The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,682 of 6,349
  thomann.de has them for 218€. And prices are still dropping.

Yup I saw the thomman listing as well . 218 and free shipping.

The thing is how much do you need to spend in DAC/AMP for these at least.

I heard they were very picky about the AMP/DAC , while something like the fidelios X2 is a bit more expensive but will shine with a cheapo amp/dac like the fiio e10k.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #4,684 of 6,349
One of the common comments I read about the 712s are users making a quick assessment based on a few hours of listening. I can't emphasize enough that 712s require a couple hundred hours of burn-in before they sound their best. The drivers need to loosen up, no different than quality loudspeakers.

When I first got my 712s, I found the bass somewhat anemic and the high frequencies piercingly bright. With lots of playing time on them at high volume levels, these qualities diminished over time. Yes, the 712s are a detailed sounding design, but with better bass performance through burn-in, the overall balance of the 712s settled in just right, at least to my ears.

My recommendation for any buyer is to let your headphones play at a high level without listening to them for a couple days straight. This will get you more than halfway there in order to make a good assessment.

In my humble opinion, of course. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #4,685 of 6,349
One of the common comments I read about the 712s are users making a quick assessment based on a few hours of listening. I can't emphasize enough that 712s require a couple hundred hours of burn-in before they sound their best. The drivers need to loosen up, no different than quality loudspeakers.

When I first got my 712s, I found the bass somewhat anemic and the high frequencies piercingly bright. With lots of playing time on them at high volume levels, these qualities diminished over time. Yes, the 712s are a detailed sounding design, but with better bass performance through burn-in, the overall balance of the 712s settled in just right, at least to my ears.

My recommendation for any buyer is to let your headphones play at a high level without listening to them for a couple days straight. This will get you more than halfway there in order to make a good assessment.

In my humble opinion, of course. 
wink_face.gif

I don't agree.
I've got my K712 yesterday and the bass is very good, pretty much as good as it gets, price no object. It's extended and precise.
I've measured my previous K702 new and with many hours of use and always measured the same. Same happened with my other headphones so best chances are the same will happen with K712.

Most of the times, people coming from lower-fi headphones are used to boosted bass and recessed treble, so they pick K712 and find them bright and anemic. They get used to the more neutral sound over time, that's it 99% of the times. More so, sometimes they get better equippment in the proccess so the headphone actually ends up sounding better.

I found some k712 pro for 220 euros , free shipping.

Do I get schitt stack for these? Or would something like the schitt fulla / fulla 2 work ?

Fulla/Fulla 2 will work fine.
If you have the money to aim higher, K712 will improve as well.

Fidelio X2 is not on the same level as K712 (even unamped) unless bigger bass means better to you.

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #4,686 of 6,349

I don't agree.
I've got my K712 yesterday and the bass is very good, pretty much as good as it gets, price no object. It's extended and precise.
I've measured my previous K702 new and with many hours of use and always measured the same. Same happened with my other headphones so best chances are the same will happen with K712.

Most of the times, people coming from lower-fi headphones are used to boosted bass and recessed treble, so they pick K712 and find them bright and anemic. They get used to the more neutral sound over time, that's it 99% of the times. More so, sometimes they get better equippment in the proccess so the headphone actually ends up sounding better.

Fulla/Fulla 2 will work fine.
If you have the money to aim higher, K712 will improve as well.

Fidelio X2 is not on the same level as K712 (even unamped) unless bigger bass means better to you.

well the fidelio x2s are more expensive so thats good news.

I can find the akgs for 218 euros with free shipping .

Phillips headphones are very expensive in europe , AKG headphones are much easier to find by far and better prices too.

I am not super discerning when it comes to headphones so I am sure the k712 will blow my mind compared to the cans I have now even with just the schitt fulla.

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4,687 of 6,349

I don't agree.

That's entirely within your rights to not agree, no worries. Having owned a headphone system valued at over $7k and a home system worth more than $100k, my experience has shown otherwise.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #4,688 of 6,349
Since something I said regarding the comparison between the X2 and the K712 is being brought up I wanna clarify something. 

