The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #4,699 of 6,349

More treble, bigger stage, flatter and cleaner bass. Less intimate.

Surely reference type models like the K712 PRO which are more revealing and the detail much closer, means they are more intimate?  I know that sound is very hard to put into words and often very personal, but I just wondered what intimate sound means to you.  I'm not judging or criticising you by the way.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #4,701 of 6,349

More treble, bigger stage, flatter and cleaner bass. Less intimate.

Surely reference type models like the K712 PRO which are more revealing and the detail much closer, means they are more intimate?  I know that sound is very hard to put into words and often very personal, but I just wondered what intimate sound means to you.  I'm not judging or criticising you by the way.

Its important to understand that the 'Pro' means that AKG have tuned these for Audio Professionals - which means that they are not tuned for fun music listening! but are tuned for critical audio work. I use them to Master Vocals and they are very good for that purpose.
Im sure with the right amp i would enjoy them with music but they are far too dry and analytical for my [personal] music pleasureble listening times :) 

Of course other people will find them quite suitable for their music needs...which is great but its important to appreciate that these headphones are tuned for a specific purpose...One of the guys from AKG was telling me that the 702 is far more suited for music than the 712 Pros for the aforementioned reasons 
dt880smile.png

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #4,702 of 6,349
True and I have had my own home studio setup since around 1991, and I also use some handmade British Quested S7 active monitors, which are also the reference type and so give a "warts n' all" representation of the audio.  The AKG K712 PRO do indeed mercilessly reveal everything that is good and everything that is bad with your audio.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #4,703 of 6,349

Intimate in the sense that everything sounds closer to you (on HD600 vs K712) mainly because of the narrower soundstage but also has to do with a frequency response difference: HD600 is just a tad more forward than K712 in the 2.5 - 4kHz region.

K712 is still focused and precise, but gives a more spatial representation of music.
I prefer K712 over HD600, although HD600 is very good in terms of vocal rendering.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #4,704 of 6,349
I've been looking to get these for a little bit and I saw them on Amazon for 222$, which seemed like a crazy deal. So I jumped on it and bought them.... Only issue is that they were offered by a completely new and unknown seller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCXWXEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My understanding is that there is a guarantee that these are brand new or I get a full refund, so seems risk free?

Was my impulsive buy a bad move!? 

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #4,705 of 6,349
  I've been looking to get these for a little bit and I saw them on Amazon for 222$, which seemed like a crazy deal. So I jumped on it and bought them.... Only issue is that they were offered by a completely new and unknown seller.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCXWXEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, great price. I think you have protection since the seller is sponsored by Amazon.

Let us know how it goes ...

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #4,706 of 6,349
Personally I never buy from sellers without feedback. Sometimes you see deals on Amazon from these kind of sellers which are really to good to be true.. Hope you get lucky, but the price is suspicious if you ask me..

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,708 of 6,349
  Personally I never buy from sellers without feedback. Sometimes you see deals on Amazon from these kind of sellers which are really to good to be true.. Hope you get lucky, but the price is suspicious if you ask me..

I dont see how it is a suspicious price . They are at 219 euros at thomman lol

https://www.thomann.de/pt/akg_k_712_pro.htm

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #4,709 of 6,349
I have HD650 and love them to bits, also AKG 712 and enjoy them so much. I have to say I was a professional musician then sound engineer (both live and in studios). I always preferred AKG in studio and HD650 at home. Now have become a Grado fan at home and swapping with Audeze LCD-X for a neutral pleasure. But I would advise anyone for a mid to hiFi leaning to grab 712's at the crazy price they are going for

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #4,710 of 6,349
  I have HD650 and love them to bits, also AKG 712 and enjoy them so much. I have to say I was a professional musician then sound engineer (both live and in studios). I always preferred AKG in studio and HD650 at home. Now have become a Grado fan at home and swapping with Audeze LCD-X for a neutral pleasure. But I would advise anyone for a mid to hiFi leaning to grab 712's at the crazy price they are going for

You're not allowed to like both!

Hah, joking aside, your use cases home vs studio kind of sum it up. They're two quite different sound signatures and have their place in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back