The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #4,666 of 6,349
Hi, I just bought the Akg 7xx Massdrop, based on the 702 65th, I want to appreciate the difference in sound with my dear 712...

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,667 of 6,349
Hi, I just bought the Akg 7xx Massdrop, based on the 702 65th, I want to appreciate the difference in sound with my dear 712...

There's a notable difference in sound between the two--the bass is accentuated on the 7XX and the high frequencies are a bit warmer. Also, the build quality is not quite as good as the 712.

Please let us know what you think ...

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #4,668 of 6,349
I have K7XX, K702 and K712 and I concur K712 absolute best, K702 beautiful and K7xx are late third (due to build). Still go back to my HD650 and Grado GH1 for most listening. But have to say all are excellent

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #4,669 of 6,349
with these k712 pros going pretty cheaply, I wonder if these are a worthy upgrade to the K701s. Running them out of the WA22 gave such a nice alternate perspective to music.

while my HD800S is a nice headphone, I think I prefer the K701s when amp matched, the trickiest headphone to amp match IME.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #4,670 of 6,349
with these k712 pros going pretty cheaply, I wonder if these are a worthy upgrade to the K701s. Running them out of the WA22 gave such a nice alternate perspective to music.

while my HD800S is a nice headphone, I think I prefer the K701s when amp matched, the trickiest headphone to amp match IME.

I just paid £183 from Bax Shop, and worth every penny

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #4,671 of 6,349

​K712. HD800 more tight and fast base. I am yet to get the balanced cable for HD800 but may be with correct amp and balanced mode HD800 may show it might

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #4,672 of 6,349
Hello!

I also bought the 712 for peanuts on bax shops a month ago. Since then, i listened to them a solid 150 hours through a Roland Quad Capture dac into a Magni 2. 

I'm a strong proponent of dsp to improve sound vs bit perfect playback, because i think one's hearing is part of the listening system and because of that if you want to hear flat and true to artist vision sound either you have perfect hearing or you use dsp processing. What importance does bit perfect playback if these bits don't sound as they should?

So on the dsp side i'm listening mostly flac through jriver, with audio upsampled to 192khz  and feed into dmg equilibrium ( a high, high, high quality eq processor; i use an eq curve similar to the sonarworks one, but i add some bands of stereo equalization to fix some deficencies in my hearing that make me hear some high frequencies off center; i also run it in FIR mode at the maximum quality settings basically having the lows in minimum phase and mids and highs linear; this is the best advantage compared to plain sonarworks because it eliminates any pre-ringing and basically permits to eq the headphone without suffering strong transient smearing; the cons of this are that it's absolutely unusable for realtime studio work if you want to do that because the filter add a lot of latency and consume 20% cpu on my core i7, but for listening... hey, with quality we go lol) and redline monitor for crossfeed, then dithered down with tpdf. I find this gives me the best processing quality.

Aniway with this setup these headphones are killer, really balanced across the spectrum and with a soundstage not only large but also deep: more than once i had the impression of listening at monitors with the sound coming from in front of me. I would really like to hear a stock hd800 to see how they compare to the k712 corrected in this manner. Granted, the eq i use cost as much as the headphones, but i already had it so...

As for how they sound stock, well.. Good, but they are a bit to forward from 100 to 800 hz to be considered flat, so the bass even with it's 3db boost doesn't shine like it could. Also there are some nasty peaks on the highs that gives the impression of detail, until you eq the headphone the right way and notice that the cymbals ring and sound a little splashy. With eq, buttery smooth.

But since i was searching an headphones which didn't cost me a kidney but could deliver top of the line performance corrected, i'm super happy and for the price they go around now imho they are really a good bang for your bucks. Suffice to say years ago i bought the m50 for around the same price and they aren't comparable at all.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #4,673 of 6,349
  I just paid £183 from Bax Shop, and worth every penny

Great price! I paid $329 for mine a few months ago and thought that was a great deal.

I wonder with the pending closure of the Austrian facility if this might have something to do with the cheaper prices floating around these days ...

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #4,675 of 6,349
  I thought it was too great a price to pass up on. Say made in Slovakia on the box. Best sounding to me of the 7 series

Yes, I love the sound of them, especially driven by my Mojo. 

On the right inner side there should be a gloss black sticker that says "Made in Slovakia (EU)."

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #4,676 of 6,349
I'm leaving a quick reply just to report that after trying the K712 and not liking them, I decided to give the K702 a go. 
The moment I tried them music instantly felt just right. Clean, detailed, smooth and with a big soundstage. No sign of the K712's harshness/dryness and slightly recessed representation.
The problem wasn't my equipment.  

I'll give a more in depth review of my experience in the K702's thread in the coming weeks. It looks like it can be the perfect companion for my X2. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #4,677 of 6,349
  I'm leaving a quick reply just to report that after trying the K712 and not liking them, I decided to give the K702 a go. 
The moment I tried them music instantly felt just right. Clean, detailed, smooth and with a big soundstage. No sign of the K712's harshness/dryness and slightly recessed representation.
The problem wasn't my equipment.  

I'll give a more in depth review of my experience in the K702's thread in the coming weeks. It looks like it can be the perfect companion for my X2. 

can you link it here please, I'd like to read it
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #4,678 of 6,349
Well, K712 is in the house.
Keep in mind I'm comparing with a late K702 (sn. 129.xxx) which is slightly warmer and less dry than all previous K702 I've heard including a relatively late sn.102.xxx.

(First impressions)
K712 has a fuller, slightly less energetic tonality (read, more lower midrange presence, less upper midrange) while K702 has a slightly lighter tonality overall.
K712 sounds more focused, while K702 sounds just a tad bigger and more diffuse. Both are detailed and both are very clean.
K712 seems to be a better all rounder, while K702 might best it on some particular recordings.

With K712 pads, the very late K702 measures pretty much the same as K712, so best chances are they are both using the same drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back