The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,791 of 6,345
  I would say no. It's an evolution in the right direction, but not something that's going to be drastically different. You're better off taking that money and exploring something else.

There's also a free way to "evolve your K/Q 70x in the right direction."  Search for K701 mods and try the one in which you remove the tape over the bass port.  Having tried this for myself it sounds a lot like the described differences between my K702 and the Annie/712 - for free.

>

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,792 of 6,345

There's also a free way to "evolve your K/Q 70x in the right direction."  Search for K701 mods and try the one in which you remove the tape over the bass port.  Having tried this for myself it sounds a lot like the described differences between my K702 and the Annie/712 - for free.

>

Good advice.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2,793 of 6,345
If you want to try the mod on your Q701, here's a link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/4560#post_9960711

I loved the K712, but I couldn't justify a purchase of a K712 when I already owned a Q701 that was modded.
Even if I had a stock Q701 I probably couldn't do it.

It doesn't help that I can afford a $400 headphone anymore. Too many other priorities.

I could sell my Q701 but they're $200 new now and it's not worth doing that. I actually will NEVER sell my Q701 EVER.

If anyone is interested, here is a comparison I did with the K712 vs the modded Q701:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9815

It was clear to me that the K712 has a higher quality driver, possibly hand selected. The Q701 drivers are probably worse measuring. This is all a guess. Sometimes the same songs sounded noticeably clearer on the K712. If you have lots of HD tracks you might notice it more easily.

The K712 with Q701 pads sounded closer to a K702 than my Q701. I couldn't get it to sound like my Q701, but of course I didn't swap out the Q701 grill and outer foam. Maybe that's the trick.

The K712 actually sounded like it had more upper mids than my Q701(!!). Some harsh Jpop was worse on the K712, but it could be that my Q701 has 1,000,000 hours on it.

So anyway, if I didn't have the HD-650 or Q701, I'd get the K712 if it was $300-$350.

The K712 is definitely a good headphone. I wasn't a fan of the "Annie" at all though..

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2,794 of 6,345
In case anyone here is interested...

Brief comparisons between the K612 w/702 pads and the K712...
  1. K612 extends further down low with more presence
  2. Soundstage difference is hard to really get a grasp on, but it seems the K612 is slighly wider
  3. K712 has a slightly larger mid bass hump
  4. K712 mids are slightly more forward
  5. K712 bass is slightly more refined. Well, the whole spectrum is slightly more refined, actually...
  6. K712 highs are slightly brighter
  7. K712 has better instrument separation
  8. K712 is slightly more comfortable due to the memory foam pads and softer leather headband

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,796 of 6,345
I recently purchased a pair of K712's from a fellow Head-fi'er and am hoping to get some suggestions for a new amp.  I was until yesterday using a Schiit Lyr and Bifrost but the sound was getting to be rather fatiguing to me.  A bit harsh and with a tad more treble than I'd like, this and the very limited control over volume I had certainly didn't help.  Actually pulled the Schiit gear out of my chain and have been enjoying the K712's straight out of a soundcard.  Unfortunately this doesn't provide the quality or power I'd ideally like.

I'm looking for a "warmer" amp, and will likely keep my Bifrost as the DAC.  My budget is ideally under $500, and I'm not opposed to selling off the Bifrost and bumping that up to $800 ish if a better all-in-one or combination is recommended.  Also used is perfectly fine by me.

The Amps I'm currently looking at:

Schiit Asgard 2 (Reviews say it's a bit warmer sounding solid state, wouldn't mind keeping all Schiit gear)
Schiit Valhalla (Bit more control of my sound with the tubes than the Lyr, but OTL with low resistance headphones I've heard isn't the best)
Bottlehead Crack (Once again the OTL issue)
Bottlehead SEX (Upper end of budget, but seems ideal for me.  Have very poor soldering skills but not knowing how to do something hasn't stopped me from trying anyway.)
Woo WA6 (I mean it's an awesome looking piece of kit, but upper end of my budget even used)
Burson 160DS (Another warmer solid state, with integrated DAC so would be selling the Bifrost)
Project Ember (I think it's OTL?  Or opamp outs?  Not real sure)

Much appreciate the help
*Edit for first post, been reading for months and bought stuff off here but hadn't posted until now!

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #2,800 of 6,345
  I recently purchased a pair of K712's from a fellow Head-fi'er and am hoping to get some suggestions for a new amp.  I was until yesterday using a Schiit Lyr and Bifrost but the sound was getting to be rather fatiguing to me.  A bit harsh and with a tad more treble than I'd like, this and the very limited control over volume I had certainly didn't help.  Actually pulled the Schiit gear out of my chain and have been enjoying the K712's straight out of a soundcard.  Unfortunately this doesn't provide the quality or power I'd ideally like.

I'm looking for a "warmer" amp, and will likely keep my Bifrost as the DAC.  My budget is ideally under $500, and I'm not opposed to selling off the Bifrost and bumping that up to $800 ish if a better all-in-one or combination is recommended.  Also used is perfectly fine by me.

The Amps I'm currently looking at:

Schiit Asgard 2 (Reviews say it's a bit warmer sounding solid state, wouldn't mind keeping all Schiit gear)
Schiit Valhalla (Bit more control of my sound with the tubes than the Lyr, but OTL with low resistance headphones I've heard isn't the best)
Bottlehead Crack (Once again the OTL issue)
Bottlehead SEX (Upper end of budget, but seems ideal for me.  Have very poor soldering skills but not knowing how to do something hasn't stopped me from trying anyway.)
Woo WA6 (I mean it's an awesome looking piece of kit, but upper end of my budget even used)
Burson 160DS (Another warmer solid state, with integrated DAC so would be selling the Bifrost)
Project Ember (I think it's OTL?  Or opamp outs?  Not real sure)

Much appreciate the help
*Edit for first post, been reading for months and bought stuff off here but hadn't posted until now!

Have you tried tube rolling?  A pair of closely matched Amperex OG's might cure your ills.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #2,802 of 6,345
Similar. warmer, more bassy, and more natural sounding. Also, much more comfortable.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #2,803 of 6,345
I'm currently testing some of the iFi micro series of components that are on loan for the meet I just organized.  I'm really enjoying their synergy with my K712 so far.  In particular the iCan and iDAC, and also using their Gemini split USB cable attached to a USB battery and their iPurifier. 

I'd love to put this stack head to head with a Bifrost Uber/Asgard 2 combo.  I think it would hold it's own quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back