The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
May 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3,856 of 6,349
I'm a big fan of the LCD2, it is amazing for Jazz/acoustic music - the tonality once you get accustomed to them is second to none! (haven't heard the LCD3 though) . But I found it struggled with larger classical works. I can hear similarities with the K712's and not just the darker tone - its the the depth and velvety mids. I sold mine when I went for the HD800, ideally those two hp's would be my endgame - one for classical and one for Jazz. 

These days I'm balancing my monies with my other passion photography, so thats why I've stepped down to mid-tier set ups. Although I don't like the labels we have these days, as it wasn't that long ago that the K701 and HD600 were the high enders! 

Another plus with the LCD2 is how easy they are to drive, they are not like normal planars in this respect. I wouldn't plug them into an iphone but any decent amp will do, seriously!

Good luck with your next purchase! 

Was this the pre-fazor LCD-2? From what I gather the two sound a bit different, I've only heard the pre-fazor personally.

I understand that, never really got into photography personally, though I have a cousin that's really good at and into photography. Those two used to be high-end, well they are still high-end, it's better to call the current flagships ultra high-ends. There really weren't near as many ultra-high end headphones back then. There was the Orpheus, HE-60, R10, K1000, various STAX's, and the Koss stat that were at the pinnacle. It's an eye-opening experience to hear how speakers, headphones, and various gear haven't really improved much over the years. I find there are more good headphones and speakers now and the baseline seems to be better, but the pinnacle hasn't improved.

True, I didn't find the LCD-2 all that hard to drive when I auditioned them at length. I've come across many orthos that are fairly hard to drive, some being harder to drive than the K712. Many AKGs seem to be just as hard to drive as some power-hungry Orthos.

Thank you, I amkeeping my eyes open. If I can find something to satisfy me for cheaper I will go for it as well. I'm a bit worried about the EL-8 as I've heard lots of mixed things about it. I am hopeful about the Audioquest Nighthawk, I'm waiting for longer-term impressions and what my friend will say about them after owning them for some time.

I'm not sure why but with the K712 I always have to adjust to their sound for like 30 minutes after listening to the HD 600, HD 650, and DT 150 for a while. They sound overly sharp to my ears at first, yet oddly once I adjust to them it goes away. Most headphones I find sharp bother me more with more listening. So it made me realize it's just a presentation difference in the treble. I have found the K712 the least fatiguing to my ears of my headphones once I adjust to them.

May 25, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #3,857 of 6,349
Was this the pre-fazor LCD-2? From what I gather the two sound a bit different, I've only heard the pre-fazor personally.

I understand that. Those two used to be high-end, well they are still high-end, it's better to call the current flagships ultra high-ends. There really weren't near as many ultra-high end headphones back then. There was the Orpheus, HE-60, R10, K1000, various STAX's, and the Koss stat that were at the pinnacle. It's an eye-opening experience to hear how speakers, headphones, and various gear haven't really improved much over the years. I find there are more good headphones and speakers now and the baseline seems to be better, but the pinnacle hasn't improved.

True, I didn't find the LCD-2 all that hard to drive when I auditioned them at length. I've come across many orthos that are fairly hard to drive, some being harder to drive than the K712. Many AKGs seem to be just as hard to drive as some power-hungry Orthos.

Thank you, I amkeeping my eyes open. If I can find something to satisfy me for cheaper I will go for it as well. I'm a bit worried about the EL-8 as I've heard lots of mixed things about it. I am hopeful about the Audioquest Nighthawk, I'm waiting for longer-term impressions and what my friend will say about them after owning them for some time.

I'm not sure why but with the K712 I always have to adjust to their sound for like 30 minutes after listening to the HD 600, HD 650, and DT 150 for a while. They sound overly sharp to my ears at first, yet oddly once I adjust to them it goes away. Most headphones I find sharp bother me more with more listening. So it made me realize it's just a presentation difference in the treble. I have found the K712 the least fatiguing to my ears of my headphones once I adjust to them.

For which genre of music are thinking the LCD-2?

May 25, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,858 of 6,349
For which genre of music are thinking the LCD-2?

I listen to a bit of everything, so looking for a headphone that does most genres well. It's alright if it doesn't do a couple genres great, as long as it does things like electronic, acoustic, rock, folk, new age, etc. right. Classical, it's okay if it isn't great, even though I enjoy classical I don't listen to it often.

May 25, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3,859 of 6,349

I understand that. Those two used to be high-end, well they are still high-end, it's better to call the current flagships ultra high-ends. There really weren't near as many ultra-high end headphones back then. There was the Orpheus, HE-60, R10, K1000, various STAX's, and the Koss stat that were at the pinnacle. It's an eye-opening experience to hear how speakers, headphones, and various gear haven't really improved much over the years. I find there are more good headphones and speakers now and the baseline seems to be better, but the pinnacle hasn't improved.

Yes the pre fazor Bamboo I had.

