The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,971 of 6,349

I wish I had money like you did. Then I could cave in as well.

Check the for sale section.  May find the K712 at a good price.  Many Head-Fier's take care of their headphones as if they are their babies.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #2,974 of 6,349
Man, this thread is awful.  Reading the first 100 pages of this thread is just terrible.  Just arguement from those who have the K712 and believing it's different vs those who assume it's just a Q701 with different pads.  Just awful.  HD650 thread isn't filled with people assuming it's just a HD600 with different pads or different dampening.  I don't really much care, just care that the half this thread is filled with nonsense, it's too bad.

So for those looking for info, don't bother reading the first 100 pages of this thread.  After first 100, you will read that those who have heard the K702-65 and K712 and hear differences.  It isn't until after first 100 you'll read posts worth reading, not moron speculations.

I would even go as far as to recommend the first 100 pages be chopped off, deleted, thrown in the garbage bin.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,975 of 6,349
  Man, this thread is awful.  Reading the first 100 pages of this thread is just terrible.  Just arguement from those who have the K712 and believing it's different vs those who assume it's just a Q701 with different pads.  Just awful.  HD650 thread isn't filled with people assuming it's just a HD600 with different pads or different dampening.  I don't really much care, just care that the half this thread is filled with nonsense, it's too bad.

Well Sennheiser didn't multiplicate iterations of HD6X0 Line as AKG did with K701 .

At first  K701, K702 both identical flat non angled pad at first non memory foam .

1)Then Q701 with Angled pad , angled pad that latter generalised to the other K70X .
2) K702 ANV Flat pad with memory foam
3)K712 Pro "non limited version of K702 ANV"  some say that early K702 ANV Pads differ a bit from latter K702 ANV pads wich are the same as current K712 Pro one .

So it's why there is a lot people wondering if the only differences result of different pads etc

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,976 of 6,349

Well Sennheiser didn't multiplicate iterations of HD6X0 Line as AKG did with K701 .

At first  K701, K702 both identical flat non angled pad at first non memory foam .

1)Then Q701 with Angled pad , angled pad that latter generalised to the other K70X .
2) K702 ANV Flat pad with memory foam
3)K712 Pro "non limited version of K702 ANV"  some say that early K702 ANV Pads differ a bit from latter K702 ANV pads wich are the same as current K712 Pro one .

So it's why there is a lot people wondering if the only differences result of different pads etc

What are you talking about?  They did.  If you just take the drivers from the HD600, HD580 and HD650 and visually look at them, I doubt anyone could tell the difference.  They are interchangeable in the headphone frames.  

You can do the same with Audio Technica.  Visually the drivers for AD900x, AD1000x and AD2000x look identical.  The housing are nearly identical as well.

The drivers can be tuned differently while still looking the same.  Also can be said for the housing and dampening.  But that doesn't mean they are the same headphones.  You can tune drives differently and still have identical specs.

Everyone should accept that headphones are not just appearance.  They are housing, dampening, padding, drivers and more.  You can have headphones nearly identical in appearance but sound different, for various reasons.  Which means it's not prudent to grab headphone A and say it's just headphone C with blank.  Headphone A is headphone A because of blank, that's what a headphone is. 

I expressed my opinion this thread should be about K712 and comparison to other headphones and impressions.  The speculations to me added nothing to the appreciation of the K712.  And just find it ludicrous that so much time would be spent on this speculation when plenty of other headphones have something similar.  And yet people accept those headphones are their own headphones.  I don't see why AKG should be held to a different pedestal.  

Also go ahead, find ways to mod your Q701 to sound like a K712.  Probably can do it since the drivers appear very similar, same specs, mess around with the dampening, housing.  If you got spare cash, try throwing a Q701 driver into a K712 and see if it sounds the same.  Wouldn't shock me, but headphones are not just drivers.  When you buy the K712 you're not just getting pair of drivers.  That's my point.

I see no problems with AKG releasing the K712.  It seems they listened.  K701/K702 threads are filled with people wanting more bass, less treble emphasis and K712 delivered, for those who wanted that.  If you don't, they keep your K702... No need to get the K712.  First 100 pages of this thread, I got impression there was anger that AKG released the K712, which is baffling to me.

K712 and K702 are no longer flagships, AKG DID deliver a new flagship with different drivers, housing etc, but unsurprisingly has the AKG signature sound, K812.  For those who are oddly upset the K712 sounds similar to the K702, buy the K812 then.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,977 of 6,349

Also go ahead, find ways to mod your Q701 to sound like a K712. 

Q701+712 Pads = K712 . A simple thing : swaping pads .

At least with Sennheiser , or the audio technica that you pointed  out, it's not just  PADs that have been changed , but also internal damping etc as you mentionned
redface.gif

But there is nothing wrong with it , this new pads seams to work great for many people , and they can be easely swaped to K70X/Q701 pads to add different flavors with the same headphone .

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,979 of 6,349

And you'll be ignored for me when it comes to any assessment of any headphone.  Can't be trusted.

Great
redface.gif
, have fun with your K712 .

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,980 of 6,349
As much as I want the 712 to be a difference from the Q701, the main difference really is just the pads. And yes, I compared directly, and swapped the pads. The differences are so minute, it really isn't worth getting the 712 for sound alone. Its worth it for the new headband, and the pads already coming on the headphone which gives the 712 the better sound over the others. Someone who is happy with their Q701 and wants the 712 for testing can just easily get the 712 pads. They may be ever so slightly different, but its so close that unless you had them side by side, you wouldnt know.

I have owned

K701
Q701
K702 Anniversary
and have been sent a 712 and another Q701 for comparison.

