The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2,312 of 6,345
  Do the pads on these things come off, can see mine getting clammy quite soon. Don't want to wreck them.

Yeah.  Very easily.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,314 of 6,345
You twist.

They're attached via a bayonet lock.
http://audiofanatyk.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/q701mod/akg_q701mod_05.jpg

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2,315 of 6,345
Has anyone ordered replacement pads yet and actually received K712 pads and not Annie pads? K712 are a little deeper with taller "walls".  They go flat less.
I'm thinking of ordering K712 pads but AKG parts keeps saying they're all the same.

Isn't it kind of wrong to send a person with the Anniversary some K712 pads since it changes the sound (a little)?

If I was one of those who paid $500 for a K712 and got Annie pads i'd be kind of mad..

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,316 of 6,345
  You twist.

They're attached via a bayonet lock.
http://audiofanatyk.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/q701mod/akg_q701mod_05.jpg

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. Last thing I want to hear is a crack while adjusting 320 quid headphones.
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #2,318 of 6,345
  Did a review and short comparison to the HE-400. http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9953

Was just comparing both of those side by side one last time before I ship off the 400's and saw your post. I'd agree with most of the things you say. Definitely like aspects of both and prefer some parts of one over the other. I find that the K712's make a lot of my badly recorded songs show just how bad they are, but with the good recordings, they are really great. The HE400's seemed more polite with bad recordings. I definitely prefer one headphone over the other for different songs, but I can't justify owning both anymore. The biggest deciding factor for me is the comfort on the AKG's is miles ahead of HE400 for my particular head.

The biggest difference I notice when switching between the two (SQ wise) aside from the obvious openness is how much more forward the vocals are on the K712. I always felt the HE400's were a bit to distant making them feel dark when compared. I also noticed some of the strange sounding vocals in certain songs on the HE400's that you mention. But man can HE400's do bass well, its rock solid. HE400's felt like they had a more technically capable driver. The ortho driver just gives it a more visceral experience.

Overall I prefer the freq response on the K712, but like I stated I feel that the HE400 is more capable. So I'm sticking with the K712 for it's preferred response and comfort. @spittis Just curious as to which one you prefer after your side by side?

Wish I could have a HE400 driver in a K712 tuned more towards the K712 freq response. That would probably be my ideal headphone :p.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,320 of 6,345
  Was just comparing both of those side by side one last time before I ship off the 400's and saw your post. I'd agree with most of the things you say. Definitely like aspects of both and prefer some parts of one over the other. I find that the K712's make a lot of my badly recorded songs show just how bad they are, but with the good recordings, they are really great. The HE400's seemed more polite with bad recordings. I definitely prefer one headphone over the other for different songs, but I can't justify owning both anymore. The biggest deciding factor for me is the comfort on the AKG's is miles ahead of HE400 for my particular head.

The biggest difference I notice when switching between the two (SQ wise) aside from the obvious openness is how much more forward the vocals are on the K712. I always felt the HE400's were a bit to distant making them feel dark when compared. I also noticed some of the strange sounding vocals in certain songs on the HE400's that you mention. But man can HE400's do bass well, its rock solid. HE400's felt like they had a more technically capable driver. The ortho driver just gives it a more visceral experience.

Overall I prefer the freq response on the K712, but like I stated I feel that the HE400 is more capable. So I'm sticking with the K712 for it's preferred response and comfort. @spittis Just curious as to which one you prefer after your side by side?

Wish I could have a HE400 driver in a K712 tuned more towards the K712 freq response. That would probably be my ideal headphone :p.

Yes the HE-400 is more forgiving with bad recordings. I might have forgotten to write that in the comparison.

I don't really have any comfort issues with the HE-400, but they do feel very bulky compared to K712. It's not a deciding factor for me though. I'm opting for the K712, they are overall better IMO. The only thing I really wish I could keep from the HE-400 sound signature is the way they reproduce drums, it's just awesome.

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,321 of 6,345
FYI, the K712 is down to $375.62, the lowest price ever on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4WXWBE

Who knows how long that will last but RazorDog has them for $375 with free shipping as well with coupon code RAZOR712

http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/akg-k712-pro-open-back-reference-studio-headphone

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,322 of 6,345
Nov 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,323 of 6,345
I Just received my pair of AKG K712 pro and I have to say that i am not a audiophile but I enjoy Music and a GOOD headphone. It is kinda of my first really nice headphones 

I bought many "Gaming" headphones in the past but none of them could compare to the K712 

Astro A40 "Good"
Astro A50 "Bad experience in general" 
Corsair 1400 "The worst of them all"
Bose 2 of them One earpad and the other one I really could not remember the model 
and before the K712 i had the Audio Technica ATH-M50

I am enjoying the AKG it is really nice headphones paired with Asus Xonar Essence STX 

Thanks and Best Regards
MrShooter79

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,324 of 6,345
I think it ends on Monday...

You mean the RazorDog sales? That sounds about right. For those interested in the K712 I wouldn't worry too much about the deadline though. I got mine from Brian at RazorDog for $385 with a previous coupon code and most likely head-fi members will be able to get them for around that price at any time. Just shoot him an email, he's a great guy. Authorized dealer, awesome customer service, and shipping is fast & free. I've bought several cans from Brian and I've never paid close to list price and its always been a great experience. Highly recommended.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,325 of 6,345

You mean the RazorDog sales? That sounds about right. For those interested in the K712 I wouldn't worry too much about the deadline though. I got mine from Brian at RazorDog for $385 with a previous coupon code and most likely head-fi members will be able to get them for around that price at any time. Just shoot him an email, he's a great guy. Authorized dealer, awesome customer service, and shipping is fast & free. I've bought several cans from Brian and I've never paid close to list price and its always been a great experience. Highly recommended.

I guess I have found a place to buy my toy(s) next year! xD 

Either way, I don't own a K712 Pro, but I do have a K702/65 which is said to have a similar sound signature. Loving it a lot!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back