The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #5,071 of 6,349
I have always wanted to hear the Amiron. I won't go off the thread topic too long, but by chance, have you heard the DT1990 ? I sold the K612 Pro a couple years ago. It was lacking detail in the upper treble, and the 2kHz grain on it gave me headaches over and over again. Every single time I used the headphone for a few hours, I would get headaches. The K712 Pro is a much better headphone. Of the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm, HE400i, and K712 Pro that I currently own, it is definitely my favorite of the three.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #5,072 of 6,349
The suppliers are probably the same even on them. What I feel is the material suppliers are different on the Chinese ones which is why it suffers, though it could be early iterations of the Chinese ones sucked and more recent ones aren't so bad. Haven't heard or felt a recent Chinese one so can't say. The K7XX I heard was the first edition. Ah makes sense, I gave my brother the K612, it has a slight 2khz issue still but it has really died down with use, maybe pad wear, age, etc. I've been good, honestly went to the new Tesla 2.0 Beyers and a vintage Beyer and have been very happy. Currently settled on the Amiron Home and a modded vintage DT 480 as my main headphones.

I have always wanted to hear the Amiron. I won't go off the thread topic too long, but by chance, have you heard the DT1990 ? I sold the K612 Pro a couple years ago. It was lacking detail in the upper treble, and the 2kHz grain on it gave me headaches over and over again. Every single time I used the headphone for a few hours, I would get headaches. The K712 Pro is a much better headphone. Of the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm, HE400i, and K712 Pro that I currently own, it is definitely my favorite of the three.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #5,073 of 6,349

The Amiron is a nice headphone. I owned both the Amiron and DT 1990 at the same time and did a review on both, I have ended up preferring the Amiron long term and I did let go of the DT 1990 but only because I had to, not because I wanted to. Both the Beyers are better than the K712 imho, but honestly they should be given their price difference. Tesla Beyers sound quite different than the DT Beyers such as the DT 880. Then the DT 48/480 are a completely different animal. I honestly liked the K712 more than the DT 880 and HE-400i myself. The K712 does have some upper mid forwardness like most modern AKGs but it wasn't grating to my ears, the Q701 was too much for example.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro...-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home.838972/

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #5,074 of 6,349
The Amiron is a nice headphone. I owned both the Amiron and DT 1990 at the same time and did a review on both, I have ended up preferring the Amiron long term and I did let go of the DT 1990 but only because I had to, not because I wanted to. Both the Beyers are better than the K712 imho, but honestly they should be given their price difference. Tesla Beyers sound quite different than the DT Beyers such as the DT 880. Then the DT 48/480 are a completely different animal. I honestly liked the K712 more than the DT 880 and HE-400i myself. The K712 does have some upper mid forwardness like most modern AKGs but it wasn't grating to my ears, the Q701 was too much for example.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro...-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home.838972/

I wrote a couple pages back, that once I got the K712 Pro, I just have no use for the DT880 anymore. The K712 is just a flat out better sounding headphone. I agree regarding the 2kHz region on the K712 as well. It is somewhat elevated, but it is much smoother than it was on the K612. It also does not have any of that fatiguing quality to it. The headphone I was planning on getting eventually is the DT1990. This will be quite a long time from now though. I am rather impressed with the K712, and I just can't afford anything else now. After what must be about 60 hours use, it appears to be completely burned in. I noticed the biggest sound improvement between 25-35 hours of use. Since then, it has sounded the same.

I will definitely check out that comparison on the Amiron and DT1990.

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #5,075 of 6,349
I ended up buying my pair from the USA. I asked if they would ship to Canada, and they agreed. Mine is a Slovakian pair, but it does not have the red lines. I have not had the opportunity to test my K712 against my friend's Austrian pair yet. When I do, I will definitely post the results.
May I ask which seller you bought it from? I am thinking about just buying new one from Amazon right now actually. Amazon UK new pair is actually at 260 USD. ... But then.. is Amazon also trustworthy for headphones..?

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #5,079 of 6,349
Hey, I did not forget about putting up the comparison. I will have it up in the next day or two.

No rush man, i still need to catch up on thread anyways.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #5,081 of 6,349
Hi, i'm back. I had my akg k712 for two years now. Using it with the Sound blaster z. And i need some help.

Is any1 else using it with the sbz ?

What settings are you using? surround ? Crystalizer? eq? etc.

If i'm not using SBX pro studio settings , and disables 5.1 in windows and set it to stereo it sounds so weird. If i play Csgo for example the sound really cuts into my ear.

Your settings would help alot. And also if you have a screen of your EQ. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #5,083 of 6,349
To Swordchan:

I run my K712 Pro with a Creative ZXR as my DAC, and my amp is an M-Stage HPA-2. My sound card has all opamps upgraded to the LME49710HA metal can opamps, and the M-Stage has been upgraded to the LME49990. I disable surround, sbx pro studio, crystalizer, and all other options in the driver. When using headphones, I just connect the M-Stage to the RCA outs on the card, and have the creative drivers set to 2 channel stereo. I am running Equalizer APO with the PEACE add on, and I use the following EQ set.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: + 0.5
160Hz: - 0.5
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1.25kHz: + 0.5
2kHz: - 1
3.15kHz: + 2
4kHz: + 1
6.3kHz: - 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5
10kHz: + 0.5
12.5kHz: - 0.5
16kHz: + 0.5

I would suggest learning how to use Equalizer APO with PEACE, and trying this EQ. I think you will like it. I will give you a quick instructions guide to get things going. First, run and install the Equalizer APO. When you install, right click on it first, and run as "Administrator". After installing, run the "Configurator" file, and select the sound source you want to EQ, and reboot. After rebooting, you copy the Peter's Peace GUI file into the config folder for APO Equalizer in and run it from there. Right click on the PEACE file, and run as "Administrator". Go in and set up your EQ settings. After you have selected your EQ adjustments you want, you click on the "Save" button to save your selection to the folder. You now just minimize Peter's Peace GUI. Boom, you now have an easy to use GUI for APO. You can add bands, remove bands, and change the band values quite easily. You can download Equalizer APO and PEACE at the links.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Edit: Since you are using just a lower end Z card, I would expect your EQ set will be drastically different. However, I have at least given you a starting point. You may want to start looking at other options to drive your headphones in the future.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #5,084 of 6,349
Just random question. Can anyone give me advice on if scarlet i2i would drive k712 well? Decided to get xlr Mic, and realized they have headphone jack on it. If they can, I may sell my schiit uber stack so yeah.

Unfortunately, I have not heard this unit. However, I would recommend the Yulong Canary. It has the awesome 128 SNR ESS9018K2M Sabre DAC in it. I have heard this unit in person and it sounds amazing. It comes in black, silver, or red. The amp is 1000mw at 32ohm. You can check it out at the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Yu...hash=item1a217eb9e6:m:m3Iv0O6i42CK4rumZYGPCuA

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #5,085 of 6,349
Unfortunately, I have not heard this unit. However, I would recommend the Yulong Canary. It has the awesome 128 SNR ESS9018K2M Sabre DAC in it. I have heard this unit in person and it sounds amazing. It comes in black, silver, or red. The amp is 1000mw at 32ohm. You can check it out at the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Yu...hash=item1a217eb9e6:m:m3Iv0O6i42CK4rumZYGPCuA

Thank you for reply.. But yeah I do need mic input. I mean... Its either usb or xlr right now, and found this deal on Amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...01N2QUXUK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

which is amazing deal for xlr mic along with accessories and audio interface..

But I think it would be too much luxury to have audio interface and Schiit Uber stack, if Scarlett 2i2 can power K712, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back