Besides my old K701 (7 bumps not 8), they all sounded pretty much the same when using a specific pair of pads.

I would still spend the extra for the 712 over the others due to the better headband. Even the new standard K702 headband isn't as comfy despite being flat.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,981 of 6,349
As much as I want the 712 to be a difference from the Q701, the main difference really is just the pads. And yes, I compared directly, and swapped the pads. The differences are so minute, it really isn't worth getting the 712 for sound alone. Its worth it for the new headband, and the pads already coming on the headphone which gives the 712 the better sound over the others. Someone who is happy with their Q701 and wants the 712 for testing can just easily get the 712 pads. They may be ever so slightly different, but its so close that unless you had them side by side, you wouldnt know.

I have owned

K701
Q701
K702 Anniversary
and have been sent a 712 and another Q701 for comparison.

Besides my old K701 (7 bumps not 8), they all sounded pretty much the same when using a specific pair of pads.

I would still spend the extra for the 712 over the others due to the better headband. Even the new standard K702 headband isn't as comfy despite being flat.

Don't know if this is true or not and hard to say (IMO).
When I removed the K712 pads on the K712 and installed NEW Q701 pads it sounded more like a plain K702 and NOT a stock Q701. Note: The K712 doesn't have any outer grill foam.
K702 is probably "technically" better and has a better measuring driver perhaps (compared to Q701). The Q701 sounds warmer to me than any K702 and could be due a worse measuring driver along with a combination of the outer grill foam and many other things.

The K712 + Q701 pads was definitely thinner/brighter than my old stock Q701. Could be because it was newer.

Want to know what's amusing? Bass port modded Q701 with K712 pads is warmth overdose. WAY too much and it makes everything sound way too congested, but it was kind of nice for some music. You'd probably need to move the outer/inner foam to tune to sound to make it listenable. Some may like it.

K712 is worth it for some of course, but I didn't buy it because Modded Q701 was close enough in sound. I'd say there is only a 5% difference between them. Most might prefer the K712. It depends on music preferences too. I could live with either of them. The difference between the K702 and Q701 is actually larger to me(!).

If I did not have a modded Q701 (and just stock) i'd probably own the K712.

BTW I think out of all versions of K702 variations the K712 probably does have the best measuring driver. It did sound noticeably clearer with some well recorded music. This extra clarity was almost not heard on my Q701, which makes no sense. I don't think it was due to changes in frequency response.

I bet a stock Q701 with K712 pads is actually warmer sounding and smoother than a K712 (more musical and closer to the HD-650 in sound..not as good for studio use). Just slight differences of course.

Oh and I want to forget those flat "doughnut pads" on the old Annie ever existed. Not sure what AKG was thinking.

One thing I couldn't figure out is that some music on the K712 was harsher than on my modded Q701. This was crappy Jpop with peaky upper mids and treble. My guess is that the K712 is just less forgiving of garbage and that is all (just being accurate). I can't say the modded Q701 smooths over this stuff, but maybe a tiny bit in comparison.

I like the K712 but I don't really think it's a smoother sounding version of the Q701 at all.

Disclaimer: My Q701 has 10,000+ hours of use and the K712 I heard probably had less than 1000. Maybe this causes some differences. My Q701 has never had harsh treble unless it's a REALLY bad recording. Even then it's not so bad.

Haha, I bet AKG wishes nobody heard about the Q701 bass port mod. Could be getting less K712 sales. Then again, the Q701 is stupid cheap now and very easy to mod. They probably sell a ton of Q701s. $150 for a Q701 is a ridiculous price. I paid $237 for mine back in 2010 I think it was.

I also wonder what happens to a K712 when you open it's bass port? I bet it would be OK unlike the bass port modded Q701 + K712 pads. I just feel that the K712 probably has more treble than my Q701. There's actually quite a few out there that think the K712 definitely has no lack of treble and can be kind of bright!!

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,983 of 6,349
  yey i just got my k712! It definitively sounds way more friendly than the k701/k702 I used to own.

Awesome.  Is it a keeper?  My impression so far this is a quiet listening headphone, regardless of music.  I enjoy these more at a quiet levels, whereas with AD900x is really fun loud.  It's not that the music deteriorates loud with these K712, it gets less enjoyable for some reason I can't put a finger on yet.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,984 of 6,349

Awesome.  Is it a keeper?  My impression so far this is a quiet listening headphone, regardless of music.  I enjoy these more at a quiet levels, whereas with AD900x is really fun loud.  It's not that the music deteriorates loud with these K712, it gets less enjoyable for some reason I can't put a finger on yet.

I found it the opposite, I really like it and find it funner at higher volumes better, but that's once I tame the treble spike a bit with some tube rolling. For quieter listening I much prefer my K612 as I think it sounds better at lower volumes than the K712.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #2,985 of 6,349

Keeper? I'll put it this way, if I had to sell some headphones, this one would unlikely get the boot. It definitively has the general 700 series sound, but the K712 is definitely the easiest one to enjoy out of the K701/K702/Q701/K601/K501/K500/K400. The K712 comfort is a major winner! I haven't tried the K702.65, nor do I care to really. The 700 series in general presents sound in a wispy, airy way. I believe this is ideal for gaming if you are into that. The K712 found a nice balance of lower frequencies to compensate for its lighter presentation I guess. If I had to compare to other AKGs, the K1K is a completely different beast that presents sound in a completely different way. The K1K is much more forward and direct while the 700 series is far away and indirect. The K240 and K340 series are closer to the K1K than the other flagships and semi-flagships from AKG. The K400/K401/K500/K501 are very similar to the 700 series, but definitively not as similar as the 700 series compared to itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back