The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #5,056 of 6,349
No problem, thanks for the feedback. I will toss up a comparison between my HE400i and K712 Pro in a few days. As it stands though, I find I have no use for my DT880 anymore. It just can't compare to the higher level of fidelity the K712 offers.

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #5,057 of 6,349
I must have at least 60 hours on this headphone now. I think that this is the best headphone that is available at the 300 or so US price point. I highly recommend it to anyone. The comfort and sound quality are the best I have encountered for under 500, no question.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #5,058 of 6,349
There is a seller on ebay named dwi-international-8. They have the K712 Pro for only 229 US. They are located in Hong Kong. Has anyone bought from this seller, and can confirm these to be genuine ? That is a shockingly low price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AKG-K712-PRO...852400?hash=item1ea7e577f0:g:QqEAAOSw5L9XEETP

If anyone here can confirm that these are authentic, I am going to get a pair today. This price is too good to pass up.

What about this seller ? Can anyone confirm if this one is authentic ? Their price is 249.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-AKG-K712...322325?hash=item1ea1212315:g:alQAAOSw7ChZewcU

I bought a pair from them. From driver comparison and through AKG, mine was proven to be authentic by AKG.
However; if you go back to page 280 and 281, there are posts made by AlexRoma, subjecting possible sound driver downgrade on later revisions.
He first suspected possible Hong Kong defects, but later on move towards the fact that they are authentic, due to HK one sharing exact same build and all compared to other models, such as K701 or Q series. However, compared to earlier Slovakian K712, they sounded different, which I have no idea, but he claims it different. His final conclusion was that AKG was cheating on their customer.

But yeah. I sent AKG bunch of pictures and the way the item was packaged. AKG proved they were authentic. So I kept the copy of that letter, in case I need to use warranty for these items.

By the way, have you checked your drivers? You can remove the earpads by holding it and turn it counter clock wise, which reveals driver.

Do you think you can check if there is a reddish line on your white part of the driver? Because I have one like that. was wondering if I am alone.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #5,059 of 6,349
Sure, I will take a look for you when I get home later today. A friend of mine owns an Austrian K712 Pro. It was bought a few years ago. I might just go over to his place and compare mine to his. Quite frankly, I think this obsession regarding where it is made is out of hand. I highly doubt mine will sound any different than his. Other than a slight driver variance, I expect they will sound the same.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #5,060 of 6,349
Sure, I will take a look for you when I get home later today. A friend of mine owns an Austrian K712 Pro. It was bought a few years ago. I might just go over to his place and compare mine to his. Quite frankly, I think this obsession regarding where it is made is out of hand. I highly doubt mine will sound any different than his. Other than a slight driver variance, I expect they will sound the same.

Might wanna read up page 280 and 281 before you go.

And I think this is not about where it is manufactured. I think this is more about do we get the product that we were promised. According to AlexRoma, items we have are authentic, but AKG downgraded them over revision. So might wanna read those posts up first, then compare it, and see if you can actually tell difference.

I would like to do it myself, but I do not have any other people around me to compare K712 pro. Thank you in advanced.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #5,061 of 6,349
Alright, I removed the pads to check the drivers. I looked at the pictures on page 281 of this thread as well. There is definitely no red line on the white areas of either driver on my pair. I should mention though that I did not end up buying from dwi-international-8 on EBAY. I just had a bad vibe about it, and decided to buy elsewhere.

Edit: In case anyone wants a serial number to verify anything, mine is between 30,000 and 31,000.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #5,062 of 6,349
Alright, I removed the pads to check the drivers. I looked at the pictures on page 281 of this thread as well. There is definitely no red line on the white areas of either driver on my pair. I should mention though that I did not end up buying from dwi-international-8 on EBAY. I just had a bad vibe about it, and decided to buy elsewhere.

Edit: In case anyone wants a serial number to verify anything, mine is between 30,000 and 31,000.

Sorry for late reply.
So yeah. Where did you buy the pair?
My serial number is actually near 31000. Here are imgur links to my drivers.

http://imgur.com/a/xw8Fv

So were you able to A/B test K712 headphones by any chance?

By the way, is there a reason for not revealing actual serial numbers? I see many people giving approximate numbers, rather than exact ones.

And what is grey market stock?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #5,063 of 6,349
As far as I know, there's no information about the 'red lined' baffles meaning something to the sound signature of these headphones.
My K712 has the red lined baffles while my K702 doesn't.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #5,065 of 6,349
Sorry for late reply.
So yeah. Where did you buy the pair?
My serial number is actually near 31000. Here are imgur links to my drivers.

http://imgur.com/a/xw8Fv

So were you able to A/B test K712 headphones by any chance?

By the way, is there a reason for not revealing actual serial numbers? I see many people giving approximate numbers, rather than exact ones.

And what is grey market stock?

