The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
May 16, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,841 of 6,349
May I ask a basic question. I am getting into Hauptwerk computerized pipe organs. It mimics the actual sound of a real pipe organ.

The question is that almost everyone is using either the AKG 701, 702 or 712. What is the difference between these three? Is the higher number meaning better or are they all different.

May 16, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #3,842 of 6,349
May I ask a basic question. I am getting into Hauptwerk computerized pipe organs. It mimics the actual sound of a real pipe organ.

The question is that almost everyone is using either the AKG 701, 702 or 712. What is the difference between these three? Is the higher number meaning better or are they all different.

The K701 and the K702's are pretty much identical in sound and form except for the colour and the fact that the K702's have a detachable cable while K701 doesn't (but K701 includes a headphone stand). The older K701/K702's had these hard bumps on the headband that most people couldn't stand from comfort standpoint, but the newer versions now have flat headbands like the later K7XX and K712 models so this is no longer an issue.

The K712's are the latest iteration of the K7** series and it differs in sound from the K701/K702 in that it has more bass and warmth in sacrificing bit of air and soundstage (it brings about this change mainly through their new memory foam pads that are not angled). I wouldn't necessarily call it "better" than the older K701/2's, just different, but due to their warmer nature majority of the people find them more agreeable in sound signature in comparison (K701/2's have the reputation of being too airy/dry for many people).

May 16, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #3,844 of 6,349
While I haven't owned the K712's before I did own the 65th Anniversary editions which should be equal from the comfort standpoint... the comfort is great as the bottom side of the headband is now flat without pressure points, and the memory foam pads are nice and soft and comforms nicely to the shape of your face (while the K701/2 pads are of harder spring foam). The earpads are big enough that your ears shouldn't touch anywhere on the pads or on the inner fabric. The earcups themselves have a nice degree of movement in all directions so it should lay on your face perfectly. And the overall weight is quite light as well. In all a very comfy headphone IMO.

May 20, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,847 of 6,349
My nearly two year old phones started to suffer from the dreaded bass rattle when connected to both of my sources (SBZ and Denon 1713) so I will be sending them in to AKG/Harmon Canada. I chose these over the T90's since I disliked how sibilant the 880's were, but want to actually try them out.

May 24, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3,848 of 6,349
Been meaning to try these since they emerged, so I snapped some up this week since the price has now dropped a bit. Always been a fan of the KXXX series and have owned quite a few including early K701.

So, what do I think of these? 

Well they're very bassy! The treble is lovely. Still a nice bite but no nasal annoyance at the lower end. There is much more depth to the image and as has been mentioned many times the soundstage is more balanced.  

But that bass... I've had to tone it down a little! To my ears it's leaning the freq balance too much south. The mids definitely benefit from the warmth but there is too much of a hump. This is making them sound a little slower than the earlier K's. So I've found that a 2db decrease nearer the bottom helps. 

Now I know probably more than most how finicky these are to amp. I've experimented a lot with different amps and this series of hp's. My last pair of K701's from a year ago responded very well to a bit of vintage power. So I'm using the same NAD amp with the 712's today. This amp has a low impedance out but loads of raw power. But it is an amp that tilts to the warm side - Not much, but it does. This will be adding to the bass with the 712's. 

Still early days with these so this is just some early impressions. I've been getting buy with the trusty HD600's recently after selling the HD800 (needed cash). So I'm looking to stay with an endgame mid-tier hp for the foreseeable future. But who will win?? HD600 or K712? Really not sure as yet. 

May 24, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,849 of 6,349
I'm starting think that I'll be keeping both the 712's and HD600. 

My music preferences are mostly classical and jazz. The Senn's are brilliant with orchestral music especially with the more open/free sound and incredible tone. The AKG's really excel in their sense of space - ensemble music and Jazz benefit from this. The K712's have much more depth than their siblings and the tonality is very, very good now. Acoustic instruments come across authentically and with a nice smoothness. Where as I used to wince at the trumpet sometimes with previous KXXX with jazz, it is pretty much spot on now. The treble is not far off the HE500 from memory and infact might be as good. But the word 'smooth' keeps springing to mind and this is rare with any dynamic hp. They are smoother than the hd600 for sure. The Senn's have always had a little grit in the lower treble. 

This is all with the bass wacked way down. There is serious bloom otherwise..

But the good news is, the 712's are not far off an Audeze with big soundstage and a little more bite! Infact thats how I'd describe them.    

May 24, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3,850 of 6,349
  I'm starting think that I'll be keeping both the 712's and HD600. 

My music preferences are mostly classical and jazz. The Senn's are brilliant with orchestral music especially with the more open/free sound and incredible tone. The AKG's really excel in their sense of space - ensemble music and Jazz benefit from this. The K712's have much more depth than their siblings and the tonality is very, very good now. Acoustic instruments come across authentically and with a nice smoothness. Where as I used to wince at the trumpet sometimes with previous KXXX with jazz, it is pretty much spot on now. The treble is not far off the HE500 from memory and infact might be as good. But the word 'smooth' keeps springing to mind and this is rare with any dynamic hp. They are smoother than the hd600 for sure. The Senn's have always had a little grit in the lower treble. 

