The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #2,807 of 6,345
  Based on some Amazon reviews, AKG is relocating to China so their products are also made in China. Can anyone verify this?

Most lower-end and middle-tier AKGs are made in China. Some of the higher end stuff such as the K712, K812, and K3003 are made in Austria. Some K612s are made in Austria, others are made in China. I believe the K702 and the Q701 are now made in China as well. Not sure about the K701.

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2,808 of 6,345
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/harman-to-establish-new-global-developmentcenter-in-suzhou-china-2014-04-21

"BEIJING, Apr 21, 2014 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Harman International Industries, Inc. HAR -0.74% , the global premium audio and infotainment group, said today that it will open a new global research and development center in Suzhou, China in mid 2015, initially adding about 200 new employees at the site. Construction of the new 10,000 sq. m. (100,000 sq. ft.) facility will begin in June. The announcement was made during the Beijing International Automotive Exhibition.

HARMAN has been active in Suzhou since 2000, when a manufacturing facility was opened to produce a variety of Lifestyle audio, multimedia and mobile products. A new manufacturing plant for automotive audio and infotainment systems was added nearby in 2008, and the facility has since expanded several times to incorporate research and manufacturing for multiple HARMAN businesses. HARMAN employment in Suzhou currently totals about 800 people.
“We are excited to grow our footprint in China once again, contributing to more than five years of continuous investment and expansion,” said Dinesh C. Paliwal, HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO. “The Suzhou complex has been instrumental in supporting both our Asia/Pacific customers and global automotive partners who operate from China. This new development center will significantly strengthen our global R&D value chain, while further leveraging the talent and competitive costs of the region.”

The new custom-built development center in Suzhou will focus on global product design for automotive loudspeakers and amplifiers. The two-story facility will include a pilot manufacturing plant for automotive electronics, validation and environmental test facilities, acoustic systems laboratories, and reference listening rooms. HARMAN will invest about US$16 million for initial construction and outfitting, with room for expanding the facility to host up to 350 employees in the future.

HARMAN currently employs about 2500 people in China, at facilities in Suzhou, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Dandong. The Company supports a number of global automotive partners from the site, as well as a growing number of domestic Chinese automakers. HARMAN has provided the premium audio systems for such milestone events as the Beijing Olympics, the Shanghai World Expo, the China National Day celebration, and hundreds of cinema, sporting and entertainment venues across China. HARMAN Flagship Stores in Beijing and Shanghai are introducing thousands of new consumers to premium HARMAN brands. Led by its activities in China, HARMAN sales to the BRIC emerging markets have enjoyed compound annual growth of around 80 percent over the past five years.[...]"

(bolding added)

So, it appears that AKG is not 'moving to China' per se, but that its parent company, HARMAN, is expanding its
operations there significantly.

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2,809 of 6,345
Just opened my wallet and spent more $.  Just got the AKG 712 pro and X3.  Love the headphones and the sound. My favorite headphones are the MDR 7520.  I have never owned AKG's and I was worried they might be too bright but they are smooth right out of my X3 (no extra amp). My husband is complaining about the price and that I look like I am trying to contact aliens! He is calling me donut-head. I just decided to keep wearing them around him just to see the look on his face. HA!

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2,810 of 6,345
I just got the K712, I really like them myself. Initial impressions is that they are not a big upgrade from my K612, but it does have more refinement with a somewhat different sound signature. So far I do consider both headphones to be in the same tier and they both scale up very well. The K712 is the better headphone overall and it's comfort is noticeably better. The K712 pads increases the K612s bass by a very large margin. These are initial impressions, will further update once my new system fully set up and with more use on the K712.

K712: More mid-bass and upper bass. Brighter due to more prominent upper treble. Better dynamics, more layered soundstage(size roughly the same), and better imaging.

K612: More forward midrange. Slightly darker treble. More extension in the bass and a more prominent sub-bass. Very linear and neutral. Slightly less overall refinement.

Just opened my wallet and spent more $.  Just got the AKG 712 pro and X3.  Love the headphones and the sound. My favorite headphones are the MDR 7520.  I have never owned AKG's and I was worried they might be too bright but they are smooth right out of my X3 (no extra amp). My husband is complaining about the price and that I look like I am trying to contact aliens! He is calling me donut-head. I just decided to keep wearing them around him just to see the look on his face. HA!

Congrats on your purchase. I've always liked AKG, they have always been my favorite brand of dynamic headphones overall. Maybe he will stop complaining when he listens to them.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,811 of 6,345
 I've always liked AKG, they have always been my favorite brand of dynamic headphones overall. Maybe he will stop complaining when he listens to them.

