The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
May 14, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #5,026 of 6,349
I don't find them too harsh at normal listening levels, but don't like the pairing anyway.
I much prefer the AKG for other types of music. The Sennheiser HD650 would work better for your recordings.

EQ down the region between 5kHz and 9kHz on your AKGs to make the sound smoother.
Download Equalizer APO and then Peace UI
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

You will understand exactly what to do.

Thank you. Will be trying them after work tonight.

May 14, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #5,027 of 6,349
Apparently I've already pre-installed equalizerapo (it was required for me to get vipers4windows working).

Silly question; say if I wanted to tweak between the regions of 5kHz to 9 kHz or the exact 6kHz, 11kHz and 13kHz, but on the 31 band equalizer, I only see the values of 6.3kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 16kHz and 20kHz on the equalizer. Since there are no exact values 9kHz, 11kHz or 13kHz, do I eq the frequencies closest to those values (i.e. 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 16kHz)? Or am I missing something here?

May 15, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #5,028 of 6,349
I listen to alot of jpop so here are a couple off my head that I was able to find on Youtube:
Man, I listen to a ton of Jpop as well but for for those songs you give those are particularly bright/ harsh sounding in particular,especially Keyakizaka46 - Fukyouwaon... even using my K702 on tube didn't help much on that one. For such songs the AKG just reveals the recording as it is, and it certainly don't even try to hide those harshness on that song at all.. The other two are less so, kinda enjoyed Kuzu no Honkai ED on the AKG a bit :). The trick is volume control, don't push the volume knob up too hard and you'll enjoy the song.

So far, how's your experience with it?

May 15, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #5,029 of 6,349
Apparently I've already pre-installed equalizerapo (it was required for me to get vipers4windows working).

Silly question; say if I wanted to tweak between the regions of 5kHz to 9 kHz or the exact 6kHz, 11kHz and 13kHz, but on the 31 band equalizer, I only see the values of 6.3kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 16kHz and 20kHz on the equalizer. Since there are no exact values 9kHz, 11kHz or 13kHz, do I eq the frequencies closest to those values (i.e. 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 16kHz)? Or am I missing something here?
Use the Peace interface instead. It is easier. Otherwise you could use variable instead of fixed bands.

May 15, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #5,030 of 6,349
Man, I listen to a ton of Jpop as well but for for those songs you give those are particularly bright/ harsh sounding in particular,especially Keyakizaka46 - Fukyouwaon... even using my K702 on tube didn't help much on that one. For such songs the AKG just reveals the recording as it is, and it certainly don't even try to hide those harshness on that song at all.. The other two are less so, kinda enjoyed Kuzu no Honkai ED on the AKG a bit :). The trick is volume control, don't push the volume knob up too hard and you'll enjoy the song.

So far, how's your experience with it?

Well using the eq settings as recommended by the youtuber did remove most of the harshness although it went from being bright/forward to kinda laid back :o2smile: Am still fiddling around though because having both Equalizer APO and Viper4Windows running simultaneously doesn't play well with each other. Can't totally rid of V4W because the Viper XBass option is just so smooth! And yea thanks to Heikousen I was introduced to Sayuri as well as Kuzu no Honkai (was kinda a love/hate journey for this one anime!) I did try the demo unit of Fostex T50rp with Heikousen and several other songs and this headphone syncs really well with jpop but unfortunately this is the only model in that line that is sold out at every major outlets when I was in Tokyo last month (Bic, Yodobashi, e-earphones).

Use the Peace interface instead. It is easier. Otherwise you could use variable instead of fixed bands.

Thanks again! The headphone is better controlled now for my line of music but will try to play around some more with the apo settings till I can hopefully settle with something ideal.

May 21, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #5,031 of 6,349
I don't really have the time or patience to modify my AKG K712 for balanced input, but I would much prefer it over single-ended operation.
Will any companies or individuals modify the AKG K712 Pro for a fully balanced connection (s)?
If so, who?
Thanks.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #5,034 of 6,349
Hi, need some advice..... I currently use the AKG K601'S, are the K712's a significant step up in SQ? I know that sq is subjective. You see, I enjoy the K601's for classical and detailed music. I find that I like the warm sound at medium volume. Can anybody explain the difference between them. Thank you in advance.

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #5,035 of 6,349
Hi, need some advice..... I currently use the AKG K601'S, are the K712's a significant step up in SQ? I know that sq is subjective. You see, I enjoy the K601's for classical and detailed music. I find that I like the warm sound at medium volume. Can anybody explain the difference between them. Thank you in advance

Hopefully someone will answer your question.

I have only tried the 612 and 712, I had them at the same time and overall I prefer the 612, I swapped over pads and I believe the 712 pads are responsible for the thicker mid-bass and mid-range which makes the 712 sound slower and gives female vocals too much body for my liking.

It could be possible that the newer 712 have different pads to previous.

I think the 612 does a decent job at EDM and IMO I think it does it better than the 712.

But of course what you pair it with can make a big difference to whether you like the 612 or not!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #5,036 of 6,349
Hey guys, I got interested in these headphones after reading this other thread on Head-fi: Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution. I'm thinking about buying K-712 + O2 Odac. I currently use HD 25-1 II on my PC and I was wondering if I'm getting a decent upgrade since the headphones and amp/dac do cost quite a bit. Main thing I want to improve is that some "light" songs feel like they need more air or openness. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to lose too much of the "aggressive" sound of my current phones if that makes any sense. Any help would be appreciated!

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #5,037 of 6,349
cables received.

pictures over in taobao in comment parts.

【4N纯银 铜银混编VSD3 VSD3S ZS3 ZS5升级线 2.5 4级平衡线】,点击链接再选择浏览器打开http://c.b1yt.com/h.PAmMha?cv=L41VZA8H1ip&sm=a3e145 ,或复制这条信息¥L41VZA8H1ip¥后打开手机淘宝

4 X kz zs5 or audeze isine cable. 1 x audeze sine 1 x audeze LCD 1 x akg k712 All of excellent workmanship and highest craftsmanship available. The foil shielding could be bit hard. Much more details in instruments. And give better kick for bass. For the sine factory default cable, it definitely belongs to the bin. Offer much better before and after sales service than audeze. Nice chap, extremely responsible and reliable. only speaks chinese.need Google translate.ship overseas.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #5,038 of 6,349
actual cables.

TB2A46BuxRDOuFjSZFzXXcIipXa_!!0-rate.jpg

TB2mb.Xv9hlpuFjSspkXXa1ApXa_!!0-rate.jpg

TB2qzbwAAqvpuFjSZFhXXaOgXXa_!!0-rate.jpg

TB225UDv4XkpuFjy0FiXXbUfFXa_!!0-rate.jpg

TB2jsAuvYtlpuFjSspfXXXLUpXa_!!0-rate.jpg

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #5,039 of 6,349
There is a seller on ebay named dwi-international-8. They have the K712 Pro for only 229 US. They are located in Hong Kong. Has anyone bought from this seller, and can confirm these to be genuine ? That is a shockingly low price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AKG-K712-PRO...852400?hash=item1ea7e577f0:g:QqEAAOSw5L9XEETP

If anyone here can confirm that these are authentic, I am going to get a pair today. This price is too good to pass up.

What about this seller ? Can anyone confirm if this one is authentic ? Their price is 249.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-AKG-K712...322325?hash=item1ea1212315:g:alQAAOSw7ChZewcU

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #5,040 of 6,349
My, if those are authentic Austrian models they sure are a steal. Though I've stepped into a couple of HK stores while I was there last year and none of them stock Austrian models anymore. They only have Slovakian made models for retail so yea, kinda fishy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back