The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #2,986 of 6,349

I found it the opposite, I really like it and find it funner at higher volumes better, but that's once I tame the treble spike a bit with some tube rolling. For quieter listening I much prefer my K612 as I think it sounds better at lower volumes than the K712.

Interesting, I'm tempted with K612, but I'll wait for a good buy on a K501 instead.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,988 of 6,349
k501 is very overrated. Not sure who started the hype machine on those. It usually will take a year to find one if you don't use Ebay/Paypal. I finally found one and got rid of it once I got the Q701 and had the K601.

If you want a taste of the K501 sound, the K400 is quite similar. I have two of them now and with my Q701 around they don't get much use. I still like them though. They sound like a poor man's Q701 and lack low bass a LOT. The low bass is worse than even the K501. They're great for female vocals though.

I've seen graphs of the K612 on Goldenears and they do look like they have less treble peaks. Strangely enough the K601 itself was close to being dark overall already! Not sure if i'd like the K612. It's cheap so I may get one.

K601 was one of my favorite headphones and I used it over the K702, but not the Q701. I actually had the K601 and Q701 together for several years.

Oh and K501 definitely has the larger soundstage out of any headphone i've ever heard. It's almost too large! Playing Fallout 3 with that on your head is quite the experience. Go into Tenpenny Tower with that and you feel as if you're right there and everything is outside your head.

BTW to me the K601 always sounded like a mix of the K702 and HD-600. K601 was always warmer than the K701 but not the Q701. K601 felt better for rock music and metal than the Q701 for whatever reason. OK, I didn't really listen to metal unless you can call Primus that. Primus always sounded good on the K601!

There's been a K501 on Amazon for about 2 years for $999. You'd have to be stupid to buy that. It's not even worth $300. You'd have to probably pay $200-$300 to acquire one unless you're lucky and constantly check Ebay.

Oh and the K400 is usually going for $100. I got mine last year on Amazon for $65! Came in a stinky old box from probably 20 years ago (or seemed like it!). The headphone was mint but smelled a little dusty.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #2,989 of 6,349
  k501 is very overrated. Not sure who started the hype machine on those. It usually will take a year to find one if you don't use Ebay/Paypal. I finally found one and got rid of it once I got the Q701 and had the K601.

If you want a taste of the K501 sound, the K400 is quite similar. I have two of them now and with my Q701 around they don't get much use. I still like them though. They sound like a poor man's Q701 and lack low bass a LOT. The low bass is worse than even the K501. They're great for female vocals though.

I've seen graphs of the K612 on Goldenears and they do look like they have less treble peaks. Strangely enough the K601 itself was close to being dark overall already! Not sure if i'd like the K612. It's cheap so I may get one.

K601 was one of my favorite headphones and I used it over the K702, but not the Q701. I actually had the K601 and Q701 together for several years.

Oh and K501 definitely has the larger soundstage out of any headphone i've ever heard. It's almost too large! Playing Fallout 3 with that on your head is quite the experience. Go into Tenpenny Tower with that and you feel as if you're right there and everything is outside your head.

BTW to me the K601 always sounded like a mix of the K702 and HD-600. K601 was always warmer than the K701 but not the Q701. K601 felt better for rock music and metal than the Q701 for whatever reason. OK, I didn't really listen to metal unless you can call Primus that. Primus always sounded good on the K601!

There's been a K501 on Amazon for about 2 years for $999. You'd have to be stupid to buy that. It's not even worth $300. You'd have to probably pay $200-$300 to acquire one unless you're lucky and constantly check Ebay.

Oh and the K400 is usually going for $100. I got mine last year on Amazon for $65! Came in a stinky old box from probably 20 years ago (or seemed like it!). The headphone was mint but smelled a little dusty.

That doesn't surprise me some reason. Most overhyped headphones I ended up not liking all that much.

I thought the K612 was warmer than the Q701, it's not K712 warm but is definitely more present in the mids than the K712, although the K712 is a bit brighter in mid-upper treble.

I have to agree with that, even the K612 sounds a like a mix of the HD 600 and K702. I would like the HD 600 a lot more if it actually managed to engage me, there is this odd disconnect I get with a variety of Senns. Regardless, I will likely end up with either the HD 650 or HD 600 in the future.

I have to agree, some reason the K612 just sounds really good with rock and metal, my K712 just doesn't touch the K612 for those genres.

Sounds like you got a great deal there. Reminds me of when I got my HD 545(part of the HD 600 family) for about $70, easily the best sounding headphone I got below $100.

