The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,878 of 6,345

Speaking of that, anyone here daring enough to try it on their Annies or K712s? lol

I already did.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/4065#post_9855213

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,879 of 6,345
Unless the mod is measured, I personally wouldn't do it. You're bound to be giving something up.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,882 of 6,345
  ? From what i read, it seems like you did the mod on only the Q701s.

I'm wondering of someone has or will do it to their K712s or Annies. Not just looking for comparison of modded 701s vs 712s or Annies.

I don't own Q701s.

I own K712s, and that's what I did the mod on.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,883 of 6,345

No, I didn't.  I'm not really a mod kind of guy.  When I pay premium dollar for something, I don't expect to put more work into it.  If that's the case...I wouldn't buy a headphone, I would just build one.

Well, that´s a good point, but this is not the typical 1h mod, it is more of the 5-10min kind of mod. I am actually one of those guys that in some cases wouldn´t buy the product if it weren´t mod'able. 
k701smile.gif

By the way, the idea is basically to save some hundreds... Yes, in plural. Just proposing alternatives. For opinions and preferences, the colors.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,884 of 6,345

I don't own Q701s.

I own K712s, and that's what I did the mod on.

Oh.. wha... Damn I'm so confused.
It was a Q701 thread and you mentioned the Q701s + that mod a lot:

For better or worse, a modded Q701 is still not going to sound like an Anniversary or K712.

The mod doesn't transforms it into a flagship-killing headphone or anything.  It's not like a little low bass roll-off was the only issue separating the Q701 from the flagship.

Etc.

but okay, so you were actually talking about the 712s? Interesting..
Still very tempted to mod my Annies, but I dont think it'd be worth it especially since modding LE stuff is typically taboo XD

Might just do something similar to what I did with my K240 Monitors. Cut some rings out of card-stock paper and place it so it covers the openings around the driver, under the ear pad. Might be completely stupid, and will probably kill some of the highs, but honestly it worked for my K240s and I wouldn't mind mellowing out some of the harsh highs on these.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,885 of 6,345
I posted it in the Q701 thread, because that's where all the discussion on the mod was taking place. 

The effects of the mod are still subtle, so it want transform the headphone to a "whole new level" or any of the other typical head-fi hyperbole you may have seen mentioned when describing the mod.  As such, it won't make the Q701 sound that much different from stock and it certainly won't make it sound like the Anniversary or K712.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,886 of 6,345

Still very tempted to mod my Annies, but I dont think it'd be worth it especially since modding LE stuff is typically taboo XD

For what I´ve read from the Annies or the K712, I don´t think the mod will be very good on them, but just speculating as I never heard them. 

I posted it in the Q701 thread, because that's where all the discussion on the mod was taking place. 

The effects of the mod are still subtle, so it want transform the headphone to a "whole new level" or any of the other typical head-fi hyperbole you may have seen mentioned when describing the mod.  As such, it won't make the Q701 sound that much different from stock and it certainly won't make it sound like the Anniversary or K712.

I don´t consider the effects of the mod to be subtle, at least on the Q701, I don´t know about the K712, but that's just my humble opinion. In any case, I doubt a swiping pads had a bigger effect than this mod due to my experience with other cans, though I might be wrong.

The effect of the mod is basically a slight (or maybe not that slight) modification on the FR of the sub and mid bass. By the way, I actually A/B'ed the stock and modded Q´s.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,887 of 6,345

For what I´ve read from the Annies or the K712, I don´t think the mod will be very good on them, but just speculating as I never heard them. 

I don´t consider the effects of the mod to be subtle, at least on the Q701, I don´t know about the K712, but that's just my humble opinion. In any case, I doubt a swiping pads had a bigger effect than this mod due to my experience with other cans, though I might be wrong.

The effect of the mod is basically a slight (or maybe not that slight) modification on the FR of the sub and mid bass. By the way, I actually A/B'ed the stock and modded Q´s.

Totally agree. For me it's enough of a difference to make my HD-650 be useless. Often I'd use that for gaming and movies for the slight extra bass, but now it's not really needed.

I really don't know for sure if the mod will be the same on the K702/K701 and K712. I would have to hear it for myself. I personally don't like the mod as much when the outer grill is totally open so maybe that's why.

So my guess is that for best results it might require the Q701 (or foam behind the K712/Annie grill). When I first did the mod I didn't realize it was meant for the K702, but i'm glad I did it on my Q701. I've now had it installed for a few weeks.

It really does sound like a more spacious/open sounding HD-650 with more treble.

BTW it's not enough for a person to dislike the modded Q701 if they like it stock. There's not much of a bass boost and probably less than the Annie (or K712).

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,888 of 6,345

This is why you need to do the mod on the Q701
normal_smile .gif
No, that's not a suggestion. I really wouldn't say this unless you've tried it.
I should point out that if you love the Q701 stock the mod isn't a big enough change to make you hate it. The Annie still may have a little more bass, but is darker.

I don't doubt what you heard on the modded K712 with Q701 pads at all, but the mod could be VERY different on the K712 and K702. Maybe even making it much worse.

I think it works so well on the Q701 because the outer grill is more closed off. I guess it's all about getting the perfect amount of air into the driver.

Oh and the mod doesn't transform the Q701 into an Annie (or K712) but perhaps into something better (and with more treble than the Annie/K712)
ph34r.gif

I'm willing to bet money there are those that will prefer the modded Q701 to the K712/Annie. Yes, even those that want the fuller mids and a little extra bass.
People who don't like the Annie but want more bass with very few other changes will love this mod on the Q701.

Ok, i'm leaving before someone hurts me.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,889 of 6,345

This is why you need to do the mod on the Q701
normal_smile%20.gif
No, that's not a suggestion. I really wouldn't say this unless you've tried it.

I don't doubt what you heard on the modded K712 with Q701 pads at all, but the mod could be VERY different on the K712 and K702. Maybe even making it much worse.

I tried it on K712 + angled pads, and to me that is close enough to the Q701 in sound to get the idea.  I know you will disagree if I don't hear it on a 100% Q701, but whatever. 

I don't see how the K712 + angled pads could be "VERY different" from the Q701, because the difference between the K712 and Anniversary is NOT "VERY different".  Therefore the difference between the Q701 (which = Anniversary + angled pads) and K712 + angled pads is also NOT very different. 

The mod does make a change, and it does bring up the low bass some, but it's still somewhat subtle IMO. 

I'm just not one to exaggerate differences between subtle changes in things, whether it bet with two solid-state desktop amps, two opamps, two decent dacs, etc.  If the differences is subtle that's how I'll call it.  I don't get carried away with hyperbole and exaggeration when comparing subtle differences.  You'll notice I use the word "slightly" a whole lot when comparing and reviewing headphones.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,890 of 6,345

I'm just not one to exaggerate differences between subtle changes in things, whether it bet with two solid-state desktop amps, two opamps, two decent dacs, etc.  If the differences is subtle that's how I'll call it.  I don't get carried away with hyperbole and exaggeration when comparing subtle differences.  You'll notice I use the word "slightly" a whole lot when comparing and reviewing headphones.

Haha, i'm the same way. Yes, believe it or not. That's why I don't go around saying the ODAC is "way better" than the Modi. Could probably fail a blind test easily. I can barely even tell any difference between my new $250 Micro DAC and the Modi. How lame!

But if I ever get the K712 I'm definitely going to test it with the mod and Q701 pads. Chances are that I might even hate the K702 modded.

If anyone has a K712 and does the mod I'm sure they'll similar results to what you heard.

I would say the modded Q701 is probably a 10% improvement over stock. Better than a silly cable upgrade and it's free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back