The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,956 of 6,349
Making a cable that is light, flexible and the length you want is worth it on most cans. Grab a soldering iron, watch a few YouTube videos and get to work.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,959 of 6,349
Cause they are twice cheaper ?
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #2,960 of 6,349
Cause they are twice cheaper ? :p

That's part of it. It's sound signature is quite different. I find the K712 has a more polarizing sound signature than the K612. The K612 is more of a linear sounding headphone and honestly does have some advantages sonically over the K712 although I find the K712 to be slightly better sonically overall but in the same league. Comfort, sound signature, and build quality is what really separates them for me not sound quality(at least on my system, upgrading my system may make a gap between the two or may not). The pads on the K712 are a lot more comfortable, they are deeper and never itch.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #2,961 of 6,349
Yeah, lighter, and more flexible and for home use, more reasonable length.  

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,962 of 6,349
That's part of it. It's sound signature is quite different. I find the K712 has a more polarizing sound signature than the K612. The K612 is more of a linear sounding headphone and honestly does have some advantages sonically over the K712 although I find the K712 to be slightly better sonically overall but in the same league. Comfort, sound signature, and build quality is what really separates them for me not sound quality(at least on my system, upgrading my system may make a gap between the two or may not). The pads on the K712 are a lot more comfortable, they are deeper and never itch.

hmm, I tried the K612s, and while I thought they were good, the lower treble had some weird emphasis that made voices sound unnatural. I don't know if it was just my ears, but something was a little off with the sound signature. That being said, they had a very similar sound signature to the Sennheiser HD 600s, but the HD 600s sounded a bit more natural and less linear. Since you have both the K612 and K712, does the K712 really have as much bass as it shows on the frequency graphs? If so, it might be too much for me.

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,963 of 6,349
hmm, I tried the K612s, and while I thought they were good, the lower treble had some weird emphasis that made voices sound unnatural. I don't know if it was just my ears, but something was a little off with the sound signature. That being said, they had a very similar sound signature to the Sennheiser HD 600s, but the HD 600s sounded a bit more natural and less linear. Since you have both the K612 and K712, does the K712 really have as much bass as it shows on the frequency graphs? If so, it might be too much for me.

I found that a problem with the K612 as well, while that issue doesn't happen on my system, that oddness in the upper midrange can rear it's head when I change amps or tubes. That's the K612s biggest problem and it makes proper system matching vital for it to sound fully natural. The 2khz peak is what causes the K612s problem, that and sound isn't quite as smooth and refined as the K7xx series. The K712 has a lot more midbass and upper bass than the K612, it may not be for you because of that.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,965 of 6,349
I found that a problem with the K612 as well, while that issue doesn't happen on my system, that oddness in the upper midrange can rear it's head when I change amps or tubes. That's the K612s biggest problem and it makes proper system matching vital for it to sound fully natural. 

K612 with Vali ok?

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,969 of 6,349
Found the cable, left it in the box. Think I've damaged the right hand side somehow, give it a prod it cuts out. Assuming those two delicate cables leading into the cup are the ones providing the sound I can't see any damage. Need to find the warranty card - which of course I didn't leave in the box, duh! To check how long the guarantee is, not happy having a pair of three hundred quid headphones damaged because I laid on a soft pillow with them on.

This is why I loved my Ultrasone's, they are flat and built like a tank. The sound doesn't match the K712's though. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #2,970 of 6,349
I think for K712 it's same as the K551, 2 year warranty.  

And if it's out of warranty, not a big deal, you can probably fix it by resoldering.  Resolder both on the left side for the wires leading to the right side and of course the right side.

Also I don't need my K712 to be built like a tank, I'm not using them on the go.  It stays on my desk.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back