The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #2,298 of 6,345
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,299 of 6,345
  Playing around with the HeadRoom graphs to get uncompensated and unsmoothed results gives this:

May I know how to get this raw results? I cannot find the link in Headroom to get this data. I would be glad if somebody can point me to the link. Many thanks! 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,300 of 6,345
May I know how to get this raw results? I cannot find the link in Headroom to get this data. I would be glad if somebody can point me to the link. Many thanks! 
normal_smile%20.gif

Here you go my friend :) http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,302 of 6,345
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,303 of 6,345

He is asking about the raw FR response (no compensation, no smoothing). I am asking as well, btw 
smily_headphones1.gif

x3

Where is the option to display the raw graph?

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,304 of 6,345

normal_smile%20.gif

To get the different results you reduce the numbers by 1 or 2.

Here is the raw graph of the K712 and HD-650:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4161&graphID[]=851&scale=30

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #2,305 of 6,345

To get the different results you reduce the numbers by 1 or 2.

Here is the raw graph of the K712 and HD-650:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4161&graphID[]=851&scale=30

Thanks.

I take it your talking about these numbers:

"graphType=0&graphID[]=4161&graphID[]=851&scale=30"

So:
graphID[]= xxxx = "Frequency Response"
xxxx - 1 = "Frequency Response Compensated"
xxxx - 2 = "Frequency Response Raw"

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,306 of 6,345
Yep, that is exactly it, you change the graphID numbers. However, you've made a slight mistake in your labels.

graphID[] = xxxx = "Frequency Response (Compensated and Smoothed)"
xxxx - 1 = "Frequency Response (Compensated but Unsmoothed)"
xxxx - 2 = "Raw Frequency Response"

I don't think there's a explicit link or any indication on HeadRoom that these graphs exist so you have to manually edit the URL. Also, anybody know what target curve HeadRoom uses for compensation?

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,308 of 6,345
  Yep, that is exactly it, you change the graphID numbers. However, you've made a slight mistake in your labels.

graphID[] = xxxx = "Frequency Response (Compensated and Smoothed)"
xxxx - 1 = "Frequency Response (Compensated but Unsmoothed)"
xxxx - 2 = "Raw Frequency Response"

I don't think there's a explicit link or any indication on HeadRoom that these graphs exist so you have to manually edit the URL. Also, anybody know what target curve HeadRoom uses for compensation?

OK, thanks.

I just quoted exactly what was written at the top of each corresponding graph when you change the numbers.

Not sure about your curve question, but HeadRoom gets its graphs from Tyll at Innerfidelity, so maybe there's some info here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurement-proceedures-frequency-response

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2,309 of 6,345
Yeah, actually no mistake per se in your labels, just could use the clarification. Thanks for the link, looks like good reading. Skimming a bit, here's the relevant bit:

Free Field – The HRTF when a sound is emitted from a source directly in front of the head in an anechoic environment. Diffuse Field – The HRTF when sound is coming at the head from all directions simultaneously.
Independent of Direction – A rather recently developed HRTF to measure real world sounds in less abstract and highly conditional situations than the two cases above.

I would prefer to have an HRTF calibration curve for the special conditions of two speakers placed 30 degree of axis as that is what the headphones are trying to simulate, but no such calibration exists. After lengthy discussion with the applications engineers at Head Acoustics, the Independent of Direction HRTF was picked as the most applicable for my purposes.

And something else I found:

http://www.head-acoustics.de/downloads/eng/application_notes/Equalization_brochure.pdf

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #2,310 of 6,345

Actually they're exactly the same. Tyll provides the graphs to Headroom and they match what is on his site in almost every case. The graphs that yaluen posted are raw FR graphs with no compensation which correspond to the grey lines on the Innerfidelity FR graphs.

Even if the raw graphs are the same, it's irrelevant to my point.

I am saying the regular FR as presented to the public is quite different. Regular (not raw) FR below:

On innerfidelity the Q701 20Hz response is 5db down from 100-200Hz peak.
On innerfidelity the K712 20Hz response is 3.5db down from 100-200Hz peak.
A comparative difference between headphones of 1.5 db in 20Hz roll off from 100-200Hz.

On headroom.com the Q701 20Hz response is 9db down from 100-200Hz peak.
On headroom.com the K712 20Hz response is 4.5db down from 100-200Hz peak.
A comparative difference between headphones of 4.5 db in 20Hz roll off from 100-200Hz.

If they use the same raw data then they are massaging it quite differently when presenting the regular FR to the public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back