I'm also finding the K712's none fatiguing, less so than the HD600 which is a surprise for me. Going from one headphone to another I need quite a bit of adjustment time as well. The sound is much smaller and airier with the Senn's compared to the big bubble of warmth of the AKG's. The 712's still have quite a bite in the treble however and this can sound quite sharp with certain instruments. I welcome this as it adds the dynamic needed for over the dark signature. But the treble is not as bright at the top as the previous KXXX and the HD600 for that matter.

These are going to be growers for me, I'm liking them more each day as I get more accustomed to the sound sig. The detail retrieval is very good and is not too far off the HD800 apart from when the music gets very complex and busy and this is where the HD800 are unbeatable.

So at this stage I'm very pleased with the K712. I'll post some more impressions soon.        

May 25, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #3,860 of 6,349
  Yes the pre fazor Bamboo I had.

I'm also finding the K712's none fatiguing, less so than the HD600 which is a surprise for me. Going from one headphone to another I need quite a bit of adjustment time as well. The sound is much smaller and airier with the Senn's compared to the big bubble of warmth of the AKG's. The 712's still have quite a bite in the treble however and this can sound quite sharp with certain instruments. I welcome this as it adds the dynamic needed for over the dark signature. But the treble is not as bright at the top as the previous KXXX and the HD600 for that matter.

These are going to be growers for me, I'm liking them more each day as I get more accustomed to the sound sig. The detail retrieval is very good and is not too far off the HD800 apart from when the music gets very complex and busy and this is where the HD800 are unbeatable.

So at this stage I'm very pleased with the K712. I'll post some more impressions soon.       

I've heard the fazor is not quite as warm, just a tad brighter and more controlled sounding. Would like to hear a pair as I will likely get a fazor. I feel kind of mixed about the bite of the K712, it kind of deters me to listening to them at first despite not fatiguing me.

I personally find the sound more spacious and larger on the K712 than the HD 600. More like it can range from smaller to bigger depending on the recording. The K712 is more revealing than the HD 600 and seems to show the sense of space in a recording better than my other headphones. 

I realized the K712 is a headphone I will never let go of personally.

May 28, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #3,861 of 6,349
I listen to a bit of everything, so looking for a headphone that does most genres well. It's alright if it doesn't do a couple genres great, as long as it does things like electronic, acoustic, rock, folk, new age, etc. right. Classical, it's okay if it isn't great, even though I enjoy classical I don't listen to it often.

Oh okay. Then it sounds like LCD-2 might be an excellent headphone for you. Another option would be HE-560, both of which are opposite signatures.

May 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,862 of 6,349
^^ I agree with those music types and the LCD2. 

Compared with the K712, they have a narrower sound-stage but are similarly intimate, where you feel like you are in the middle of the band/instruments. There is no extra "bite" in the treble of the lcd2 but once you get accustomed to the smooth planar freq's its hard to listen to any other dynamic hp's without missing this refinement. 

The bass is quite similar in quantity, but extends better and appears fuller with more impact. So as long as a large sound-stage isn't a priority I think you will really like them.

It looks like I'll be selling my HD600... I've been swapping back and forth for just under a week now haha and I can't see me using the Senn's very often if at all in the near future. My initial concerns have gone with brain burn in. To begin with, they sounded boxy but now I realize it is because they are half closed and with this some adjustment time is needed. When you put a fully open hp on your head the ambient noise doesn't change. With any closed back or semi closed hp the ambient noise is compressed and this has an affect on your senses and the music. Weird but...

The K712's make music exciting to me! they're so dynamic. Smooth as butter in the mids, lively in the treble when needed, and the soundstage is pretty much spot on. Imaging is close but not intrusive so solo instruments and voices come across brilliantly clear.  Detail retrieval has always been a strong point for AKG and these pick out enough without coming across as analytical. Although some details are emphasised in the lower treble (Making some instruments seem a little sharper than neutral) this IMO helps to make the sound more dynamic as a whole. It would be just too warm and boring otherwise. 

Ofcourse nothing is perfect...

2 things I would change for my personal preference- The bass to be knocked down a notch or two, and a little less clamping force. The former I've amended with EQ but I'm hoping the pads ease over time a little. 

Overall this is a great headphone for all types of music. Music sounds fun, lively and smooth but they are not what I would call neutral by any means, so if that is what you are looking for stay clear. 

May 28, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #3,863 of 6,349
  ^^ I agree with those music types and the LCD2. 

Compared with the K712, they have a narrower sound-stage but are similarly intimate, where you feel like you are in the middle of the band/instruments. There is no extra "bite" in the treble of the lcd2 but once you get accustomed to the smooth planar freq's its hard to listen to any other dynamic hp's without missing this refinement. 

The bass is quite similar in quantity, but extends better and appears fuller with more impact. So as long as a large sound-stage isn't a priority I think you will really like them.

It looks like I'll be selling my HD600... I've been swapping back and forth for just under a week now haha and I can't see me using the Senn's very often if at all in the near future. My initial concerns have gone with brain burn in. To begin with, they sounded boxy but now I realize it is because they are half closed and with this some adjustment time is needed. When you put a fully open hp on your head the ambient noise doesn't change. With any closed back or semi closed hp the ambient noise is compressed and this has an affect on your senses and the music. Weird but...

