The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #4,051 of 6,345
I'd say the HD700 would be comparable if it were the same price. It has more of a treble peak and mid bass punch, but isn't as versatile IMHO. I haven't had the chance to try them side by side.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #4,053 of 6,345
I've owned and listened to both the hd700 and k712 for many hours and I find that with the k712 I can listen to all of my music and it sounds good. I find the hd700 to be superior to the k712 but only with about 1/3 of my music and the funny thing its not specific to any genre of music its seems kind of random what will sound good on the hd700. I feel the k712 or the hd600 are much more consistent and better values imho.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #4,054 of 6,345
  I just received my K712 yesterday and i'm underwhelmed. Or my MSR7 is just really good too. I expected more. Let's wait and see. How about burn in?

Yes, they improve dramatically with 50 - 200 hours of burn-in.  I use a burn-in disc, but white noise works well too. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek/cd.html

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4,055 of 6,345
I just received my K712 yesterday and i'm underwhelmed. Or my MSR7 is just really good too. I expected more. Let's wait and see. How about burn in?

I often find that headphones with say, a big bass can stand out and are very entertaining, but in the long run, the very thing that you noticed can become its Achilles heel.

Very often, a good headphone might strike you as 'boring' at first if it's close to what we normally hear, then it's nothing special on first listen.

A bit like in TV shops, where they display everything that they want to sell at very high contrast and brightness. Similar to a loudness button on hifi. Impressive at first, but ultimately, very wearing.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #4,056 of 6,345
I often find that headphones with say, a big bass can stand out and are very entertaining, but in the long run, the very thing that you noticed can become its Achilles heel.

Very often, a good headphone might strike you as 'boring' at first if it's close to what we normally hear, then it's nothing special on first listen.

A bit like in TV shops, where they display everything that they want to sell at very high contrast and brightness. Similar to a loudness button on hifi. Impressive at first, but ultimately, very wearing.

Very true! 

But my experience with the K712 was that the bass annoyed me to begin with and then I got used to it...Then I really enjoyed it.  But after listening to other headphones more recently - There's just too much 'warmth' for me again.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #4,057 of 6,345
Hi,

After owning a pair of these for about a year and so now, I've had to replace the ear pads once due to wear. And now, some time later, the plastic parts on the left ear have completely snapped, and the thin black cables holding the headband are on the verge of doing the same. I'm always very careful with my headphones. Haven't dropped them once or in any way been violent with them.

While I cannot complain about the audio quality, which I've come to adore with my setup, I'm still disappointed in how seemingly susceptible they are to wear and tear.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #4,058 of 6,345
  Hi,

After owning a pair of these for about a year and so now, I've had to replace the ear pads once due to wear. And now, some time later, the plastic parts on the left ear have completely snapped, and the thin black cables holding the headband are on the verge of doing the same. I'm always very careful with my headphones. Haven't dropped them once or in any way been violent with them.

While I cannot complain about the audio quality, which I've come to adore with my setup, I'm still disappointed in how seemingly susceptible they are to wear and tear.

Does it come with a warranty? Sorry to hear about that...

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #4,059 of 6,345
  Hi,

That is very surprising.  I treat my k702s like crap and so did the guy who had them before me.  Still on the original ear pads & no problems.  

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4,060 of 6,345
...my experience with the K712 was that the bass annoyed me to begin with and then I got used to it...Then I really enjoyed it.  But after listening to other headphones more recently - There's just too much 'warmth' for me again.

It appears that you have perfectly described the phantom issue of "Burn-in," and the normal state of Head-Fi crew members which is: "Money Burning A Hole In My Pocket. Please, Help Me Spend It"

Still love mine...a lot. Driving with Hafler P-1500 (not a cute looker) from speaker posts.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #4,062 of 6,345
Yes I'm afraid it's terminal with me.. I like new toys haha

But my love for the original K701/2 is stronger than I thought. Just snapped some more original 7 bump K701's (8xxx) and I couldn't be happier! 

Don't get me wrong regarding the K712's though. I would still recommend them as an amazing all rounder for those who appreciate the HD650 but want a bit more of everything. The treble especially is spot on - better than the hd800 imo.

No getting away from it, I learned to like the bass/warmth of the 712's over time. Found it fun with a lot of recordings - gave me confidence in wacking old Jazz and classical recordings on knowing that the sound would be cozy in the warm blanket that starts from the mids down. I was going to do a comparison between the old and new but subjective bias would prevent it from being fair in this case. They are completely different sound sigs. Both have their respective place in the AKG line up and both are fantastic at what they do.

But in regards to all the subtle changes over the years to please folk. I personally think they got it right first time. And each change has brought a degradation to the original attempt of neutrality, clarity and imaging. But only a degradation in this respect. They are now an improvement for the folks who want a more fun sound! And there is nothing at all wrong with that.  

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #4,063 of 6,345
Funny thing that I really didn't like the first k701; specifically the treble.

However recently, I got the K712 which I do like, but also a K702 to compare it to. Funnily enough, the K702 doesn't give me the same treble as the original k701. It seems slightly smoother, with less bass than the K712 of course.

You are right - the k712 compares well with the Senn hd650 which I also have. That surprised me. I also prefer the K712 treble by comparison. I think the bass goes deeper too, although mid bass isn't as strong.

I did find it funny that you went from liking the bass to not liking it!! That happens a lot with me as well. The thing that you think at first is a strength becomes it's damnation!!! :wink:

I really identified with what you said.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #4,064 of 6,345
I think my K712 Pros developed an Channel imbalance problem......... the left side is more quiet than the right side 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back