The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #421 of 6,345
I have to say I really like the orange cable. The springs are maybe a bit too much though...
Nevertheless I think I'll keep the AE, so I don't care too much about the K712's design anyway. But I think its nice that they created a regular model based upon the modified sound signature of the Anniversaries.

I have somewhat of a fixation on the color orange, so I'm a big fan of the design. My big issue at the moment is a matter of impatience.

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #422 of 6,345
I don't know roguegeek, I see the AE right now still selling really slow. I think the slow change in sound and improvement plus the lack of really changing the style makes them really not truly a desirable limited edition. Base on what I read, their sound isn't really unique compare to the other X7XX series.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #423 of 6,345
Quote:
I don't know roguegeek, I see the AE right now still selling really slow. I think the slow change in sound and improvement plus the lack of really changing the style makes them really not truly a desirable limited edition. Base on what I read, their sound isn't really unique compare to the other X7XX series.

Don't think i've ever read this before anywhere and don't agree at all. It's unique enough that some fans of the Q701/K702 sound might not even like it. That's probably rare though.
To me it's closer to the PX100-II (sound signature) or HD-650 than the OLD K701/K702 (Not Q701).
Unless it's for gaming (and possibly movies), I prefer the Q701.
It's really amazing what pads can do for a headphone. The wrong pads can often totally ruin a headphone.

BTW to ME it's a bigger jump than the K702 to Q701.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #424 of 6,345
I'm sure this has been said before, but another thing I've noticed about the memory foam pads is that at the same volume levels the Annie is MUCH louder than the Q701. So it's almost like it's more closed off or something. It might even be a better match for super powered portable players. So far almost no portables i've tried have enough power for the Q701 or K702 Anniversary. It sounds pretty good from my Ipod Classic 3G, but not so much my Ipod Touch 2G.

They almost remind me of a mix between the old K240 Studio and Q701. The Annie is definitely more forward sounding than the Q701 (except when it comes to it's upper mids). Female vocals sound way more present on the Q701 though which is why I prefer that.

Gaming is pretty nice on the Anniversary (and 712 Pro I imagine)

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #425 of 6,345
What I meant is unique enough to where you can't do anything to sound the same as the other. I mean if it sound similar enough wher you can just buy the pad to make it sound similar then I call that "not unique" from other headphone from its former. I'm don't doubt the change and that is what I meant when I say from what I read, not a really different headphone. Just minor changes that change the sound somewhat.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #426 of 6,345
Are these the "Deer Hunter" edition?  You can now hunt and listen to your music while still meeting your requirements to be wearing hunter orange head gear!
Quote:
My AKG K712 in the house now  
happy_face1.gif

Some reviews coming soon 
k701smile.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #427 of 6,345
Quote:

Don't think i've ever read this before anywhere and don't agree at all. It's unique enough that some fans of the Q701/K702 sound might not even like it. That's probably rare though.
To me it's closer to the PX100-II (sound signature) or HD-650 than the OLD K701/K702 (Not Q701).
Unless it's for gaming (and possibly movies), I prefer the Q701.
It's really amazing what pads can do for a headphone. The wrong pads can often totally ruin a headphone.

BTW to ME it's a bigger jump than the K702 to Q701.

I own the Sennheiser PX100-II and the K702 Annies and don't think they sound anything alike.  The PX100-II are very dark (bass-heavy).

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #428 of 6,345
Do these new ones have memory foam pads like the Annies?

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #429 of 6,345
I would actually be quite interested in hearing the new K612's and see what is different coming from the K601's.

Personally, and I currently own both, I much prefer the K601's to the K701's purely sonically speaking.  I find the 701's to be much too harsh to my ears for any kind of extended listening.  The highs give the perception of more detail on the 701's, but I feel it to be more of a falsified sensation than necessarily one of a truer nature (this compared to the 601's).  The only positive I have been able to gain from the 701's is their pad design. . .I got a 2nd pair of 701 pads and use them on the 601's, which tweaked the 601's just enough acoustically to be that middle pot of porridge. (Goldilocks reference in case you missing it, ha) I have always felt like the 601's were the overlooked redheaded step brother to the 701's personally.

I have only stated all of this (and wasted the last few moments of your life while reading this) to give insight into the reasoning behind my interest in the new K612's.  I would be interested in, both, to see if there was a gain in sound quality over the K601's and also to see if it gets, possibly sadly, over stepped for the K712's in a similar fashion to its ancestor.

as a side note. . .I actually only still have the 701's from a lack of motivation to sell them, ha

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #430 of 6,345
...eager for some reports on the sound.

Because I'm hoping that the vaunted 3db pop in the bass has not resulted
in nasty "unintended consequences"; negatively impacting some of the
great aspects of the 7xx series.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #433 of 6,345

Users who are viewing this thread

Back