The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #451 of 6,345
Quote:
I'll just say that if the +3db low end increase holds true for the k612 as well as the k712, the k612 may be the one headphone that will get me to come out of retirement. Maybe.

I confess they don't appear to be much different than the original k601, at least in form factor.

I think I'm probably content to wait for others to be the first adopters.

I would be inclined to agree, ha.  Although, it has definitely piqued my interest. . .

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #452 of 6,345
Quote:
EDIT: Someone needs to take one for the team and try a K601 with Anniversary pads. Probably warmth overload and way too dark.

Where would one procure a pair of Anniversary pads. . .and what kind of hit to the wallet would they be?

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #454 of 6,345
We play on a field where inches are described as miles. From the beginning, we've all assumed the K712 was the AE with a new coat of paint. I'm still assuming that to be true, but I'm also open enough to think that maybe AKG did make some small improvement to the sonics. Likely? Of course not, but maybe. We'll just have to wait until we get some real comparison testing done between the two.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #455 of 6,345
Quote:

Where would one procure a pair of Anniversary pads. . .and what kind of hit to the wallet would they be?

Spare parts
Frank Rodriguez
Phone:  +1 818 920-3279

They were $73 shipped back when I bought some in January. What a rip off. They better not have reduced the price to like $50. Someone else ordered a pair and I think they got them much cheaper. Maybe AKG uses Tempur-Pedic fancy-pants memory foam that costs an arm and a leg.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #456 of 6,345
Quote:
Spare parts
Frank Rodriguez
Phone:  +1 818 920-3279

They were $73 shipped back when I bought some in January. What a rip off. They better not have reduced the price to like $50. Someone else ordered a pair and I think they got them much cheaper. Maybe AKG uses Tempur-Pedic fancy-pants memory foam that costs an arm and a leg.

Honestly can't say I'd bite the bullet at $73. . .I'd be more inclined to try and make some memory foam pads before paying that much! 
size]

. . .then again, maybe I'm just a cheap #%(&@#$&  
size]

*edit*  But I do appreciate the contact information in case I lose control of my wallet one night  
size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #457 of 6,345
Quote:
We play on a field where inches are described as miles. From the beginning, we've all assumed the K712 was the AE with a new coat of paint. I'm still assuming that to be true, but I'm also open enough to think that maybe AKG did make some small improvement to the sonics. Likely? Of course not, but maybe. We'll just have to wait until we get some real comparison testing done between the two.

The Annies look better IMHO. Love the blue trim and stitching. If they do indeed sound the same... I'd say go grab the Annies. Razordog offers an excellent price.

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #458 of 6,345
Quote:

The Annies look better IMHO. Love the blue trim and stitching. If they do indeed sound the same... I'd say go grab the Annies. Razordog offers an excellent price.

Or if you don't need a new flat headband you can buy the Q701 for $235 and get some $73 (probably cheaper by now) memory foam pads. Probably would save someone $75-$100. That's not exactly pocket change to some.
I'm guessing the Anniversary is around $400 at Razordog.

I've found that when you use Annie pads on the Q701, it sounds best without the outer grill foam (placebo according to some).

Lately I use the Anniversary mainly for gaming and Q701 for music.

EDIT: a $165 price premium over the Q701 for such minor differences in bass is nuts, but I'm a cheapskate.

I can't wait to see those frequency graphs roll in. If they're dramatically different I will retire from all this nonsense. I doubt they will be except maybe in the upper mids and treble.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #460 of 6,345
My next short review:

The Planets op.32 / Montreal SO, Dutoit / Decca, DDD, 86 / Tr. 1 - Mars
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Holst-1874-1934-The-Planets-op-32/hnum/5131961
K712 more of blackness, massive, trumpet horns aggressive than the Q701

Misa Criolla, Josè Carreras, Philips, Tr. 1 & 2
K712 punchier in the bass, drums show more body, the voice of José Carreras hardly shows a marked and reproducible change.

And prevent it from being so one-sided for some POP fans

Steve Vai, Sound Theories Vol I & II
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Steve-Vai-Sound-Theories-I-II/hnum/9825226
Here, the K712 can finally show what it can do - there's so right from the post that rips!
(translate from german: da geht so richtig die Post ab, das fetzt!)

The K712 seems to be for rock & pop fans a "must have"!
The AKG K712 is of the headphones I've heard so far, been the most pressure coupled with the openness of the 7xx series.
Since no K550, K271 MKII come with - even if you gently rotate hearing something quieter (you should no longer constantly exaggerate).

