The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #2,746 of 6,349
I've bought the K712 almost 2 months ago (with magni/modi). Since then the price of the annie dropped to the same price I've purchased the K712 for so I decided to trade them in for the annie. I disliked the treble spike at 7khz (for the rest they're pretty amazing), I'm hoping the annie is more like the signature of the K/Q701/2 who don't have such a big spike at 7khz. Will post my thoughts about the/any difference between them once I receive them.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,747 of 6,349
Let's not forget that the Annie and K/Q70x don't sound the same UNTIL you add the Annie pads to the latters. The flat memory foams add a significant amount of warmth and fullness to the sound that the Q/K lacks in comparison.

Exactly this. ^^^

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #2,748 of 6,349
Let's not forget that the Annie and K/Q70x don't sound the same UNTIL you add the Annie pads to the latters. The flat memory foams add a significant amount of warmth and fullness to the sound that the Q/K lacks in comparison.

This appears to be the consensus reality. :wink:

I don't think they're the same drivers, because they seem to handle sub-bass tones better than the delicate k701's. Also, the graph on InnerFidelity shows lower bass distortion.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,749 of 6,349
  I've been browsing this thread and I too have recently picked up a pair of the K712s. I've have been considering a new amp and I see that people claim that these are somewhat finicky to drive. I currently own an Aune T1 and a JDS Labs O2+ODAC combo.

I don't have a lot of time on these yet, but both of these work fairly well. Having said that, I'm still planning on an upgrade (I use the word upgrade loosely here). I was looking at Schiit A2/Lyr or maybe an Audio-GD. Maybe a Project Ember. I, and unfortunately my wallet, is on the loosing side here, like to experiment.

Just curious to see how you've achieved some sense of synergy. At least through your ears.

I think the K712's are terrific, but they've only shown that with AC powered amplifiers.
None of my (six) portables (including the O2) has made them 'sing' as they can.

The O2 should be more than adequate for anything except maybe electrostatics. If you're interested in tube distortion, there are numerous plugins and programs that can simulate it for a much smaller time and money investment.

I agree - it should, but sometimes it just isn't.  Not sure why.

Not a fan of the O2 with this particular can. Both the A2 and Lyr are very nice, though. I prefer the Lyr with this particular signature. No experience with anything Audio-GD.

Agreed.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #2,751 of 6,349
Does anyone have a solution to the earcup creak on the K712? I tried creating a buffer between the joint with electrical tape, but it didn't work. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, so I don't have a lot of resources available right now. Any ideas?

It's to the point now that I have to stay completely still when using these things or it sounds like I have a pair of crickets on my head. It's very frustrating. Anyone posting frequency response graphs for the headphones needs to include the huge hump at 7khz caused by the constant creaking!

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,752 of 6,349
Does anyone have a solution to the earcup creak on the K712? I tried creating a buffer between the joint with electrical tape, but it didn't work. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, so I don't have a lot of resources available right now. Any ideas?

It's to the point now that I have to stay completely still when using these things or it sounds like I have a pair of crickets on my head. It's very frustrating. Anyone posting frequency response graphs for the headphones needs to include the huge hump at 7khz caused by the constant creaking!

You might try some lithium grease.  It's safe for plastics and might silence things a bit.  They sometimes use it on M4's, so maybe you can find some in Afghanistan.  Try it out on some test plastic first, though, to make certain it's pure.

PTFE (teflon) lube is an even better choice and I've read of people using that on weaponry, too.  There are approved lubricants for military issue.  If you can find some and it turns out to be lithium or PTFE, that would do the trick.

Just be careful, though, because a petroleum-based lubricant will dissolve the plastic, eventually.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,754 of 6,349
Question for you 712-ers out there. 

Was it ever confirmed that some late K702 anniversary sounded like the K712? 

Nope... The debates goes on >.< some say they are same while some say they are different but similar in signature. Some say the K712 are better.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,755 of 6,349
The point is, you should trust your own perceptions! After all, you are the one listening to the music not the measurement or any sort of graph that theoretically tells you how good are they!

In fact, there are some headphone which don't measure well but sound excellent! The K712 for example. I was thinking of harshness in it but until now, I don't see anyone complaining about it. Objectively, you want to make sure everything perfectly neutral however, subjectively, we want something different, some wish to be bassy, midrange focused etc etc

How do the K712's not measure well?  They have a bit of a dip around 1Khz, but other than that they look pretty good compared to most headphones.  If anything, they could use more of a high frequency boost to sound "neutral," according to the diffuse-field equalization chart.  My UE600vi's are ruler flat from 10hz-1khz, and they sound great, albeit a more "relaxed" sound like one would expect from Sennheiser.  

I completely understand people wanting a different sound.  I just think swapping amps is a silly way to go about it.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #2,757 of 6,349

Nope... The debates goes on >.< some say they are same while some say they are different but similar in signature. Some say the K712 are better.

Hrm, darn. 

I'm borrowing a pair of K702 anniversary, so now I have 2 pairs on hand for about a week. Mine is early production, the borrowed one is very late. Notably different sounds on them.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2,758 of 6,349

Hrm, darn. 

I'm borrowing a pair of K702 anniversary, so now I have 2 pairs on hand for about a week. Mine is early production, the borrowed one is very late. Notably different sounds on them.

Used Pads , VS brand new pads ?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,760 of 6,349

I have a late serial number 28xx K702.65 and it sounds exactly like the K712 I returned back in early January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back