The K712's make music exciting to me! they're so dynamic. Smooth as butter in the mids, lively in the treble when needed, and the soundstage is pretty much spot on. Imaging is close but not intrusive so solo instruments and voices come across brilliantly clear.  Detail retrieval has always been a strong point for AKG and these pick out enough without coming across as analytical. Although some details are emphasised in the lower treble (Making some instruments seem a little sharper than neutral) this IMO helps to make the sound more dynamic as a whole. It would be just too warm and boring otherwise. 

Ofcourse nothing is perfect...

2 things I would change for my personal preference- The bass to be knocked down a notch or two, and a little less clamping force. The former I've amended with EQ but I'm hoping the pads ease over time a little. 

Overall this is a great headphone for all types of music. Music sounds fun, lively and smooth but they are not what I would call neutral by any means, so if that is what you are looking for stay clear. 

Sounds like it will be a good choice and going by my auditioning of them, they sound like it.

I personally found the K712 and HD 600 quite similar overall. The K712 will smooth out in the lower treble and the bass will settle at around the HD 600's level after burn-in and pad break-in but with more depth and control, I do remember my pair excessively warm when I first got them.

The boxiness and and semi-open effect is not my experience with them. Sadly I've had them too long to recall if I had this effect in the beginning or not due to the pads not being broken in, I mainly recall more warmth. But just to be sure, can you see inside the the capsule(where you can see hints of the wires and screws) where it says K712 in good lighting or do you see a foam under it? 

May 28, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,864 of 6,349
  Sounds like it will be a good choice and going by my auditioning of them, they sound like it.

I personally found the K712 and HD 600 quite similar overall. The K712 will smooth out in the lower treble and the bass will settle at around the HD 600's level after burn-in and pad break-in but with more depth and control, I do remember my pair excessively warm when I first got them.

The boxiness and and semi-open effect is not my experience with them. Sadly I've had them too long to recall if I had this effect in the beginning or not due to the pads not being broken in, I mainly recall more warmth. But just to be sure, can you see inside the the capsule(where you can see hints of the wires and screws) where it says K712 in good lighting or do you see a foam under it? 

I'll have a look tonight (at work at the mo) 

Should there be foam in there?? 

May 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,865 of 6,349
  I'll have a look tonight (at work at the mo) 

Should there be foam in there?? 

My pair doesn't have it and older pairs don't. The K7XX does though, so I'm just curious if they may of added the foam to the K712 in more recent versions. It would be interesting to see if they made the K712 more like the warmer K7XX or not. The foam is also one difference between the K701/2 and the Q701. 

May 28, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3,866 of 6,349
  My pair doesn't have it and older pairs don't. The K7XX does though, so I'm just curious if they may of added the foam to the K712 in more recent versions. It would be interesting to see if they made the K712 more like the warmer K7XX or not. The foam is also one difference between the K701/2 and the Q701. 

I'm intrigued now, I'll check as soon as I get home. 

May 28, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3,867 of 6,349
  I'm intrigued now, I'll check as soon as I get home. 

Just checked and I can't see any foam... 

I think it's just my personal preference regarding the bass - its just too much for me. As time goes on I'm appreciating the quality of the bass however and when I do listen with the bass as normal it does now sound controlled. I would just have it more balanced with the top end ideally. 

Because I use vintage amps these days, all I do is turn the bass down a couple of steps and bingo - perfect (for me!) :)

May 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,868 of 6,349
 Just checked and I can't see any foam... 

I think it's just my personal preference regarding the bass - its just too much for me. As time goes on I'm appreciating the quality of the bass however and when I do listen with the bass as normal it does now sound controlled. I would just have it more balanced with the top end ideally. 

Because I use vintage amps these days, all I do is turn the bass down a couple of steps and bingo - perfect (for me!) :)

Okay, so they are still different than the K7XX then. True, the bass should calm down with more use as the pads break in more as that's what happened with my pair. Could also be system differences as well. I much prefer the bass on the K712, some reason when I try to get the bass impact going on my HD 600 and HD 650 with a more dynamic tube, it really bothers my ears and causes bass fatigue. Oddly this doesn't happen as quite as often with the sealed Beyer DT 150 and never with the K712. 

May 29, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3,869 of 6,349
A week after receiving these orange n' black bad boys... 

I love them!! 

I was initially a little dubious of the price increase with what I'd read of the changes/improvements?. But it does look like AKG have listened to people's gripes over the years on forums such as this. Some folk will complain that they are milking a dead horse.. (just made that one up :) But if you can improve on an already great design - it makes sense to me. Better than starting from scratch again right? 

Anyways.. The main thing is, these have replaced my beloved HD800 (money reasons) for the foreseeable future. So in my book they are a great headphone. And if anyone knows of a better mid-tier hp..? Please let me know of it! 

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #3,870 of 6,349
I'm not sure if I should go with K712 Pro or the Q701. I'm interested in competitive gaming but I also want music and movies to sound good. Is K712 the best of both worlds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back