The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,731 of 6,349
I've been browsing this thread and I too have recently picked up a pair of the K712s. I've have been considering a new amp and I see that people claim that these are somewhat finicky to drive. I currently own an Aune T1 and a JDS Labs O2+ODAC combo.

I don't have a lot of time on these yet, but both of these work fairly well. Having said that, I'm still planning on an upgrade (I use the word upgrade loosely here). I was looking at Schiit A2/Lyr or maybe an Audio-GD. Maybe a Project Ember. I, and unfortunately my wallet, is on the loosing side here, like to experiment.

Just curious to see how you've achieved some sense of synergy. At least through your ears.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,732 of 6,349
If you are not receiving "synergy" then either the sound signature is not your thing or your reference material is not geared towards the K712 Pro.

Here are a few tracks that I really enjoy with mine.  Give them a listen.  The K712 Pro really does not do well with heavy rock, but just about everything else sounds great as long as it is recorded well.

List:

Armik:  Casa de Amor, Flames
Marcus Miller:  Renaissance, Detroit
Peter Murphy:  Love Hysteria, Time Has Got Nothing To Do With I
T.H.White:  The Private Spotlight, Separations
The Doors:  Essential Rarities, Queen Of The Highway

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,733 of 6,349
I've been browsing this thread and I too have recently picked up a pair of the K712s. I've have been considering a new amp and I see that people claim that these are somewhat finicky to drive. I currently own an Aune T1 and a JDS Labs O2+ODAC combo.

I don't have a lot of time on these yet, but both of these work fairly well. Having said that, I'm still planning on an upgrade (I use the word upgrade loosely here). I was looking at Schiit A2/Lyr or maybe an Audio-GD. Maybe a Project Ember. I, and unfortunately my wallet, is on the loosing side here, like to experiment.

Just curious to see how you've achieved some sense of synergy. At least through your ears.

The O2 should be more than adequate for anything except maybe electrostatics. If you're interested in tube distortion, there are numerous plugins and programs that can simulate it for a much smaller time and money investment.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #2,734 of 6,349

Not a fan of the O2 with this particular can. Both the A2 and Lyr are very nice, though. I prefer the Lyr with this particular signature. No experience with anything Audio-GD.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #2,735 of 6,349

A quick question for anyone who knows: what size is the K712 driver? 45mm like K702 or something larger?

I'm sure it's been commented on, but it's easy to get lost in this thread. Thanks much.

Same size as all the drivers have been since the K701. 45mm.

Same size as all the drivers have been since the K701. 45mm.

Do we know if it's a new driver or a retuned version of the old one?

Also - maybe these items were in the thread earlier and I missed it, but -

1. A better question might be is the reflex circle tape on these drivers or removed?

2. The ear pads are no longer asymmetric.  Were they that way on the Annie?  They're not on the Q's or the original K701's.

IMHO, those two things can have as much effect as a driver change. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2,736 of 6,349

1. A better question might be is the reflex circle tape on these drivers or removed?

2. The ear pads are no longer asymmetric.  Were they that way on the Annie?  They're not on the Q's or the original K701's.

The tape is still there.

The pads are flat and made of memory foam but people have swapped them with pads on the K712 and Q701 and they say the two headphones sound a bit different. The annies have flat memory foam pads as well but not quite as deep as the K712 pads.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2,737 of 6,349

The tape is still there.

The pads are flat and made of memory foam but people have swapped them with pads on the K712 and Q701 and they say the two headphones sound a bit different. The annies have flat memory foam pads as well but not quite as deep as the K712 pads.

Hmm ... I can state with some certainty that the original K701's sound mighty different if you get the pads mis-oriented.

I haven't heard the Annies.  Do they sound the same as the K712?  My impression was that it was more or less the same headphone - just that the K712 was the "permanent production" version.  If so, then it's the pads.  If not, then maybe they did re-tune the drivers.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2,738 of 6,349

Hmm ... I can state with some certainty that the original K701's sound mighty different if you get the pads mis-oriented.

I haven't heard the Annies.  Do they sound the same as the K712?  My impression was that it was more or less the same headphone - just that the K712 was the "permanent production" version.  If so, then it's the pads.  If not, then maybe they did re-tune the drivers.

No the Annies and K712 sound different. They are similar but not the same. The Annies are basically Q701s or newer K702s with better matched drivers, different looks and flat memory foam pads. The K712s are Annies with a different color scheme, slightly different pads, and differently tuned drivers.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2,739 of 6,349

No the Annies and K712 sound different. They are similar but not the same. The Annies are basically Q701s or newer K702s with better matched drivers, different looks and flat memory foam pads. The K712s are Annies with a different color scheme, slightly different pads, and differently tuned drivers.

OK - thanks!

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,741 of 6,349
Sorry, not in this house. The Anniversaries are most definitely NOT the 712 in sound. The 712 is on a whole different level of SQ. The Anniversaries are akin in SQ to the Q models.
The only AKG I don't own yet is the 812.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,742 of 6,349
Sorry, not in this house. The Anniversaries are most definitely NOT the 712 in sound. The 712 is on a whole different level of SQ. The Anniversaries are akin in SQ to the Q models.

I know they sound different and I did say that, I know the drivers are different. What I get the feeling the Annies were more of an earlier stage of development of the K712. So you own the K601, K612, K1000, K240, K340, K501, etc?

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #2,743 of 6,349

Not my experience at all. I've had both side by side and they were so extremely similar that I returned the K712 and kept the K702.65. If there is a difference, and it's dubious there is, it's insignificant at best.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #2,744 of 6,349
Let's not forget that the Annie and K/Q70x don't sound the same UNTIL you add the Annie pads to the latters. The flat memory foams add a significant amount of warmth and fullness to the sound that the Q/K lacks in comparison.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,745 of 6,349
  If you are not receiving "synergy" then either the sound signature is not your thing or your reference material is not geared towards the K712 Pro.

Here are a few tracks that I really enjoy with mine.  Give them a listen.  The K712 Pro really does not do well with heavy rock, but just about everything else sounds great as long as it is recorded well.

List:

Armik:  Casa de Amor, Flames
Marcus Miller:  Renaissance, Detroit
Peter Murphy:  Love Hysteria, Time Has Got Nothing To Do With I
T.H.White:  The Private Spotlight, Separations
The Doors:  Essential Rarities, Queen Of The Highway

Thanks for the reply. It's not that I feel I'm missing a certain synergy (just trying to better define and understand it), but I suppose I'm more curious to what everyone's preferred setup is.

My current amp/source inventory was purchased largely because I got good deals on the Aune T1 and the O2 combo. Plus I could roll tubes on the T1. Cheap fun that works with a wide variety of headphones. Now it may work, but that doesn't translate into a good pair with, again, synergy. I don't think I'm a big fan of the O2 and K712. The T1 seems to be a little better, but the amp on the T1 isn't all that great.

Currently, I brought the O2 and K172s to work and I'm using Google Music. Some of the music I've uploaded is a  variety of mp3s and some FLAC. I'll try to find those tracks and see what I think. I'll listen here, then bring the cans home and try those again with the T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back