the audiophile world. I hear quite often that these require a good amp and was wondering what are the best options for it. To get a good idea I'd prefer suggestions varying by performance (which usually ends up in price ranges). I had my eyes on the Element by JDS labs (not out yet) since it seemed to be a good option for future use should I decide to upgrade//buy another pair of headphones. But if you have a good idea, then be my guest.

ps: I have little interest in a price cap, but I don't plan on spending over 400$ on an amp for a 340$ pair of headphones. Don't think I'll go with "the best money can buy" type of thing.

edit: they will be used mostly on my computer, usb dac is a must :p

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #3,912 of 6,345
Hey all, I have ordered these as my first pair of premium headphones, but I'm barely getting into the audiophile world. I hear quite often that these require a good amp and was wondering what are the best options for it. To get a good idea I'd prefer suggestions varying by performance (which usually ends up in price ranges). I had my eyes on the Element by JDS labs (not out yet) since it seemed to be a good option for future use should I decide to upgrade//buy another pair of headphones. But if you have a good idea, then be my guest.

ps: I have little interest in a price cap, but I don't plan on spending over 400$ on an amp for a 340$ pair of headphones. Don't think I'll go with "the best money can buy" type of thing.

Another good choice is the ifi micro ican. Very musical and pairs very well with the 712's. Run you about $285.00 from music direct. The 712's are also fantastic on live recordings. You'll enjoy these phones.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,913 of 6,345

Some popular valued orientated gear for getting your foot through the door.  

Schiit Audio Magni 2 / Modi 2
JDS O2 + ODAC (Combo or standalone) 

You could wait for the Elements too.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3,914 of 6,345

This discussion came up recently on the LCD-3 thread, post #10495.  Most suggestions were a little above your price point but lots of possibilities.

I was always impressed with the FiiO E9, for the price . . . 

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,915 of 6,345
So has anyone practically sampled both the Austrian and Slovakian made models to see if there are any differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back