The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #4,036 of 6,349
I'm thinking this is the biggest problem with headphone fandom. Words like "warm," "bloomy," "transition," and "bassy" can all mean wildly different things depending on who's talking.

An audio glossary that defines these terms, and many more, has been around for ~50 years. Educated listeners all mean the same thing, given identical jargon.

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4,037 of 6,349

I'm thinking this is the biggest problem with headphone fandom. Words like "warm," "bloomy," "transition," and "bassy" can all mean wildly different things depending on who's talking.

An audio glossary that defines these terms, and many more, has been around for ~50 years. Educated listeners all mean the same thing, given identical jargon.

Check this out ~

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #4,038 of 6,349
Just as one example, to play Devil's Advocate, some use warmth to describe the Sennheiser type "mid-bass emphasis and softer treble", while some use it for 2nd order tube-style distortion. That's why I always just encourage auditions.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #4,040 of 6,349
^ oh yes . . .  much better . . . 

L3000.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #4,041 of 6,349
The problem with those definitions is that they don't really exist. According to that, "warm" is a more intense version of "dark" which is a consistently smooth downward gradient from bass to treble, a negative relationship between frequency and intensity. Frankly, I don't know of ANY headphones that actually applies to. Not a single one. And CERTAINLY none of the headphones mentioned in this thread, all of which have bass humps (with an early dropoff) of varying degrees followed by treble spikes of one kind or another. The closest I can think of would be the SE846 but that's pretty extreme and also varies wildly depending on filter/mod/tip usage. 

So even if we go by what that dictionary says, the HD600 cannot be called "warm" whatsoever, and if we were to put sort of a "trend line" on the HD600 versus the HD650 and K712 it would absolutely be less warm still because its overall tilt is less pronounced. So here we are, using all of these various words and nomenclature and then linking to a glossary of terms that contradicts how they've been used in the thread.

...what now? 
beyersmile.png

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #4,042 of 6,349
The problem with those definitions is that they don't really exist. According to that, "warm" is a more intense version of "dark" which is a consistently smooth downward gradient from bass to treble, a negative relationship between frequency and intensity. Frankly, I don't know of ANY headphones that actually applies to. Not a single one. And CERTAINLY none of the headphones mentioned in this thread, all of which have bass humps (with an early dropoff) of varying degrees followed by treble spikes of one kind or another. The closest I can think of would be the SE846 but that's pretty extreme and also varies wildly depending on filter/mod/tip usage. 

So even if we go by what that dictionary says, the HD600 cannot be called "warm" whatsoever, and if we were to put sort of a "trend line" on the HD600 versus the HD650 and K712 it would absolutely be less warm still because its overall tilt is less pronounced. So here we are, using all of these various words and nomenclature and then linking to a glossary of terms that contradicts how they've been used in the thread.

...what now? :beyersmile:

Time to stop talking to you.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,043 of 6,349
Time to stop talking to you.

Look, it's not my doing that y'all are using words one way then pointing to definitions that mean another way. If that gets your knickers all in a twist then all right, off ya go and I won't miss ya. :p

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,044 of 6,349
Shaffer, play nice and Google "fallacy of etymology".

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #4,046 of 6,349
Ohey peoples,

I've recently ordered a pair of AKG K712s since I got a good deal for them on ebay UK and heard a load of good things about them beforehand (plus I love the design of the shells) - now comes the question as to which amp and/or DAC I should get to use them with my PC.
Until now, I'm using a Xonar U7 along with my Sennheiser PC360 and optimally, I'm looking to give both to my girlfriend once a) the AKGs arrive and b) I found a suitable replacement for the Xonar.

I heard a lot of good about FiiO and Schiit when it comes to the K712s, specifically FiiO E07K since it has both an amp and DAC, and the Schiit Magni/Modi 2 and their Uber equivalents - I would rather not spend above 200€ on additional audio gear for them (although I would, if it's a reasonable improvement since I heard the headphones are very picky on that - I mean, I can space it out over a few months after all :p), so I'd say for a package of both (similar to the E07K), I'd probably be willing to pay up to 120-150€, for both of them seperate I'd probably pay 80-120€ each.

Any impressions and recommendations on that front, anyone?
Is the Xonar U7 even a decent-enough fit to burn them in properly and use them for the time being, or am I on the totally wrong bandwagon with that for now?

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #4,048 of 6,349
  All,
  I'm looking specifically HD700 vs K712.... Thoughts?

For all I hear, HD700 and 800 seem to be very clinical and neutral, while the K712s vary more depending on what you pair them with, but have a deeper/richer sound if fit correctly, which is why I went with them - still in the process of reading up on optimal amps and DACs though, so I'm not going to claim I absolutely know what I'm talking yet :p

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #4,049 of 6,349
I would skip the HD700. The K712 is a fine headphone. HD800 is another matter, but you will need to amp it appropriately, usually with an amp whose strengths are nearly opposite to the needs of AKGs, which thrive on current and do well with hybrids. HD800s thrive with voltage, though not necessarily OTL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back