The problem is I am accumulating a headphone rack in my closet.  
L3000.gif
 It's odd though he is a DJ, he feels that just buy 1 all around cheaper headphone for all kinds of music and doesn't think it matters much.  He did admit that the K712's sounded good but thinks the MDR 7520 was enough. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,812 of 6,345

The problem is I am accumulating a headphone rack in my closet.  
L3000.gif
 It's odd though he is a DJ, he feels that just buy 1 all around cheaper headphone for all kinds of music and doesn't think it matters much.  He did admit that the K712's sounded good but thinks the MDR 7520 was enough. 

I understand that, I tend to purge some of the headphones I end up not using anymore. My friend is really bad, headphones and tube amps galore. I will probably end up having the K712, K612, and the HD 545 of my current phones. I'm debating what to do with my other two headphones. Wait until you hear the K712 on a full-blown desktop system, they scale up very well. Isn't the MDR-7520 more expensive than the K712?

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,813 of 6,345
 Isn't the MDR-7520 more expensive than the K712?

Yes, however, I bought the sample MDR 7520 at J&R around Christmas (mint with warranty) for $250 plus tax (negotiated down).  I also got the K712 new for $330 plus shipping.  So if you add them together, it is just $80 above MSRP of $500 for the 7520.   I convinced myself that I saved money... 
blink.gif

Edit:  MSRP for the AKG is $699 so I really saved money!!! (sure I did). 

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2,814 of 6,345
  Yes, however, I bought the sample MDR 7520 at J&R around Christmas (mint with warranty) for $250 plus tax (negotiated down).  I also got the K712 new for $330 plus shipping.  So if you add them together, it is just $80 above MSRP of $500 for the 7520.   I convinced myself that I saved money... 
blink.gif

Edit:  MSRP for the AKG is $699 so I really saved money!!! (sure I did). 

Ah I see. How does the MDR 7520 sound? You got a pretty good deal on them. They usually go for around $380.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,815 of 6,345
K712: More mid-bass and upper bass. Brighter due to more prominent upper treble. Better dynamics, more layered soundstage(size roughly the same), and better imaging.

K612: More forward midrange. Slightly darker treble. More extension in the bass and a more prominent sub-bass. Very linear and neutral. Slightly less overall refinement.

Interesting observations. Your impressions remind me of the Senn HD600 vs HD650, with the HD600 and K612 being the more neutral choice, but the "flagships" are musically colored in the opposite directions.

My K712 are out on loan so other people can experience them (I miss 'em), right now I'm listening to my Q701 straight through my iPad Mini, Retina Display (lying in bed). Still enjoying them, and in the almost two years I've had them, I think it's fair to say they've "burned in." You guys can call me crazy, and I know what the K712 box and design goals say, but THIS Q701 at this stage has MORE midbass than the much newer K712 when A/B'd, although the K712 is less amp-picky and sounds slightly tighter (maybe firmer) in the bass and is ultimately my preference. Which is partly a shame, because I don't want to spend a lot of money (rather fill out my system), but I CAN afford/absorb the cost and I'm just more sonically satisfied with it. Wish it had the Anniversary color scheme, or at least one more outer ring of orange, it's weird that the K712 only has a black outer rim while all the other high-end AKGs have better aesthetic repetition, even the K612 has a silver outer ring.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #2,816 of 6,345
Interesting observations. Your impressions remind me of the Senn HD600 vs HD650, with the HD600 and K612 being the more neutral choice, but the "flagships" are musically colored in the opposite directions.

My K712 are out on loan so other people can experience them (I miss 'em), right now I'm listening to my Q701 straight through my iPad Mini, Retina Display (lying in bed). Still enjoying them, and in the almost two years I've had them, I think it's fair to say they've "burned in." You guys can call me crazy, and I know what the K712 box and design goals say, but THIS Q701 at this stage has MORE midbass than the much newer K712 when A/B'd, although the K712 is less amp-picky and sounds slightly tighter (maybe firmer) in the bass and is ultimately my preference. Which is partly a shame, because I don't want to spend a lot of money (rather fill out my system), but I CAN afford/absorb the cost and I'm just more sonically satisfied with it. Wish it had the Anniversary color scheme, or at least one more outer ring of orange, it's weird that the K712 only has a black outer rim while all the other high-end AKGs have better aesthetic repetition, even the K612 has a silver outer ring.

It is a bit like that. The K612 seems to be AKGs version of the HD 600 to my ears, I think the K612 is actually more neutral than the HD 600 but it's treble grain needs to be tamed a bit. The K712 is more musically colored than the K612 that is for sure but it's also a better headphone

I've heard headphones that went against normal expectations. Sometimes some particular headphones sound a little different than the norm, there is some variation between headphones, sometimes it can be quite noticeable. I haven't heard the Q701 in a long time. I find the K712 to have a solid and present feel to it's bass. I personally think the K712 is the best looking of the K7xx and K6xx series. I think they just chose to make the headband wires orange instead.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #2,819 of 6,345
Guys, what's the model number for the K712 pads? I want to put it up on my guide. Also a cable model number would be nice. Tried looking for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back