PS: I hope my style of headphone reviews with certain pieces of music to compare can help you - I'm doing this for so, since I write reviews

Excuse my not so good english I translate this from my german posting
http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=110&thread=14257&postID=111#111

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #461 of 6,345
Quote:
I hate these HD-650 comparisons. To me it's not more airy and with a bigger soundstage. About the same based on memory. HD-650 is way better IMO, but the Annie is definitely more forward sounding.

And yet you do them yourself... I spent half day comparing my anniversaries against HD650 and I wouldn't say that either one is way better. There are definitely similarities and differences between these two, but in the end I found them to complete each other pretty well. For me the can of choice was determined by the music I listened. HD650 was more engaging and less fatiguing with rock (especially with garage rock) and anniversaries were superior with pop, soul etc. I think it comes down to what music you like to listen. Vocals (especially female vocals) sound absolutely awesome with anniversaries. In my comparisons I found annies to have more air in the sound (or transparency if you will).

Btw I ordered K702 pads and will share my take on the pad comparisons after careful consideration.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #462 of 6,345
Quote:

And yet you do them yourself... I spent half day comparing my anniversaries against HD650 and I wouldn't say that either one is way better. There are definitely similarities and differences between these two, but in the end I found them to complete each other pretty well. For me the can of choice was determined by the music I listened. HD650 was more engaging and less fatiguing with rock (especially with garage rock) and anniversaries were superior with pop, soul etc. I think it comes down to what music you like to listen. Vocals (especially female vocals) sound absolutely awesome with anniversaries. In my comparisons I found annies to have more air in the sound (or transparency if you will).

Btw I ordered K702 pads and will share my take on the pad comparisons after careful consideration.

Agreed (except I'm running HD650 balanced, so it's mostly better for now).
atsmile.gif
(we really need an hd 650 smiley)

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #463 of 6,345
Quote:

Well, "way better" is a bit overdoing it, but for my music preferences that's pretty accurate. I figure that most people might prefer the Anniversary to the 650, but who knows. I've found that my HD-650 has less mid-bass but a little better low bass extension. Not by much though. I think for gaming the extra bass on the Anniversary is what I prefer though lately. For music it's the Q701 or HD-650.

Also, there could be slight variations of the HD-650. Mine seems to be off the general consensus. It's the latest version but seems pretty dang flat with some slightly reduced treble. I know it sounds like nonsense, but the Anniversary has less treble than my HD-650!!

I haven't done a day of A/B comparing the HD-650 to the Anniversary yet, but maybe I will sometime. It kind of ruins the fun of listening to headphones for me though.

Out of all 3 of my main open headphones, I prefer the Q701 to all of them for female vocals. The HD-650 would probably be next. This pair also doesn't seem to have any major drop in the upper mids at all.

I would say the main thing I don't like about the Anniversary is that it has less upper mids than what I prefer. I bet once they get measured this will show up on graphs. I'm addicted to my upper mids I guess.

So it all comes down to preferences really. If I listened to a lot of bassy music I'd probably be raving about the Anniversary. Not much of my music really benefits that much from it over the Q701.

I guess i'm warming up to the Anniversary a little. I think my problem is that I find the Q701 and HD-650 a little more engaging for my music. It's weird saying that since for most it'd probably be the Anniversary.

BTW the K400 with Anniversary pads is pretty nice though
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #464 of 6,345
No I do find the HD 650 better for music engagement (generally)... the Annies more for monitoring-like sound... or when I'm just looking for more zing.  The impact of the bass for both are solid, but the difference to me is AKG's impact for bass is quick fast punch from a nimble lightweight boxer, whereas the HD 650 is more like a straight from a heavy weight boxer... both punchy... but the speed and weight are diff.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #465 of 6,345
*So I don't have any intention of derailing the thread, I hope this isn't too far off topic. 

I haven't had the chance to demo any of the AKG line yet. Hopefully at the L.A. meet on the 20th there will be a few that I can try. Been looking for a nice open pair of cans to compliment my Mad Dogs. I've mostly narrowed it down to the Q701 or the Annies. I wasn't particularly impressed by the HD650s, but my time with them was limited. Hoping to use them for music and gaming. Mad Lust Envy's thread answered all of my game related questions with the AKGs. 

In order of importance:

1. Musical & funish (not super-reference boring)
2. Comfortable
3. smooth and more-or-less non-fatiguing

Do you feel that either of the upcoming K712 or K612 might fit the bill / be worth the money?  (obviously we'll have to wait on more reviews, but with what we know now)
Should I just put my money down on existing Q701, K702, or Annie, other?

Basically, is it worth waiting for and spending more money on these newer models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back