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #2,990 of 6,349
Well I am breathing a sigh of relief, just tried the coiled cable and the sound isn't cutting out on the right side so it must be the orange cable that's broken somewhere along it's eighty foot length. 
tongue_smile.gif
 The 712's are so light and delicate I feared the worst, the return postage to Germany would have been pretty steep as well.

Anyone know where to get replacement cables in the UK, will any AKG with the three pin work.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_kopfhoererersatzkabel_k141171240271_studio.htm

Got my Ultrasone replacements from these nice people, this will do yes, unless anyone knows where to get the orange one from.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,992 of 6,349
Hi guys I purchased the K712's last month now or so and I believe I have uncovered a slight problem with the right ear cup, When you move the ear cup all the way in then slightly pull it back again, there is friction and when there on my head all I hear is a friction/creaking noise when I move my head, it gets infuriating at times when I'm watching a movie or listening to music.

Anyone else have this?, My left ear cup is not like that, it's smooth with no creaking thanks.

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,993 of 6,349
  I wonder if using the Q701 cable on the K712 would make it sound more like a Q701
evil_smiley.gif

Probably not, the pads change the sound signature more than the cable, they may even use the same cable, I changed cables to an aftermarket cable and while the sound did improve in basically every aspect slightly it also pretty much retained the sound signature for the most part. In my experience cables(given they are higher quality than stock) generally give that extra bit of refinement, coherency, and transparency, rarely do they change the sound signature much in my experience unless they are going from bad quality to good quality and vice versa. And maybe silver vs copper to a lesser degree.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,994 of 6,349

Probably not, the pads change the sound signature more than the cable, they may even use the same cable, I changed cables to an aftermarket cable and while the sound did improve in basically every aspect slightly it also pretty much retained the sound signature for the most part. In my experience cables(given they are higher quality than stock) generally give that extra bit of refinement, coherency, and transparency, rarely do they change the sound signature much in my experience unless they are going from bad quality to good quality and vice versa. And maybe silver vs copper to a lesser degree.

Ya but I wasn't totally serious either huehehe

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #2,995 of 6,349
Didn't like the K712. Good headphones, but nowhere near the HD800 nor HD650. Bass and lower mids were way too dominat, at least with my G-109 here. The comfort was quite good. Imaging and soundstage excellent, but there's something strange happening with the upper mids/lower highs. Couldn't get used to it.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,996 of 6,349
Didn't like the K712. Good headphones, but nowhere near the HD800 nor HD650. Bass and lower mids were way too dominat, at least with my G-109 here. The comfort was quite good. Imaging and soundstage excellent, but there's something strange happening with the upper mids/lower highs. Couldn't get used to it.

Were the upper mids a bit brash sounding? Because I definitely noticed brashness in that region on some systems with the K712. I would say they are just as good as the HD 650 if not better with the right synergy. The HD 800 is definitely more refined but I'm not much of a fan of its sound signature.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,997 of 6,349
Were the upper mids a bit brash sounding? Because I definitely noticed brashness in that region on some systems with the K712. I would say they are just as good as the HD 650 if not better with the right synergy. The HD 800 is definitely more refined but I'm not much of a fan of its sound signature.

Sorry, don't know what you mean with brash. IMO The K712 had a very dark presentation with that peak at around 9kHz shining through, almost the complete opposite to my K701s. I don't know why, but I found them "harder" to listen to, if this makes any sense. They didn't sound anywhere like the HD650s. More like the K550, but with more bass/lower mids.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,999 of 6,349
  Well I am breathing a sigh of relief, just tried the coiled cable and the sound isn't cutting out on the right side so it must be the orange cable that's broken somewhere along it's eighty foot length. 
tongue_smile.gif
 The 712's are so light and delicate I feared the worst, the return postage to Germany would have been pretty steep as well.

Anyone know where to get replacement cables in the UK, will any AKG with the three pin work.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_kopfhoererersatzkabel_k141171240271_studio.htm

Got my Ultrasone replacements from these nice people, this will do yes, unless anyone knows where to get the orange one from.

Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-New-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-AKG-Q701-K702-K271s-240s-Headphones-/310798134910?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item485d032e7e

Looks nice to me.  Plus it's not ridiculously long for home use.  I can't think of any situation where I need a 3m cable.  If I'm that far away, that's what speakers are for.  Plus you got the coiled cable still that's plenty long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back