This is all with the bass wacked way down. There is serious bloom otherwise..

But the good news is, the 712's are not far off an Audeze with big soundstage and a little more bite! Infact thats how I'd describe them.    

That's interesting you get more bass with the K712 than the HD 600, I find the HD 600 more bloomish bass wise than the K712 while the K712 has similar amounts of bass but is tighter and deeper. I do find the HD 600 does have some grit to it's sound, I don't find the HD 650 to have this grit though. I find the K712 does have some bite in the treble though, it takes some getting used when I listen to my other headphones though. 

May 24, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,851 of 6,349
  That's interesting you get more bass with the K712 than the HD 600, I find the HD 600 more bloomish bass wise than the K712 while the K712 has similar amounts of bass but is tighter and deeper. I do find the HD 600 does have some grit to it's sound, I don't find the HD 650 to have this grit though. I find the K712 does have some bite in the treble though, it takes some getting used when I listen to my other headphones though. 

Its soo long ago that I had the 650's it would be unfair for me to use them in any comparison now.. ~Other than I loved them (for 5-6 years!) 

But in regards to the bass, which is my only real beef with the k712. It is just far too much for my ears.. Makes them sound 'boxy'. I also know what you mean with the hd600, as the bass is defo not their strong point, apart from in respect to balance. I'm finding that after lowering the bass on the K's that it is very tight and extends very well -agreed.

I thought it may be because of the amount of power I'm feeding them, but I have tried them on a Beresford headphone amp that has much less power than my NAD and they still had the same amount of bass - only much looser.    

May 24, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3,852 of 6,349
  Its soo long ago that I had the 650's it would be unfair for me to use them in any comparison now.. ~Other than I loved them (for 5-6 years!) 

But in regards to the bass, which is my only real beef with the k712. It is just far too much for my ears.. Makes them sound 'boxy'. I also know what you mean with the hd600, as the bass is defo not their strong point, apart from in respect to balance. I'm finding that after lowering the bass on the K's that it is very tight and extends very well -agreed.

I thought it may be because of the amount of power I'm feeding them, but I have tried them on a Beresford headphone amp that has much less power than my NAD and they still had the same amount of bass - only much looser.    

I do really enjoy the HD 650, but I feel I want to step up to the next level headphone wise, I do plan on selling a few headphones.

I find the K712 has the least bloomish bass of all my headphones, I wonder if it's because they may be an older pair with a ton of use, pad wear, etc., I've had mine for a while now and they are an Austrian made pair. They are the headphone I've had the longest in my headphone stable. 

I'm using mine on the Lyr 2, they gained a bit more bass on the amp from my previous amp, but it also became tighter and better defined. 

May 24, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,853 of 6,349
^You can never give these enough power ime, they soak it up haha

Just be careful what you wish for if you are selling your 650... (They are all about the music and a great hp)

However, the headphone I would recommend for you, if you are a fan of both AKG and hd600/650 is the HD800. It is on another level, and whatever amp makes your current Senn's happy will be fine with them. 

Lots more money, but I'm only saying this because I bought a lot of headphones leading up to the hd800 and I ended up spending a lot, lot more. 

May 24, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #3,854 of 6,349
  ^You can never give these enough power ime, they soak it up haha

Just be careful what you wish for if you are selling your 650... (They are all about the music and a great hp)

However, the headphone I would recommend for you, if you are a fan of both AKG and hd600/650 is the HD800. It is on another level, and whatever amp makes your current Senn's happy will be fine with them. 

Lots more money, but I'm only saying this because I bought a lot of headphones leading up to the hd800 and I ended up spending a lot, lot more. 

True, they just eat up more power.

I am considering selling them, not sure yet though. They are all about music, I was thinking about possibly getting the LCD-2 or something on the slightly dark side focused more on music listening.

I've heard the HD 800 numerous times, I like it, but not sure if it's necessarily what I want.

I understand that, I honestly wish I got some of the headphones I got now earlier instead of spending money on other headphones. 

May 25, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #3,855 of 6,349
  True, they just eat up more power.

I am considering selling them, not sure yet though. They are all about music, I was thinking about possibly getting the LCD-2 or something on the slightly dark side focused more on music listening.

I've heard the HD 800 numerous times, I like it, but not sure if it's necessarily what I want.

I understand that, I honestly wish I got some of the headphones I got now earlier instead of spending money on other headphones. 

I'm a big fan of the LCD2, it is amazing for Jazz/acoustic music - the tonality once you get accustomed to them is second to none! (haven't heard the LCD3 though) . But I found it struggled with larger classical works. I can hear similarities with the K712's and not just the darker tone - its the the depth and velvety mids. I sold mine when I went for the HD800, ideally those two hp's would be my endgame - one for classical and one for Jazz. 

These days I'm balancing my monies with my other passion photography, so thats why I've stepped down to mid-tier set ups. Although I don't like the labels we have these days, as it wasn't that long ago that the K701 and HD600 were the high enders! 

Another plus with the LCD2 is how easy they are to drive, they are not like normal planars in this respect. I wouldn't plug them into an iphone but any decent amp will do, seriously!

Good luck with your next purchase! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back