These two headphones are like day and night and serve two different purposes in my opinion. 
The X2 is the easy one. Easy to drive and easy to like. 
The K712 is the hard one. Hard to drive, not as easy to enjoy with every kind of music and very, very, revealing when it comes to the quality of the recording (as someone correctly pointed out, this is a reference studio headphone).

I enjoy the X2 more because it sounds good with everything I listen to. But that doesn't necessarily make it better.
If had the chance, I would have kept both. As I previously said, the K712 has the best 3D soundstage I ever experienced. 

Quote:

can you link it here please, I'd like to read it
rolleyes.gif

I guess I won't be able to do that review about the K702 after all. The left pad is faulty (the overall building quality feels very cheap by the way). 

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #4,689 of 6,349

Since something I said regarding the comparison between the X2 and the K712 is being brought up I wanna clarify something. 

These two headphones are like day and night and serve two different purposes in my opinion. 
The X2 is the easy one. Easy to drive and easy to like. 
The K712 is the hard one. Hard to drive, not as easy to enjoy with every kind of music and very, very, revealing when it comes to the quality of the recording (as someone correctly pointed out, this is a reference studio headphone).

I enjoy the X2 more because it sounds good with everything I listen to. But that doesn't necessarily make it better.
If had the chance, I would have kept both. As I previously said, the K712 has the best 3D soundstage I ever experienced. 

It's very interesting to note how impressions are always relative to the recordings involved and our frame of reference.
Since I'm very used to the analytical nature of HD800 and normally listen to top class recordings, the K712 appears to me as a good all rounder that's warmer and softer and fit a wider range of recordings.

well the fidelio x2s are more expensive so thats good news.

I can find the akgs for 218 euros with free shipping .

Phillips headphones are very expensive in europe , AKG headphones are much easier to find by far and better prices too.

I am not super discerning when it comes to headphones so I am sure the k712 will blow my mind compared to the cans I have now even with just the schitt fulla.

With regards to the Fidelio X2 as you've stated is a completly different headphone and the right pick depends strongly on personal preferences and recordings.
To expand on my comments, I don't think the Fidelio matches the AKGs clean bass response, neutralish tuning, resolving treble and soundstage, but as you've quoted that's what one should expect from a reference studio headphone and not necessarily what everyone wants/need to enjoy music the most.

Unamped K712 will still perform better as a reference studio headphone than Fidelio X2, and no neutral amplifier (no matter how good or expensive) will make K712 sound like Fidelio X2 or Fidelio X2 sound like K712. So for those wondering is not a matter of 'how much should I invest to make K712 better than Fidelio X2'. If you want a neutralish studio headphone which point out if the recording is less than perfect, K712 is the one to go, but if you want a more cohesive sound with powerful bass, more forgiving and still good in terms of sound quality, the Fidelio X2 might be your cup of tea.

Build quality is also different because they're designed with different targets. AKGs are as light as possible, while Fidelios are rock-solid and luxurious.
Both are comfortable to me.

K712 will sound great with quality recordings.
If you want something that's closer to K712 in terms of technical ability but more forgiving you might consider the Sennheiser HD650 and the (even warmer) Nighthawk.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #4,692 of 6,349
Oh... I see some on eBay you are right... for 235$ US. These come from Hong Kong though. Have people had much experience with these? Are they still made in Europe (and obviously not fake?). Seems weird to come from Asia!

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4,693 of 6,349
The word is that the HK AKG products are coming from a distributer over there and are basically being sold at or just below cost. As far as I've seen they all say they are made in Slovakia. Fakes out of china are VERY good though, so it's hard to say 100% if they are real but the people around here that bought them and their photos lead me to believe they are real.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #4,694 of 6,349
Hi, finally the 7xx arrived home ...
First impressions of my inexperienced ears ...
more low and less high, I seem a little sweeter than the 712.
Pads smaller than the 712, I feel a little warmer, but cover the entire ear.
I continue with the burn process ...

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4,695 of 6,349
  The word is that the HK AKG products are coming from a distributer over there and are basically being sold at or just below cost. As far as I've seen they all say they are made in Slovakia. Fakes out of china are VERY good though, so it's hard to say 100% if they are real but the people around here that bought them and their photos lead me to believe they are real.

I bought mine a little while ago on Amazon, and the outer package had an AKG China sticker on it. The box and the 712s said made in Slovakia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back