I ended up buying my pair from the USA. I asked if they would ship to Canada, and they agreed. Mine is a Slovakian pair, but it does not have the red lines. I have not had the opportunity to test my K712 against my friend's Austrian pair yet. When I do, I will definitely post the results.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #5,066 of 6,349
No problem, thanks for the feedback. I will toss up a comparison between my HE400i and K712 Pro in a few days. As it stands though, I find I have no use for my DT880 anymore. It just can't compare to the higher level of fidelity the K712 offers.

Interested in your 400i vs 712 impressions

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #5,067 of 6,349
Interested in your 400i vs 712 impressions

I will give both headphones a critical listen tomorrow, and will put up a comparison here. Just be aware that my HE400i has the HM5 pads on them, and I have also put an EQ set on it as well. This will actually be a very interesting comparison, because I ended up doing several hours of critical listening to get the following EQ sets on these headphones. These are the EQ sets.

HE400i with HM5 pads:

200Hz: - 0.5
250Hz: - 0.5
400Hz: - 1.0
500Hz: - 3.5
800Hz: - 1.0
1kHz: - 1.5
12kHz: + 0.5
16kHz: + 1

K712 Pro:

160Hz: - 1
200Hz - 1
250Hz - 1
315Hz - 1
2kHz: - 1
3.15kHz: + 2
4kHz: + 1
8.5kHz: + 0.5
10kHz: + 0.5
12.5kHz: - 0.5
16kHz: + 0.5

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #5,068 of 6,349

Honestly I doubt there is really any difference between the Austiran and Slovakian models. It's more of a problem between Austrian and Chinese models of the other K7 series(such as the K702, Q701, etc.)and the K612, it's rather stark how much cheaper the materials feel on the Chinese ones. The chinese ones did actually weigh a bit less and had a weaker clamp at least on the ones I tried, but they suffered in terms of build materials and didn't sound as good. I spent some time directly comparing Austrian and Chinese models of various AKG models, every single chinese one felt notably cheaper made, sound varied, but they were never really quite as good. The closest I saw sound wise was probably the Austrian K240 Studio(kinda rare, only made for like one year) and the chinese one, sound was nearly identical but build was notably flimsier and cheaper on the chinese one. The worst difference would have to be the K702 and K612, the Chinese ones absolutely sucked directly compared to the Austrian ones, especially in terms of refinement and bass reproduction and build quality differences were massive. The K7XX vs the K702 65th Anniversary/K712 wasn't as bad as the other K7 experiences but still lesser in terms of build materials and sound fidelity.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #5,069 of 6,349
Honestly I doubt there is really any difference between the Austiran and Slovakian models. It's more of a problem between Austrian and Chinese models of the other K7 series(such as the K702, Q701, etc.)and the K612, it's rather stark how much cheaper the materials feel on the Chinese ones. The chinese ones did actually weigh a bit less and had a weaker clamp at least on the ones I tried, but they suffered in terms of build materials and didn't sound as good. I spent some time directly comparing Austrian and Chinese models of various AKG models, every single chinese one felt notably cheaper made, sound varied, but they were never really quite as good. The closest I saw sound wise was probably the Austrian K240 Studio(kinda rare, only made for like one year) and the chinese one, sound was nearly identical but build was notably flimsier and cheaper on the chinese one. The worst difference would have to be the K702 and K612, the Chinese ones absolutely sucked directly compared to the Austrian ones, especially in terms of refinement and bass reproduction and build quality differences were massive. The K7XX vs the K702 65th Anniversary/K712 wasn't as bad as the other K7 experiences but still lesser in terms of build materials and sound fidelity. Some of these I owned at the same time.

I honestly don't believe their will be a difference either. I have just been asked a couple times to test because a friend of mine has the Austrian version that he bought a few years ago. I am expecting it to sound the same as mine. Kman1211, how have you been ? I am sure you remember our discussions about the K612 Pro a few years ago. I ended up selling it quite a long time ago. That 2kHz grain on it gave me headaches, literally.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #5,070 of 6,349
I honestly don't believe their will be a difference either. I have just been asked a couple times to test because a friend of mine has the Austrian version that he bought a few years ago. I am expecting it to sound the same as mine. Kman1211, how have you been ? I am sure you remember our discussions about the K612 Pro a few years ago. I ended up selling it quite a long time ago. That 2kHz grain on it gave me headaches, literally.

The suppliers are probably the same even on them. What I feel is the material suppliers are different on the Chinese ones which is why it suffers, though it could be early iterations of the Chinese ones sucked and more recent ones aren't so bad. Haven't heard or felt a recent Chinese one so can't say. The K7XX I heard was the first edition. Ah makes sense, I gave my brother the K612, it has a slight 2khz issue still but it has really died down with use, maybe pad wear, age, etc. I've been good, honestly went to the new Tesla 2.0 Beyers and a vintage Beyer and have been very happy. Currently settled on the Amiron Home and a modded vintage DT 480 as my main headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back